Thread: Sportsman 6x6 front tire size question

Default Sportsman 6x6 front tire size question

My 6x6 has 25x8-12 tires on the front. Was thinking of going wider, maybe Kenda Executioners in 25x10-12.

Has anyone done anything similar? Does the extra 2 inches of width fit on the existing rim? How does it affect handling? Do the wider tires rub on anything?

you might have to shim them out with washers to keep from rubbing, but otherwise you should be good

No problem using the stock rim but like was mentioned you will need about 1" of spacer to clear the tie rod end.

Stock 8" tires -

10" wide Swamp Witch tires -

You will love the extra floatation. Tires make a huge improvement and the extra width really helps to keep the front end from diving in to holes.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

When I bought my 6x6 Big Boss I opted for 27" mud lites. But the dealer did not warn or tell me about the rubbing on the front tie rod ends with 10" wide tires. They did not tell or warn me to use spacers. So now I have the rubber boots on my tie rod ends all torn off. If you go 10" wide make sure you use spacers. Now I have to fix the rubber boots and still get spacers.

Great, thanks guys. Can you shim out 1" by stacking up washers, or do you need a ring type spacer? Plus you will need longer studs, correct?

I bought ring style spacers which work well and are very strong. They also make stud spacers but I'm not sure how strong they would be. Seems like a lot of torque to put on the stock studs. The ring style has their own studs that are offset from the stock studs. The spacer is mounted to the hub with the stock studs and the tire is mounted using the spacer studs. (I think that makes sense...)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

That does make sense, thanks. I also found quite a few threads via Google about moving the tie rod from its stock position on top of the steering arm at each hub, to the bottom. May require adjusting toe in. I think I will try that first, I don't really want it any wider anyway, because wider might make it harder to steer and fling more mud, besides its free!

What year is your BOSS? I am about to throw down money on a new one (2012) and was planning on 27" tires.. I asked the dealer about the size and he said they fit just fine!! I have read a few more forums and have heard similar stories to yours, but they all say the newer years will fit the 27's no problem!

Mine is technically not a "Boss", those are either the old school 6x6 with the 400 2-stroke engine, or the later models with the V-800. I have a 2002. I am staying with the same diameter tire, just going 2 inches wider, so I can't comment about 27's specifically.

Picture 053.jpgSo I just picked my Big Boss up today! I decided to go with 27" maxxis mud bugs, and to my suprise the fit well!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHyde View Post
    Mine is technically not a "Boss", those are either the old school 6x6 with the 400 2-stroke engine, or the later models with the V-800. I have a 2002. I am staying with the same diameter tire, just going 2 inches wider, so I can't comment about 27's specifically.
    I have a 2001 I heard the Ranger wheels have an offset that helps tie rod clearance issues with wider front tires on the older model 6X6
    if anyone knows for sure please speak up, thanks. Kurt