Thread: Replacing shifter and cables... and reverse bucket question.

Default Replacing shifter and cables... and reverse bucket question.

Hello,

I have a custom built aluminum 22 foot river boat that sports a 460 w/ Berkeley jet drive. It was built almost 30 years ago and the throttle cables are VERY stiff, also the reverse bucket decided to stop dropping on our last trip of the summer. I assume something happened to the cable. I want to replace the shifter and the cables but I have never worked on a boat before. I am handy do-it-yourselfer with a wrench but I am no professional mechanic for sure. I have included a picture of the shifter and jet drive. You will see a pull handle behind (to the right) of the shifter. The builder of the boat put that in place to assist with getting the reverse bucket back up if it was sticking. Is this something the can be done by myself or is there fine tuning that is required that would better be done by a boat shop?

Second question is I am also looking at replacing the stock reverse bucket due to this thing handling like a pig in reverse. I have seen 2 custom split duct reverse bucket options but I dont know the model number of the drive since the boat is in winter storage at the moment. One is not much larger than the stock but it splits the stream of water to each side. The other is much larger/wider similar to that of a hamilton split duct. The larger one I dont think will fit between the bars protecting the drive. Looking for recommendations if anyone has attempted this on a Berkeley.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am not familiar with your set up per-se, but it should be very straight forward with access being the most difficult part. Simply follow the existing route of the original cable/s with the new cable/s, if you notice any "bad" angles or some other impediment along the way either remove it or find a more favorable route; there is a minmum radius for best cable operation and life, often stated on the packaging, just do not make a tighter radius than stated and be sure of solid connections, then all should be well.

Sister mark all your positions and do not move your throttle or shifter during installation save you time setting it up for final adjustments.

Most split duct reverse buckets are hard mounted to the tailcone of the jet and are stationary while the nozzle moves back and forth. That Berkley jet you have just has a gate to direct water out the bottom and forward when you go into reverse. I am not aware of any easy route to make it better.

Not to discount AOD, but meanchicken.com has a pretty good jet boat base over there. Try searching the forums over there, or possibly make a thread with the same info. Also, Place Diverter makes aftermarket accessories for that pump, maybe they have something.

Good luck!
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Also, I know American Turbine makes a couple split reverse kit for their pumps, but Im not sure of their compatibility with the Berkleys. Also, maybe a search over on nzjetboating.com would pull up some results too.

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Yeah I have checked into it quite a bit. The type of Jet I have is what restricts me. I have looked at the American Turbine style and it is not compatible with my jet pump. But this one is similar, to mine just has split bucket appearance. But your absolutely right, all the berkeley does it divert it down beneath the jet so I dont think this would even help.

Ram-Rev-Bucket.jpg

Have you thought of removing the bowl and getting the old nozzle assembly machined off and welding a flange onto it to adapt a new style nozzle reverse kit?

Claude:

I haven't no. I didn't want to have to get into that if I could avoid it. Besides the tube system that protects my jet isnt wide enough to allow one of the wide ram style ones like American Turbine or Hamilton style I don't think.

Your correct the new AT reverse system needs quite abit of room 24 inches or more between the pump guard pipes. Our AT/Berk/Legend kit will fit between pump guard pipes as narrows 16 inches apart. The pump guard pipes in the photo are 18 inches apart leaving enough clearance for the bucket.

Claude:
    ExwAT-Reverse001.jpgExwAT-Reverse002.jpg

My bars are 16 1/2 inches apart. How much work are we talking about here? I am interested in the idea. I have a Berkeley 12JF jet pump. Would this work?

I can't see why it wouldn't work removing your old nozzle assembly and adapting a new one. There would be abit of machining work involed doing this. I believe the bowl discharge neck on the 12 JF is smaller then the 12 JG & 12 JE models. Having the smaller bowl discharged neck you won't be able to drill and tap it to accommoadte the new nozzle flange. You will have to machine off your old nozzle at the tapper where your nozzle pivots and weld on a 6061 T6 aluminum flange to fit the new nozzle bolt pattern. Our AT/Berk/Legend reverse bucket measures 13 inches across port to port. If you know someone with a Berkeley bowl with a flanged nozzle take a look at it you will get a better idea what is required to do for a conversion.

Claude:

Would that affect the tilt operation? the 12JF comes stock with tilt. I wouldnt want to mess with that. I am not even sure who I would discuss this with up here. There are a few welding shops but I dont know if they'd have any idea what to do.

I don't know what is your budget for the conversion. It maybe best to just upgrade the pump instead of doing a conversion. We also have a flanged tilt nozzle kit available for the AT/Berk/Legend pumps.

Claude:
    IMG_2517.jpg

Crappy part is this pump only has about 160 hours in it. The whole boat was barely used even though its almost 30 years old. But I have thought of that. Though that would put things on hold for a while as that is a much larger price tag than I am looking for right now.