Thread: Progress of a dog

Default Progress of a dog

I know there is no recipe for training and all dogs learn at a different rate but wanted to get some feedback on what task a 5 month old should be accomplishing for the most part. I am treading water right now till my Lardy program comes in but here is what we have accomplished on our own.

Here is where we are.

Sits reliably on a leash to both voice and whistle
    Sits when she come back to me as long as I am close and able to reinforce the command (ie when she is a long way off and hard charging for my side she blows right throught the command)
    Beginning to sit even when we are in full stride on a walk

Stay -- very reliable only occasionally do I have to even use the command and most of the time even then it was probably not necessary. I can sit her walk off never use the command and 9.5 out of 10 times she stays put and waits for me to blow the whistle ... furtherest I have been is 60-70 meters. Also will stay and way to be sent when the bumper is thrown

Here-- hard charges when I blow the whistle for me -- she still over runs me by 5-10 feet but immediately returns for the next task. We just started on leash beginning to finish and she is picking it up fairly well. did it dragging the lead the other day.

Heel-- understands heel I would give her a solid B- on this task on leash and a C when dragging the lead... seems to be worse early in the training sessions as she has not settled in

Retrieving--- waits to be sent showing signs of steadiness -- I do not make her wait very long as I want to keep her drive up. Will bring it back to me (no finishing) but brings it to me for praise. Walks with the bumber at heel and if she does get the mindset to keep it will alway bring it to me if I start to move away from her.
    She also is fetching when we walk by the bumper and I give the command to fetch it up. Bottom line loves the bumper and wants it bad. She is crack baby when I pull out a bird.

Downfalls are:

Will not sit on her own with the bumper only able to accomplish this when I put her at sit then give her the bumper.
    Breaks sit when birds are introduced as she can not stand to see a real bird laying out.
    Seems to be a little stubborn at times with heel especially early on during the training session.

Ok enough -- tell me what you think and also post where your dog is as I love to read about other dogs -- my wife tells me I am overly crazy about my dogs and she is probably right.

Sounds like your doing fine with a 5 month old pup. Need more leash and long lead time. Keep it simple and get the most basic commands down real solid. You will find a 30' lead will be your best friend for the up coming year. If she is charging by on the return, stomp on that 30' lead when she passes and command her back in. Sit means stay there sitting so try to get away from using the stay command. Sit means sit until told otherwise. Remote sits are real important if for no other reason the keep your pup out of danger. Keep working on heel. Retrieves.....don't let her retrieve if she makes any sign to break. Remember the long lead? I will go get the bumper myself before I let them go on a break. Remember, finish on a positive note even if all you can get on that session is a solid sit. Keep your cool and if it ain't working out on that session put her up and try again another day. Get with some others in a training group. Keep up the good work, it's worth it. Duckdon

I think it's time to buy an ecollar and get the pup used to wearing it. Collar condition next month, force fetch the month after and on to the rest of basics. By the time we have decent water the pup will be ready for swim-by finishing her basics. Once basics are in place transition for a month or so and you've got a beginning advanced dog at the end of summer. Work on her all winter getting her real used to marks with blinds amongst them, plus marking every weekend and hollidays and you've got a MH/qua/NAHRA senior level dog that's still elegible to run derbies the summer of 2013. Yahoo.

NDH, Howard is spot on, follow his basic program and your dog will be fine. Also, you are perfect candidate for the spring training class being put on by the local dog clubs every saturday morning. You get advice and lots of help from a former pro trainer, small classes, individual attention, indoor training for when cold or rainy, you can't beat the value. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...aining-classes I'm sure you could just show up Saturday morning, try one session and decide if you want to attend the rest, see how it goes. This is not just for competition dogs, but hunting dogs and pets are welcome. Lots of advantages of meeting a few new people with the same interests as you. Bud
    Wasilla

Oh man now I am nervous -- I was expecting to hear catch her up your behind. thanks all for the help.

As for the long lead, I went out to train right after posting this thread and started using it then. I have used it once before but she was not ready to be off so I discontinued. Funny story... was it was in between snows and the road was really slick... she came running by and i stepped on the lead commanded HERE she hit the end of the lead pulled me off my feet and down I went, when I rolled over groaning from hitting the ground there she was sitting and looking at me like get up what is next HA.

I do not have her kennel cough shot but will work to get that accomplished so that I can attend the spring classes.

I am looking for a collar now. I have a dogtra 1900 but looking for another (tritronic if the wife will allow me) for her since the 1900 is not holding a charge very well.

Once again thanks for the help.

You didn't mention if you are shooting around her yet?

have not shot around her yet. was thinking abou going to the range and walking her around. Start real far back at first and over a few trips move up closer. I would imagine with the warmer weather people are beginning to get out and shoot some trap and skeet.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    have not shot around her yet. was thinking abou going to the range and walking her around. Start real far back at first and over a few trips move up closer. I would imagine with the warmer weather people are beginning to get out and shoot some trap and skeet.
    I trained my chessie to the writtings of Richard Wolters. Even when they were pups, he would shoot a cap gun around them. When he would feed them he would shoot the cap gun to associate the sound with something good. I don't know if I would go to the range right away....may be too intense for her with all the people and and noise all at one time. You might just want to play a little fun fetch (not training but like with a ball or toy) around the yard and pop off a cap gun while she is playing.