Thread: Coldest Winter , When will Spring Come ?

Default Coldest Winter , When will Spring Come ?

Heading up north in May for the whole summer , Wondering how much snow if any I can expect when I get to the Kenai Peninsula mid May ?

I know there is tons of snow on the ground there right now , I was just wondering If anyone had any idea when we might start to see signs of spring ?

Thanks , please don't rip me for not knowing , going to be my first summer up north.

Thanks , Chubbs.

Yes, we have had a cold and snowy winter, but no ne can really predict how soon the snow will take to go away. It depends a lot upon spring temps, rain and wind. If we had just one rainy week coupled with temps in the 40s, for instance, the snow would go quickly.
    Generally speaking, you will only find traces of drifted or plowed snow in the deepest shade in May. Watch WeatherUnderground over the next month or so, and see what kind of temps we have.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Last year I had snow a couple feet deep into June at my place; this year might be worse.
    Or, it could be better. What you're asking no one can answer.
    " the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

Leafs will almost always start to bud by May 10 in Anchorage regardless of severity of Winter. Kenai is about a week behind. Just my 2 cents.

Of course no one will know for sure , Thanks for the replies, I will check back at the beginning of May and see what up then.

Thanks ,

Chubbs Peterson Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CHUBBS_PETERSON View Post
    Heading up north in May for the whole summer , Wondering how much snow if any I can expect when I get to the Kenai Peninsula mid May ?

I know there is tons of snow on the ground there right now , I was just wondering If anyone had any idea when we might start to see signs of spring ?

Thanks , please don't rip me for not knowing , going to be my first summer up north.

Thanks , Chubbs.
    I feel optimistic today ! I would think by mid-May that while you will see some patches of snow here and there for the most part it will be gone except for the higher elevations on the Kenai Peninsula. Sea level and a few hundred feet above it should be okay though not totally greened up yet. This is what a typical May looks like.

upper tustumena lake, May 7th (elevation 115 feet)
    flowers.JPG

russian river falls, May 10th (elevation 520 feet)
    rlfalls.JPG

The way I plan my spring/early summer is to do lower elevation activities then and higher elevation activities once the snow has melted off the mountains or the higher trails have dried out some. I'm still hoping my spring plans start in late April (<100 elevation) , but as mentioned before it depends on what the weather brings us. Some nice spring days with warm winds can really put a dent in a snow pile in a hurry. Fingers crossed !

Look on Google Earth, the picture of the Soldotna area was taken April 17,2011, still shows a lot of snow and the river frozen over in spots, this year has been a lot colder and a lot more snow has fallen,, Just a guess, but the snow will be gone when it melts.

By early June the upper regions are accessible and the lower peninsula has greened up.

top of skyline trail overlooking the western half of the kenai peninsula
    June 6 (elevation 3200 feet)
    03.JPG

top of skyline trail with skilak lake in the background
    June 6 (elevation 3200 feet)
    06.JPG

Those pics are pure torture
    " the stars, the snow, and the fire. These are the books he reads most of all." ~John Haines

I'm slowly going insane waiting for summer...haha.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    I'm slowly going insane waiting for summer...haha.
    And it was trying to snow here in Kasilof again today......

Oh and btw...was told Friday that somebody saw a bear out on Swanson River Rd. the other day. Keep your chin up, as we're gainin' on er' folks.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    And it was trying to snow here in Kasilof again today......

Oh and btw...was told Friday that somebody saw a bear out on Swanson River Rd. the other day. Keep your chin up, as we're gainin' on er' folks.......lol
    Beautiful last two days out on the ice of Tustumena. Fishing wasn't bad either. Spring can hang off a little longer, I need to kill some ptarmigan.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Resurrection Trail normally has a good deal of snow in the pass and other areas in early to mid June. I would think you can expect it to stay around longer this year, but that wouldn't slow down any plans to come to AK for me.