Thread: If you have a 90s Arctic Cra... um... Cat...

Default If you have a 90s Arctic Cra... um... Cat...

... you may want to check the rubber on the tether switch pull-off. I have been trying to track down a stop/go problem all winter, even messing with the tether switch amongst all the other potential ignition probs such as kill and throttle switch. Got to looking closer at the tether switch rubber today and saw that the rubber was split with hairline cracks, not allowing it to seat against the switch. Some tightly wrapped electrical tape is a temporary fix. Might save you some chagrin to take a look if you have one of these old beaters.

That's the nemesis of all older sleds, the plastic and rubber breaks down over time, especially when left out in the sun and elements.

On most sleds it's fairly easy to disconnect the tether kill switch, but that should be done at your own risk.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    That's the nemesis of all older sleds, the plastic and rubber breaks down over time, especially when left out in the sun and elements.

On most sleds it's fairly easy to disconnect the tether kill switch, but that should be done at your own risk.
    You're quite right: rotten rubber is the bane of older machines. I had to replace the carb boots on the same machine (just used radiator hose cut to length and lots of black RTV).
    Most machines do not have "dead man" switches anyway, so I would not be adverse to disconnecting it altogether, as I never have connected it to myself.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    You're quite right: rotten rubber is the bane of older machines. I had to replace the carb boots on the same machine (just used radiator hose cut to length and lots of black RTV).
    Most machines do not have "dead man" switches anyway, so I would not be adverse to disconnecting it altogether, as I never have connected it to myself.
    cats are easy to by pass.. they went fro open to closed circuts in mid 90's.. so you will have to experiment a tad.. un plug wires on back of teather..and try to start.. if it does leave them off. if it dont tape them together or make a loop tween them.. works same fo
    r throttle by psses, and kill switch.. most have a plug under the handle bars that by passed all safteys...and required the un plug.. and insert loop.. or not id open system
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here