Thread: Big Lake to Shell Lake?

Default Big Lake to Shell Lake?

Planning a trip this weekend from Big Lake area to Shell Lake. I'm just tagging along with other more experienced riders. Any route advice we could use? Our departure will actually be from the Burma Rd., Lake Stephan area. Heading to a cabin on the West/Southwest side of Shell Lake. It will be my first time spending more than 20 minutes astride a snowmachine. The others grew up on them though.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Have fun... Straight to the Big Su, head up river to Scary Tree, stay left up the Yetna, pastLuces, thru Skwetna, then about 20 miles and you are there. Around 180-190 miles round trip from Big Lake...

Well we had a glorious trip this weekend from Big Lake to Shell and back. Hard riding for sure. I still don't know what or where Scary Tree is, but we got on trail 11 to the river, stopped at Luces both times. Easy to follow trail the whole way, beautiful weather and nothing broke, nobody hurt. Buddy and I climbed to the top of Shell Hill as the sun was setting Saturday evening, wonderful view! Of course big thumbs up to Zoe and Tanner at the Shell Lake Lodge for a wonderful breakfast Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    Well we had a glorious trip this weekend from Big Lake to Shell and back. Hard riding for sure. I still don't know what or where Scary Tree is,
    Scary Tree no longer exists.. It used to be where the Big Su trail hooked up with the Yentna trail.. It's where the 3 main trails (Mckinzie; Yentna; Su) come together.. One winter someone hung a sign up on the river bank, but I haven't seen it this winter.

We've been thinking about doing the run up the Yentna, leaving Big Lake rather than going all the way to Willow, but not sure where to leave from in Big Lake? Where do folks typically park and leave from?

On the lake or at north shore campground
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Scary Tree no longer exists..
    I had to laugh, as this conjures up memories of several years ago when I did some research work on oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. The directions to get to one rural helipad for the flight out read, "and then turn left where the gas station used to be." This was south Louisiana were vegetation grows immediately over anything left unattended for any length of time. The gas station had apparently been razed years ago, so there was absolutely no trace...
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"