Thread: Advice for fishing trip with 5yr old little fisherman (Tok Area)

Question Advice for fishing trip with 5yr old little fisherman (Tok Area)

Looking for ideas and tips to make a trip for a little Fly fisherboy.

Background
    -Live in Juneau
    -5 yr old boy addicted to fishing, bugging me to go on camping/fishing trip like daddy goes on, my trips are hardcore fishing, he is still too young to keep up and my fishing buddies think hes too young to. He has been fishing with me in Juneau area since he was 3.
    -We are more fly fisherman / fly fisherboy than conventional tackle
    -I do not own a boat....yet
    -Want to try something different/out of town. Thinking about a road trip from Haines to the Tok area for some grayling fishing. Before kids I drove AK highway from Skagway/Haines to Anchorage several times. I like the area around Tok. Used to stop along the road to fish for Grayling but really didn't really have a clue what I was doing.
    -Undecided but wife and 2 year old girl may join us. She is a bit young still but i have taken her fishing since she was 3 months old. I would rather keep it father and son though.

Basically I am looking for any advice you would be willing to give me to make this trip fun for the little one and catch lots of fish. Road accessible and not to much of a hike. 2-3 miles is generally his limit. Also looking for non crowded areas, that is why i thought the Tok area would be good. Fish dont have to be big, he doesn't care. Mid June to September time frame.

Feel free to PM me

Thanks ahead of time.

Some free advice from an old man..
    ditch your so called fishing buddies who think a 5 yr old is too young to take fishing.
    do all you can to encourage the 2 yr old girl to fish... little girls catch bigger fish than little boys (big boys too!)
    there are no words (in my vocabulary) to describe the fun and enjoyment realized by having fun fishing with your growing children..
    and when you get a little long in the tooth, there is more enjoyment to be had from those trips when your kids/grandks say to you "Hey Dad/Gramps remember the time we went .............. and caught.......... and you fell in and got all wet,,, or something similar...!!!

I'm with Old John. If your partners don't want to fish with kids, they're missing the point. Your kids would have fun casting in a mud puddle as long as you're doing it with them. My 2 year old daughter loves going "shishing" with dad, there's no hooks on her line yet, but she drags a hootchie on a snoopy pole on every trip.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

To all you fisherman that take your kids fishing...

Good job and please keep it up!!! Its one of those quality time things you get to spend with your kids, even though at those ages they don't know that. Here is a funny story (but it is totaly true). Back in the day, I used to live off of tudor road and after each good rain we would have a huge puddle in our parkinglot. Me and my two boys (ages 3 and 5) would bring out the fishing gear and lawn chairs and fish that puddle. We called it "Conrad's Pond" (that my last name). The 5 year old loved to throw and retrieve a lure while the 3 year old would rather use a bobber with bait hangin under it. We would fish that puddle for hours. Of course we never caught anything but we didn't care. We called it practice for the weekend out-of-town trips to where the real fish were (with the boys we would go to the Eklutna Tail Race before the state ruined it by opening up the parking lot and advertising that spot to everyone in the country). Since the boys have grown up now, everytime I see a big puddle I think about those practice sessions that we had in the parkinglot. By the way, both boys caught real kings before they were 4 and 6. Just thought I would share that with yous guys... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I have a 5 yr grandson that I take up on the Chena. Even bought a small camper to pull behind the truck. Park the camper on a gravel bar, make sure there is some sand for the boy to play in when not fishing, and then go flail the water. I hook the fish on flyrod and he "helps" me pull the line in. We look at the fish and release. He also likes to use the kids fishing pole with a bobber and some type of hookless jig on the end to try his luck. Of course he cant hook anything and I have to explain that he "must not be holding his mouth right". I have found that fishing some sort of pond rather than running water works better for a chance of the boy actually hooking a fish. Dont know whats around Tok, but bet there is a pond or small lake somewhere where the grayling are just waiting for you and the family. And yes, take the wife and daughter also. That way you may be able to get a little fishing in for yourself.

I have twin boys who will be turning 3 in April. They have been with me on several outings since they were 4 months old. I think this year will be the one that they actually hook into a fish themselves. Spring time lake fishing with a kids pole a bobber and some worms will get them on some fish. They have ice fished with me several times as well and really enjoy it. I tell you, there is nothing better then hearing your child tell you "I wanna go fishing with you dad." I hear it several times a week now ever since taking them ice fishing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Some free advice from an old man..
    ditch your so called fishing buddies who think a 5 yr old is too young to take fishing.
    do all you can to encourage the 2 yr old girl to fish... little girls catch bigger fish than little boys (big boys too!)
    there are no words (in my vocabulary) to describe the fun and enjoyment realized by having fun fishing with your growing children..
    and when you get a little long in the tooth, there is more enjoyment to be had from those trips when your kids/grandks say to you "Hey Dad/Gramps remember the time we went .............. and caught.......... and you fell in and got all wet,,, or something similar...!!!
    I didnt mean to sound as if my buddies and I dont fish with him in tow. We do all summer long on our local streams. They are more of an Uncle to him than his true uncles. I was being specific to the bigger annual fly in camping/float trips we do. These are the trips we have done every year where we fly to a remote location fish hard all day which generally means traveling down 6-10 miles of water. He wouldnt be able to keep up currently. We will fully integrate him into those trips when he gets older and able to keep up. Its not that i am choosing him or friends. If I had to choose between the annual fly in trip or a trip with my kid, my kid wins hands down.

This is the first year I am trying to plan a true multi-day camping/fishing trip with him. My buddies would probably join if asked as well but i am looking to establish the annual tradition of a fishing trip with him.

Also I will be taking my daughter fishing all the time. I really look forward to it. I even bought her a little pair of pink camouflage waders to join us more this year. I had her in a chest pouch fishing on a stream when she was 3 months old.

Here is a pic of him at 3 and my daughter was 3 months old in the pouch when this was taken

Last summer at a little over a year old she joined me up river several times when the wife could come and help me control both. Problem is my 5 yr old still need assistance crossing streams and dealing with the fish. He is a rabid fisherman and as all young kids always wants to be catching fish. He has even caught a couple solely by himself from casting to landing to release. Though the fish gets a little beat up in the process of being drug up the rocks. I try to help to keep the fish in good condition.

Having a two year old next to water worries me and with the 5yr old too, I cant pay as close attention to her and him at same time. I am a little neurotic about their safety. Fishign with him and soon here makes my summer. I look forward to it and I really hope to pull a good fishign trip off this year to start the annual tradition.

I have twin boys who will be turning 3 in April. They have been with me on several outings since they were 4 months old. I think this year will be the one that they actually hook into a fish themselves. Spring time lake fishing with a kids pole a bobber and some worms will get them on some fish. They have ice fished with me several times as well and really enjoy it. I tell you, there is nothing better then hearing your child tell you "I wanna go fishing with you dad." I hear it several times a week now ever since taking them ice fishing this year.
    Sounds familiar. I hear I want to go fishing at least a couple times a week now. Though i have to tell him that no fishing yet. During summer after we start, every day he waits on the porch in his waders around the time i come home with rod in hand. When i pull in he runs to car and says lets go fishing. I never can refuse nor would I.