Thread: Operation Ice Fishing 15 March report

Default Operation Ice Fishing 15 March report

The US Army Warrior Transistion Unit at Fort Wainwright conducted an ice fishing trip at Birch Lake yesterday and Alcanron and I were invited to help organize and assist the event.

About 20 soldiers particpated and most had never ice fished before. The temps hovered around -5 most of the day and the ice was about 3 feet thick. The area was prepared for their arrival by setting up protable ice huts with heaters and punching holes. They arrived in passenger vans and were able to access the lake just fine. The fishing was slow but the soldiers managed to catch a few small fish. Seemed like everyone had a great time.

This event, and others like this event our Warriors attend, may seem like nothing but fun and games. However, the events serve a direct purpose in the healing process; physically, mentally, and spiritually in their road to recovery while they are in transisiton.

I wanted to thank the folks at ADF&G for all the equipment which was loaned for the event. I also want to thank all the men and women serving in the US Military both past and present. I challenge everyone to get involved in ways to serve, those that served us.

birch.JPGhall_fish.jpg

Fish ON!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

This world needs more guys like you and Alcanron! Thanks for taking the soldiers ice-fishing. Both of you definitely deserve a rep!
    Is that a fillet knife in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Great report! I agree, I think everyone had a great time out there whether they caught a fish or not. The young man holding the fish was very pleased with his first fish through the ice

PM Sent to ya
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com