Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite .22 mag rifle & ammo?

Default What is your favorite .22 mag rifle & ammo?

I have a Remington 597 .22 mag semi auto with a 4-power scope. I don't think they make them anymore. It is a reliable rifle and great to carry but has a lousy trigger and thus not as accurate as I'd like at 50 yards.

Any ideas on whether I can get a better trigger for this rifle? The Remington trigger on this auto is bunk.

I am looking at other .22 mags. I like the caliber and the bullets. Accuracy and reliability are everything in a rifle.
    What kind of .22 mag do you have? How accurate is it? Did you have to modify yours? What ammo do you use to get the best accuracy.

I'm thinking of bolt guns in a Savage or Marlin or a Henry lever gun (need to try that trigger though). I had a Marlin lever once. It wasn't particularly accurate either... A scope would be best for critters the size of a fox at 20 to 150 yards. What say you?
    Thanks!

I use a Winchester Model 9422M XTR lever action. My dad had it for over 15 years. He's takin' quite a few wolves with it as well as wolverines. I use it for trapping and hunting. Gotten things from hares and ptarmigans to lynx and caribou. I like it, uses open sights dove tails I believe. I also use a sigle six ruger and a ruger 10/22. Both reliable guns for trapping and hunting.

i have a marlin bolt action 22mag, dont remember exactly what model but i like shooting fmj's through it and ive taken a few wolves with it and one caribou from very close range.

The Crickett .22 mag with a short 30 mil scope. currently using the Fiochi 40 gr SP, works very well on fox.

I like the fact that being short works well in the winter with coats ect.

another plus is the weight: being real light, is easy to carry and don't slow you down.

I added sling, and usually keep it in a short carrying case to keep clean and has room for extra ammo (I normally carry only about 100 rds....)

Real nice thing is the price: you can get into something like this for around $200 if you look (and ask at gunshops)

Chris

I have a 597 as well and it has a pretty good trigger. It was a 17 HMR and was converted by Remington to .22 Mag which I like better. I also have Marlin Stainless cut to 17" and a new CZ 455 in 22 Mag both with 4x scopes. The CZ is the most accurate 22 Mag I've ever seen. I also have .22 mag barrel for my TC Contender that shoots very well also. I consider sub 2 MOA as good for the 22 mag in general. The CZ does half that.

You might check to see if there are any aftermarket trigger upgrades for your 597...maybe Valquartson.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Thanks for responding. I'll look into Valquartson. I've heard the CZ .22 mag is accurate. I like the lever guns too so I will keep my eyes peeled for a Winchester. I have a mag cylinder for my single 6 Ruger too. There is a big difference between the mag and 22 LR. I really like the new Marlins. Wolves, wolverine & caribou, pretty cool. I like my Marlin XL7 243 for caribou. For around $320 or so. I pulled it out of a card board box. Cleaned it. Seasoned the barrel a little. It is accurate. It shot white tailed deer, coyote, and caribou with Federal Noslers. Never had to "send it off" to be accurate. I haven't heard of a Crickett but will keep looking and also for Fiochi .22 mag. ammo. Thanks!

I picked up a Ruger M77/22 Mag Varmint model this last weekend and put a older Gander Mountain 3x9 scope on it. Using Win 40 HP I have been able to print a 10 shot group at 50yards that could be covered with a dime. I need to work with some other ammo but so far I am 'happy' with this set up. I hope to be able to use it for fox next year. I am wondering how much damage it might cause on rabbits though. I need to also put a lot more round through it and really see what it can do.
    This could be fun!

my favorit is the hornady 22mag 30gr v-max ammo....
    in my opinion, it is the best all around fur freindly, predator killing ammo, that you can buy off te shelf at a <store.http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/52456-5.html>
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

I have a CZ American 452 .22 mag. with a Leopold 3x9 EFR scope...very accurateClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	581073 shots @ 105 yrds. I put a trigger kit and a firing pin spring in it...I liked it so much I bought another CZ American in .22LR and installed a leopold 2x7 rimfire scope and it shoots great also...

Like stated before, I sold my 223 ruger model 77, my CZ 7.62x39 Carbine, and two 17 HMR's to go back to the 22 mag. Since my requirements are mix of small game and predator in the winter, and beaver for spring/early summer food on the Yukon, I shoot full metal jacketed bullets exclusively. It will bludgeon through the biggest beaver skull, and will punch clean through fox, rabbits, and grouse with no damage. I like rifles that carry at the balance point, and I prefer rapid follow-up shots. I don't like protruding magazines (yes I've owned Marlin bolt actions). For running shot and close range/longer range, a 2-7 power or 1-4 power scope is ideal. Anything more is too much magnification that limits field of view in my opinion. In any hunting scenario, a lever action with no recoil, can place a second shot out of the barrel faster than any bolt rifle.

