Thread: Whittier Silver Charter recs

Default Whittier Silver Charter recs

Looking for a recommendation for a Whittier charter operator to take me, my 70 year old father in law and my five year old daughter fishing in August 2012 (for silvers). The boat will need to have a head and be access-friendly. My father in law will probably need to sit while fishing. Anyone have any recommendations?

Here are a couple to look at:

http://www.pwseco.com/faq.html

http://www.fishwhittier.com/

Both captains, as well as there boats, are top shelf. Dave and Matt will both put you on fish.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I should have added ak4star to my list. He will also put you on the fish. He has a smaller boat, but it is very capable. Cool graphics on the hull, too. Looks fast at rest.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Are you dead set on Whittier? The coho run has been hit and miss, more miss than hit the past few seasons out of Whittier so if you are after a good day of catching coho I'd suggest you consider Seward over Whittier.

Nothing against any of the charters out of Whittier and hands down I prefer boating in PWS. But when it comes to bringing cohos on board, I take the seward hwy to it's terminus and head out to Chevalle Narrows.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

If I didn't have a boat I would go out with Kristen on the Saltwater Addiction, http://www.saltwaterexcursions.com/
    I know she slayed the silvers last year and took a few nice Halibut, she also does some shrimping...I hate to admit it but she's a better fisherman then I'll ever be...

I'll second Muskie: Kristen finds fish, has a new boat, and has new gear. Good gear is a bonus! I won't admit whether she's a better fisherman than me...

We like Seward for Silvers too.
    Wasn't the Elmendorf Fish Hatchery re-model part of the issue @ Whittier?
    My selective memory recalls discussions of increased numbers of smolt which I had hoped will resuscitate Whittier's Silver run in coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Are you dead set on Whittier? The coho run has been hit and miss, more miss than hit the past few seasons out of Whittier so if you are after a good day of catching coho I'd suggest you consider Seward over Whittier.

Nothing against any of the charters out of Whittier and hands down I prefer boating in PWS. But when it comes to bringing cohos on board, I take the seward hwy to it's terminus and head out to Chevalle Narrows.

Default Whittier Halibut fishing

The Captain with the cool graphics on his boat will put you on the fish, and takes you far out to catch them. I have fished with about 15 different boats and captains and must say my trip with this captain was my worst one because of his disposition and lack of patience even when he had to untangle a line or if anyone asked him for any advise he was somewhat put off. We did however limit out on some nice fish, his boat was fine but after a full day of fishing our group was glad to return to Whittier and hit the tunnel towards home.

Matt at www.fishwhittier.com is certainly my choice. He has a great boat with lots of room and you can't find a better captain to go fishing with. He is a marine biologist by training but truly loves being out on the sound looking for fish.

Matt was my first choice, but he was booked for the day I needed when I called him. He sounded like a great person on the phone.
    I did reserve our trip about 4 months in advance. From a post on this board, I booked with the Capt which has the cool graphics on his boat. I know that everyone has his bad days but this person went out of his way to be an *** H*** . If we held the reel facing down on the pole we were snapped at, If the tips of our fishing poles accidentally touched his home made canopy on his boat he said that is going to cost you $100.00 if it happens again. Just stuff like this went on all day. We were fishing with jigs, which was fine, but if they wern't put in the pole holders fast enough or just perfect when he would move his boat to a new area, then he made a sarcastic comment. Yes I have been on charters when there were passengers who got a little out of hand because of alcohol, but on this charter there was no alcohol consumed by anyone.
    I believe that all 3 of us are pretty easy to get along with, and probably should have said something to the captain, but we just tried to smile our best and keep our mouths shut. And yes all 3 of us are very experienced fishermen. I did enjoy going out of Whittier, but next time will fish with Andy or a few others in Seward. And to add additional insult, we were charged $20.00 more a person than his web site price that is still posted even now.

iv fished with the same caption at least 30 times in the last 10 years great boat great caption. no trouble with him or his boat. yes he does joke around about hitting his top with the rod but explains why and what you are doing wrong when it happens and NO he has never charged anyone for hitting it I lost a big fish after hitting the top when it cut the line all you have to do is leason he trully loves what he does. and is by far the best jig caption I have ever used. as for the price i looked at his web sight it sayes (prices are subject to change) again i think its you not him he has a great track record with everone i have ever sent him.