Thread: Mountain pass 3xte

Default Mountain pass 3xte

Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying two of these tents for my Alaska trip this August.
    MOUNTAIN PASS 3XTE
    http://store.eurekatent.com/mountain-pass-3xte-tent

Have anyone tried it out? Do you have any other better suggestions?

Thankful for quick replies!
    /Mikael

Quote Originally Posted by adder85 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying two of these tents for my Alaska trip this August.
    MOUNTAIN PASS 3XTE
    http://store.eurekatent.com/mountain-pass-3xte-tent

Have anyone tried it out? Do you have any other better suggestions?

Thankful for quick replies!
    /Mikael
    Hello Mikael,

I know the Eureka Tents product line very well, use mostly expedition outfitter and military models, plus maintain a good connection with company.

Couple details I'd need to know:
    1.) How many people per tent most of the time?
    2.) What will most likely be applications, conditions, etc.? (in rafting forum so guessing a float trip.)

This way I'll be able to provide suggestions.

I have not used this exact model (most I've used are expedition, outfitter, and military models)... yet it combines some features/materials on models that I have.

Hi Brian,
    thanx for the quick reply!
    Yes its going to be used for a float trip in august in gates of the arctic. We are 4 people going so I was thinking 2 tents would be good.
    During the trip we are going to camp alongside the river and also hike up the mountainous areas. What I've heard temperature can vary between 70-30 F.

Glad for any advice you can give me and even suggestions for sleeping bags etc.

/Mikael

Thumbs up Eureka Mountain Pass 3XTE (August float/hike in Gates of the Arctic)

Hi Brian,
    thanx for the quick reply!
    Yes its going to be used for a float trip in august in gates of the arctic. We are 4 people going so I was thinking 2 tents would be good.
    During the trip we are going to camp alongside the river and also hike up the mountainous areas. What I've heard temperature can vary between 70-30 F.

Glad for any advice you can give me and even suggestions for sleeping bags etc.

/Mikael
    I'll preface my reply by relating that I have a good working connection with Eureka Tents representing the expedition, outfitter, and mil-spec (more Alaska-proven) 3-4 season designs. That said (& not any salesmanship), it is more important to me to tell you what this model tent from Eureka is and isn't... its pros and cons... the ups and downs.

Is the Eureka Mountain Pass 3XTE a good tent? Yes.
    Is this tent a reasonable choice for August in Gates of the Arctic floating a river and hiking? Maybe!
    Would it be in my top 3 choices from Eureka Tents on this type of wilderness venture? No!

Pros:
    Suitably sized for 2+
    Quick & Easy set-up
    Excellent Fly material (Fabric, inner-coating and outer treatment)
    Excellent Ventilation (you'll appreciate these good features)
    Vestibule (a must have feature)
    Easy entry/exit w/ windowed visability
    Pretty decent poles
    Light enough

Cons:
    High-wind exposure will be an issue (instability, bend, breakage) *not enough poles -- not adequate tie-outs -- bad stakes.
    Bottom (tho' coated & sealed properly) is light-duty at best... *mistake on highly variable terrain and conditions
    Wind-driven rain or sleet or snow can be a problem... *same reasons as above

Essentially this tent will work out very nicely... BUT... You (and others on trip) must be smart about it, stay conservative, make that extra effort to make all secure, and be careful with set-up/take-downs including the packing/loading. Bring along much better stakes!!! Take repair piping that fits securely over a broken pole just in case!!! Tear-aid tape for fabric damage is another recommendation.

Just go with the K-2 model-- For the $ can't beat her-- only my opinion-- So far so good !! Even the Russian guides don't seem to break them!!
    Goo

Brian.
    Is there any other tent you have tried that you recommend more?

What kind of stakes should i bring along? something like these?
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21776

Brian.
    Is there any other tent you have tried that you recommend more?

What kind of stakes should i bring along? something like these?
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21776
    Going on a multi-day float (not certain if by raft, canoe, kayak?) and day hiking out of river-side campsites I'd go with the tent you have in mind. Take along some of my suggestions from posts above plus maybe get the floor-saver or go small tarp for ground protection.

Reliance stakes in your link above are not very good (brittle and break) This is the style you want! --- never let you down and easy to find!

(Say in a rafting format) I would go as 1st choice (if weight was not a super concern) game plan being base-camping river-side with day hiking.... with The Outfitter Assault 4. This is a really good 3-4 season tent often overlooked!!!

(Say in dual purpose modes some river-side and some backpacking camping) 1st tent of choice is the Alpenlite 2XT. This is a very good 3-4 season set-up. Again, an often overlooked model that is fully featured, dependable, while being relatively lighter-weight. Winner if you can go w/ 2-person tent vs. 3!

I have High-camp models (2-person 4-season tents) in my rental outfitting program... they are very close clones to Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 & 3.1 (that I also use). I'd go so far as to say ventilation as well as water repellent fabric treatment is actually better on Eureka tho' not as bombproof on overall construction/components.

The K-2 XT (North Face clone) that Geaux replied with in my opinion is a bit on the heavy side (for what it is) and not quite a 3 person... Good tent tho' and a good suggestion.

Thank for the quick reply again Brian. I have looked up the different options you mentioned and I really like the High camp model. Is it a good deal if I found it for $370?
    Overall I think this looks like the best tent when I also have in mind that I want to use it next year for a trip to northern Sweden during winter (can be over -20 F).
    Is the floor good enough to skip additional ground protection? and would the stakes you mentioned fit this model as well?

Can you also recommend any sleeping bag (light and for this trip, august, Alaska)?

Thumbs up Eureka High Camp Tent

Thank for the quick reply again Brian. I have looked up the different options you mentioned and I really like the High camp model. Is it a good deal if I found it for $370?
    Overall I think this looks like the best tent when I also have in mind that I want to use it next year for a trip to northern Sweden during winter (can be over -20 F).
    Is the floor good enough to skip additional ground protection? and would the stakes you mentioned fit this model as well?

Can you also recommend any sleeping bag (light and for this trip, august, Alaska)?
    The High Camp is a very good tent selection and will work out perfectly. The Mil-spec stakes I gave you the link for are going to give this set-up great security. 13-15 count on stakes is exactly right!

Here are couple pics for you to show the Eureka High Camp tent here in Alaska and also the excellent fly-fabric protection after a hard rain. I used a ground tarp for additional protection (beats poking unnecessary pinholes or abrasions and cuts down on condensation).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Here are a few pics for outside and inside perspectives:

Sleeping bags are Mountain Hardwear Syntetic 15-20 degree F bags. They are right and left zippered with 'quantum expander' (increases bag girth for comfort) built in. The Bag called Switch 20 long is similar, compact, and not too expensive.

Sleeping pads are ExPed DownMat 9 Deluxe w/ pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images