So for my purposes, I went with a Henry Lever Action Mangum. My only complaint is it's too light, and I had to work on the trigger a bit. A 5.5lb rifle doesn't settle well on long off-hand shots. I've been shooting animals with the 22 mag since 1996, I've even shot a white tail deer with it many years ago. If you don't use FMJ's on small game, you'll get alot of meat damage. The 22 mag is also my choice for home defense using 40 grain speer gold dot, or 50 grain hollowpoint federal game shock. Coyotes and larger predators, I strive to get that second shot if they're still running.

Out of the 22 mag FMJ ammo I've tested over the chronograph, the Federal Target-grade FMJ's are the most consistent regarding velocity. If I could do it all over again, I'd go for the octagon barrel Henry because it adds about 8 oz of forward weight, bringing the rifle to 6 lbs. even. It would be better for offhand shooting, but still be plenty light enough. I also use a Taurus 8 shot 22 mag revolver for survival and home defense. It weighs 27 oz and is very compact, reliable, and moderately accurate.

Predators, small game, medium game (beaver): Federal 40 grain FMJ

Home defense: 40 grain speer gold dot (serous velocity from short barreled pistols too)

Survival Pistol load: 50 grain Federal Game Shock. For some reason, it doesn't shed much velocity in a pistol, but is slower in a rifle than most other loads.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010814.jpg  

matnaggewinu

I have a shooting bench in my back yard and a few of my friends come by and shoot from time to time. A couple of them shot some Hornady 30 gr. V-max 22 mag rounds the other day and they impressed me a lot. I have not shot them yet but I picked up a couple boxes to try. I have owned the Win. 9422, M77 all weather, and Marlin bolt action in 22 mag. All three shot good but the cheap little Marlin shot the best of the three. The magazine sticking out of the Marlins is the biggest complaint on them I have heard so far.

Any rimfire caliber if I had my choice would be a CZ452 with Leupold 3x9 EFR. Perfect combo for me.

I have swapped out all of my rimfires to the CZs in the last couple months. They need a little smoothing out and $15 trigger job, but then they are sweet. I went out today and did some calling with the HMR. No takers, but stpped by the range for some shooting after, very impressive rifles.

I have a 597 and like it better than most 22 mags I have owned(marlin,winchester,ruger). It is very accurate and I like the semi auto feature for follow up shots. A friend of mine just got one and did some volquartsen mods (trigger and hammer I think) and he is very happy. I would not sell what you have unless you find something that you like better after owning it for a while.
    www.kodiakislandadventures.com
    37'x14' Allen Marine Catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Like stated before, I sold my 223 ruger model 77, my CZ 7.62x39 Carbine, and two 17 HMR's to go back to the 22 mag. Since my requirements are mix of small game and predator in the winter, and beaver for spring/early summer food on the Yukon, I shoot full metal jacketed bullets exclusively. It will bludgeon through the biggest beaver skull, and will punch clean through fox, rabbits, and grouse with no damage. I like rifles that carry at the balance point, and I prefer rapid follow-up shots. I don't like protruding magazines (yes I've owned Marlin bolt actions). For running shot and close range/longer range, a 2-7 power or 1-4 power scope is ideal. Anything more is too much magnification that limits field of view in my opinion. In any hunting scenario, a lever action with no recoil, can place a second shot out of the barrel faster than any bolt rifle.

So for my purposes, I went with a Henry Lever Action Mangum. My only complaint is it's too light, and I had to work on the trigger a bit. A 5.5lb rifle doesn't settle well on long off-hand shots. I've been shooting animals with the 22 mag since 1996, I've even shot a white tail deer with it many years ago. If you don't use FMJ's on small game, you'll get alot of meat damage. The 22 mag is also my choice for home defense using 40 grain speer gold dot, or 50 grain hollowpoint federal game shock. Coyotes and larger predators, I strive to get that second shot if they're still running.

Out of the 22 mag FMJ ammo I've tested over the chronograph, the Federal Target-grade FMJ's are the most consistent regarding velocity. If I could do it all over again, I'd go for the octagon barrel Henry because it adds about 8 oz of forward weight, bringing the rifle to 6 lbs. even. It would be better for offhand shooting, but still be plenty light enough. I also use a Taurus 8 shot 22 mag revolver for survival and home defense. It weighs 27 oz and is very compact, reliable, and moderately accurate.

