Thread: Shrimp pot bait jars

Default Shrimp pot bait jars

I have a shrimp pot which came without a "bait jar", it does have a center cylinder to hold the jar which is how I used it last year a few times. Obviously with 1" holes access to the bait is far to liberal and it gets eaten rapidly. I found that a water bottle fits very nicely in the space and intend to use it to house the bait, now here is the "silly question" : how many and what size holes should I drill in the bottle ?

I was thinking 1/8" and 3/16" holes at 1 1/2" intervals or such ?

Or am I just over-thinking this ?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I have a shrimp pot which came without a "bait jar", it does have a center cylinder to hold the jar which is how I used it last year a few times. Obviously with 1" holes access to the bait is far to liberal and it gets eaten rapidly. I found that a water bottle fits very nicely in the space and intend to use it to house the bait, now here is the "silly question" : how many and what size holes should I drill in the bottle ?

I was thinking 1/8" and 3/16" holes at 1 1/2" intervals or such ?

Or am I just over-thinking this ?
    I would say those holes would be waaaay too big. Drill the smallest holes possible, like 1/16", and drill as many as you can. Another option would be to use a Dremel and a thin cut-off wheel and make a bunch of vertical slits in the bottle. In general, the bigger the hole, the worse problem with sand fleas.

I tend to agree with Frostbitten and go with smaller holes, but then I prefer longer soaks. I have the orange predrilled bait jars from Donalson Co. and they fit my style of shrimping just fine. The sand fleas cannot get into the bait and I shrimp the same bait for the entire weekend. If I were looking to fill my freezer fast I would drill bigger holes and let those fleas in to really stir the bait up and release a lot scent in a short period of time. But plan on pulling every two to four hours and rebaiting. Just my 2 cents.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Lots of tiny holes as Frostbitten stated. No need to buy bait jars.
    Your on the right track.
    One thing I learned though, don't drill the bottom and the lower 1"-2" of the bait container. Less crap will be on the deck when you toss the pot back over, like lice, little bits of bait and any herring oil will stay in the bait jar.
    If you drill the bottom then it will drain all over your deck.....my thoughts.
    BK

As spoiled one noted, letting the sand fleas into the bait jars works better for distributing the scent more quickly. For short sets, larger holes are the way to go. I prefer smaller holes in addition to a salmon carcass thrown in. The carcass fishes quickly while the bait draws them in over a longer period of time. That being said, last year we made our holes larger and our catch rate went up noticeably.

Mine are probably overkill but it works. If I am doing shorter soaks (under 8 hours) then i only fill the jar 3/4 full to allow more water movement around the bait in the jar and allow the fleas to get in and work the bait into particle trails. If I am soaking overnight or more than the 8 hour mark I pack the jar, this keeps the fleas out for a while longer only allowing them to work the outside of the bait jar but still getting a lot of scent out. I rarely pull an empty jar, usually if I fill it 3/4 full and soak for 6-8 hours it will still have half the jar full and then then I just top it off with some fresh. I like spoiled ones idea of being able to use the same bait all weekend I guess I just mentally never figured it would work as good once it had been in the water 24 hours or more. But the proof is in the pudding and he has some pudding. Maybe I will try setting one of my pots in the string with a jar that doesn't have holes and see what does down in comparison.

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

That is a nice pull of shrimp, Can not wait to get back to shrimping

Thanks for the info, all. My concern was over the sand fleas cleaning me out in no time as they have before. A 24 hour soak with viable bait is what I am after, I will go 1/16" .

I am with you on the salmon carcass, Brian. Been doing that to set it off so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Mine are probably overkill but it works. If I am doing shorter soaks (under 8 hours) then i only fill the jar 3/4 full to allow more water movement around the bait in the jar and allow the fleas to get in and work the bait into particle trails. If I am soaking overnight or more than the 8 hour mark I pack the jar, this keeps the fleas out for a while longer only allowing them to work the outside of the bait jar but still getting a lot of scent out. I rarely pull an empty jar, usually if I fill it 3/4 full and soak for 6-8 hours it will still have half the jar full and then then I just top it off with some fresh. I like spoiled ones idea of being able to use the same bait all weekend I guess I just mentally never figured it would work as good once it had been in the water 24 hours or more. But the proof is in the pudding and he has some pudding. Maybe I will try setting one of my pots in the string with a jar that doesn't have holes and see what does down in comparison.

Gotta love pink! We get a few, too. Less than a month away, boys and girls!

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I love me some pink!

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

You might find that the threads on the water bottles are dificult to open after the goop from the bait dries on them. As far as holes, I agree the keeping sand flees out of the bait isn't necessarily a good thing for catching shrimp. I think the sandfleas both help spread the bait and are also a food source for the shrimp.

Unless you are leaving the pots from weekend to weekend I think you'll find a handful of pellets works just as well as a bait jar full of pellets.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have always used the small tupperware bottles with small holes drilled in it. I try to avoid putting to much bait in the jar to help the water action to let off scent better. I have tried it with full jars and half full with no noticable difference. I pull them every 2-12 hours depending on what else is going on.