Thread: Fun way to salvage a broken longbow

Default Fun way to salvage a broken longbow

I made an atlatl today out of a broken longbow I have had kicking around in the shed for a few years now. It was pretty easy to cobble this together with a bit of hardwood scrap, a metal punch and some paracord. The dart I made from two carbon arrow shafts with a piece of all thread ad two screw in adapters. The dart flies well and the thrower really spits that dart out there.

I thought this would be a fun project for some of the guys making their own bows that have any break.

Its been 12-15 yards since I have played around with atlatls but it was pretty fun slinging the dart this afternoon. I'm looking forward to playing with it a little more this summer. I know a guy back in michigan who killed a bear with one. If I get good enough maybe I'll try taking a blackbear with one this spring.

Cool project! So far, all my broken bows (there have been several...) have ended up as kindling.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Where did you find the instructions on how to make it? I've been toying with the idea of making one just haven't gotten around to it. Looks awesome!
    Henry Bowman for President

I've made several of them. I used to belong to the michigan atlatl association. I've made them from everything from oak 2x4s to plastic windshield scrapers. The concept is actually pretty simple, you can do a few internet searches to fine some to go by.