Predators, small game, medium game (beaver): Federal 40 grain FMJ

Home defense: 40 grain speer gold dot (serous velocity from short barreled pistols too)

Survival Pistol load: 50 grain Federal Game Shock. For some reason, it doesn't shed much velocity in a pistol, but is slower in a rifle than most other loads.

hows the accurace of that lever action?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Good enough velocity to pop any small animal at 200 yds away. All bullets (even at 200 yds) punched clean through two pieces of thick plywood and two layers of cardboard. I use a ballistic plex recticle. second notch: 150 yds. Third notch: 200 yds.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-the-household

matnaggewinu

I am the proud owner of a Kodiak 22 mag autoloader. It's a close copy of the Remington, and it is a tack driver... I have a "cheap" simmons 3x9 on it and it really is a great rifle.....

ciao y'all

reuben
    "SUA SPONTE"
    "Illigitmati non Carborundum"

I'm 51..... thats 12 in man years.....

I used to have a Heckler and Koch semi auto 22 mag rifle, they haven't made them since the 80's, that was a nice rifle. I now have a Ruger77/22 and a ruger single six and a Kel-Tec PMR30, all in 22mag. I would trust a 22mag against any animal in North america except bears. I would trust it against bears even in a hunting situation where I put the bullet into the side of the head from a safe distance.

i am going to go out on a limb here and say that 22 mag is one of the best cartridges ever made. my other favorites are 22 lr, 223, 308, 30/06, and a 357 mag shot out of a Highway Patrolman. I have no earthly idea why anyone would go on a moose hunt with a 338 magnum or a bear hunt with a 460 Weatherby when a plain old 308 would do just as good.

I truly believe that the reason a lot of people injure animals and never recover them is because they are shooting some ridiculously over-powered rifle that they are scared of in the first place and they jerk the trigger and hit the poor animal in the stomach or the back leg.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post
    I truly believe that the reason a lot of people injure animals and never recover them is because they are shooting some ridiculously over-powered rifle that they are scared of in the first place and they jerk the trigger and hit the poor animal in the stomach or the back leg.
    I agree. I recently found the remains of a whitetail doe that was shot in the right hip with an arrow last Fall and died probably from starving to death. Mistakes happen and the hunter probably was not trying to wound the doe, rather they probably took a bad shot from too far away and exceeded their capability to deliver a vitals shot. I'm a bow hunting instructor and I will talk to the guide who leases the property but I suspect he will just say it was an accident. I once had a guide tell me on a similar situation that it was "just a doe" so we didn't look too hard for it. I reported him to DNR.

Animals deserve a quick death. I'm sure a .22 Mag will kill a moose with a good head shot or even a heart/lung shot but I think you will do better with the .30-06 or .308. I do agree the .22 Mag is a fine round and certainly has a place in my gun rack!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post

i am going to go out on a limb here and say that 22 mag is one of the best cartridges ever made.
    Aint going out on a limb, it's true as far as I'm concerned. Where else you find a cartridge that can be chambered for a serious home defense bullet (gold dot) for killing humans, shoot small game with no damage (fmj's), and punch a clean hole through any fur bearing animal out to two hundred yds(fmj's)? The biggest animal I've shot with the 22 mag, was a 200 lb deer (instant kill). Took a 175 yd shot on a big coyote, that was a bang/flop. Biggest beaver I ever saw.....one shot at 70 yds. That darned thing fed five people for three days. As a survival pistol with 100 rnds, the weight is minimal too.

So.....survival, home defense, small game and fur. Yes.......12 dollars is cheap for a box of 50, I don't care who say's otherwise.

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Aint going out on a limb, it's true as far as I'm concerned. Where else you find a cartridge that can be chambered for a serious home defense bullet (gold dot) for killing humans, shoot small game with no damage (fmj's), and punch a clean hole through any fur bearing animal out to two hundred yds(fmj's)? The biggest animal I've shot with the 22 mag, was a 200 lb deer (instant kill). Took a 175 yd shot on a big coyote, that was a bang/flop. Biggest beaver I ever saw.....one shot at 70 yds. That darned thing fed five people for three days. As a survival pistol with 100 rnds, the weight is minimal too.

So.....survival, home defense, small game and fur. Yes.......12 dollars is cheap for a box of 50, I don't care who say's otherwise.
    Talking about beaver, one thing I just want to throw out there is to NEVER shoot a beaver in the body. that has to be the toughest darned animal in the world in that respect, but you can put them down easily with a 22 to the head. I nailed one with a 44 Mag Federal hollow-point once, and then again and again, and it still managed to get into it's den. A friend of mine shot one with a 30/06 4 times in the body and it still went underwater and disappeared.

And the big BUTT is...I have killed one with a single shot from a 22LR with a head shot. I wouldn't recommend ever shooting a beaver in the water unless you are prepared to get nasty and dive in the water to retrieve an animal that may or may not be dead, that can literally bite your hand in half in an instant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast