Thread: Spring Toklat Bear

Default Spring Toklat Bear

The trip: Im headed up to the Toklat area next weekend with 2 hunting buddies. We are going after a spring brown bear. This first trip is planned to be a recon mission; find a good base camp sight and try to get a trail in somewhat established.

What we know:
    1. Ive been in the area a few times in the winter months.
    2. Buddy just shot a nice bull moose there this last fall. Fresh in his head somewhat.

What we don't know:

1. Not sure if going in from Cantwell, east to the Su and up. Next idea is just coming up the Su the entire way from somewhere much further south on the Parks. We will be coming from Anchorage.
    2. We are not totally sure on a good time, but we are thinking mid April. This year is heavy so hard to say, but we are assuming we want the rivers frozen still.

Any suggestions or incites would be appreciated. Cheers

cantwell nor the su river are near Toklat as i recall......stampede trail out of healy would get you into toklat.....or are you thinking someplace else off the su river......you questions rather misleading

The upper Su would best be reached from the Denali Hwy. I have never tried to run up from the parks but I suspect that Devils Canyon and the Talkeetna's would make that unnecessarily challenging. The timing is tough. I went into a nearby area in April and it ended up being a camping trip. 2 weeks later and I doubt we could have got a sled into the area due to the creeks opening up and water getting high.

The geographer in me wants to know which Toklat River you intend on finding east of Cantwell.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Sorry for the confusion, the original post was misleading. I am aware the Toklat River is located west from Parks along DNP road. I was under the impression that the Toklat blonde/black color tendencies were also present in bears near the Su headwaters, north of the Denali Hwy.

I think you just answer most of your own question...the denali hwy is going to be your main means of access north or south, unless your looking way south then the big su might work but you'll have to get thru or around the canyon. not sure ir the canyon freezes up or not. i have no idea if the blonde/black color runs up there, but i'm sure Claude at Alpine Creek lodge would be some great info, great place to stay or hunt out of also & might be able to give you some info on better timing. the pics i've seen look like tons of snow still in there. good luck

May be worth talking to Jake (BRWNBR) I know he has guided bear hunters out of Alpine Creek in the past. There are some pics of his clients bears floating around on the forum.

thanks for input everyone. We decided to just wait and run up in two weeks since the temps are too cold for a comfortable spring recon ride. Also the snow in Turnagain is too deep for my ski legs to so no to this weekend. Cheers

The Toklat River, from which Toklat bears get their name, drains the north side of the Alaska range and flows in to the Nenana River. If you want a Toklat bear.............that would be the place to hunt for one.
    FYI..........for a short time the world record (B&C) griz skull came from the Toklat area. I believe it was officially measured as 27 and 5/16th. Unfortunately for the successful hunter, it was discovered later that some illegal means of hunting was used in the hunt and his record was removed.
    Record size bears all come from places where they have FISH and lots of them for the bears to eat. The Toklat river has some large salmon runs I think.
    Another FYI..............if you hunt the Toklat River area, your bear (assuming success) will be classified as interior griz. If you hunt the Su, at least most of it, your bear will be considered a "Brown" and a 27 in. skull score will look pretty wimpy!!
    Good luck where ever you hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Another FYI..............if you hunt the Toklat River area, your bear (assuming success) will be classified as interior griz.
    Glad somebody finally said it. Ever since I read the title "Spring Toklat Bear" and then him go on to say say spring "brown bear" it was driving me nuts.....lol