Thread: Beach wheels for zodiac

Default Beach wheels for zodiac

I'm looking for some ideas on either buying a set of beach/launch wheels that mount to the transom of my 13' zodiac. I've seen these before but can't for the life of me remember what they really look like. I'm also open to fabricating something my self if anyone has some pictures or some directions and a material list
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

tires2.jpgRacing kart tires/slicks and a simple clamp mount?? found these on fleabay
    209 matches found for: racing kart tires
    tire.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/produ...words=&km=&sb=

Here is one brand, for a refresher on what they look like. There are others out there, but this is the one I could think of off hand. I think the inflated tires roll better on rough beaches than the hard plastic ones.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

i have a set they are yours if you want them they are like big wheel barow sized wheels i am in soldotna

i got a set of beachmaster boat wheels. i was able to pull the boat up a slight slope with a load of about 250lbs on soft sand/rocks.

boat wheels dinghy wheels beachmaster 1.JPG

I have some that you can look at if you are interested. I have never used them (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    i got a set of beachmaster boat wheels. i was able to pull the boat up a slight slope with a load of about 250lbs on soft sand/rocks.

boat wheels dinghy wheels beachmaster 1.JPG
    SalmonSlut I have been looking into purchasing some beach launching wheels for my 14' Achilles (225lbs, w/ 20 hp Honda 110lbs) the beachmasters really caught my eye but are rated to 100kg/220lbs, when you say you we're able to pull your boat up a slight slope with about 250lbs was that the total weight of the boat package or the weight of the load you were carrying in the boat? I realize you probably mean the total weight of the boat package, I'm just curious. By the way how are they working for you? Do they lock-in securly when down and up?

I've used several varieties over the years on assorted boats, but darned if I can remember a single brand. Here are some general points to reflect on:

1. And it's a BIG #1- The bigger the tires the better, whether on rough ground or soft sand. Think in terms of ATV tires, and you're cooking. If they look like the tires on a kids little red wagon, you'll hate them on anything but driveways. And asphalt driveways at that.

2. The variety that hinge and flip up to lock out of the way seemed like a good idea, but after a season with significant loads on and off, they got sprung and were beyond worthless. Just not built stout enough.

3. The ones that worked best had big tires, dismounted completely when not in use, and could be remounted upside down on the transom when stowing them while on the water. Only problem I ever had with them was that the inverted wheels were a little taller than the 25hp I had on that particular boat, and one day when I went to sit down on the motor I sat on a tire instead. Bucked me like a green horse. Fortunately the water was reasonably warm and we were anchored so I didn't have to chase the boat.

Mike 316, I have 4 or 6 ATV tires and wheels "you" can have, if you want to build.

How about these Newport launch wheels. Large diameter, pneumatic rubber tires, still hinged but a much simpler design than the beachmasters, 350+ lb capacity (according to the website, this may be for concrete not sand, who knows), and a not unreasonable price. What do you guys think? Suitable for a 14 achilles and 20 hp, it would be nice to not have to remove the engine on beach landings. Website: http://www.newportvessels.com/index....t_id=52#leaf_2 hope the link works for you.

Those tires look aaaaawfully narrow to me, and pretty closely spaced in the down position. Concrete probably no sweat, but if the ground is soft or rough, figure on dismounting the motor AND mostly unloading the raft.

One thing to watch for is if you get the tires to big they'll have to much floatation and you won't be able to get them in the down position when raft is still in the water.

In the attached site is a list of launching wheels and a quick blurb on each. The pictured Davis Instruments wheels look appropriate for Alaskan use on a 300+ lb inflatable.

Launch wheels site: http://www.my-inflatable-boat.com/in...ng-wheels.html

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    In the attached site is a list of launching wheels and a quick blurb on each. The pictured Davis Instruments wheels look appropriate for Alaskan use on a 300+ lb inflatable.

Launch wheels site: http://www.my-inflatable-boat.com/in...ng-wheels.html
    Great site and write up. Looking at the photos, the Davis Instruments wheels are what I had on my last Achilles 13. While the focus in this thread has been on "flotation" on different surfaces, the photo triggered another memory of why I liked them so much. Note that in the down position those wide tires actually extend out under the sponsons. That detail was as important as the flotation, providing a whole bunch of stability as you rolled the boat anywhere, but especially on rough ground. With the wheels set too close together, the boats have a nasty tendency to tip over to the side as you pull them over even moderately rough terrain.

I just got beachmaster from my boat 16 feet Avon with 50 hp tohotsimage.jpgimage.jpgu