Thread: Unit 13 Fall Black Bear

Default Unit 13 Fall Black Bear

I am planning a hunt/visit to some friends in Unit 13. I am from out of state and the friends I am going to visit don't hunt so I am looking for some advice on whether or not a Black Bear hunt is feasible for the September time frame. They are willing to help me out with whatever I could need but I am just looking for a little advice if it's feasible at this point. I know there are better opportunities in southeast alaska for black bears...but that's not where my friends are, so not looking for secret spots or anything but more of a feasibility and the strategy/terrain I might be up against. I have never been there before. Will I be looking for salmon streams, are the salmon even running at that time, spot and stalk, dumb luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Can you give us a more specific idea of where in Unit 13 you'll be starting from? Unit 13 is larger than some states and has a very wide range of habitats. Some areas in 13 are solid for black bear, while others are mostly inhabited by grizzlies. The short answer is yes, it is a feasible option and that spot-and-stalk over berries will be your best bet, but that depends on where in 13 you'll be and what your means of transport are.

Great, Thanks for the reply and I will be starting out on the Glenn highway near nelchina. Main mode of transportation for the hunting portion will be by air in a super cub.

Floats or wheels?

No same day air borne hunting so you will have camp out for a few days and stalk a bear.

That end of 13 will have better opportunities for black bears. There may be a few small streams off of river to the south of the road that might have some fish around, but unlikely. Finding those streams could take weeks.

The best bet would to be up high in the hills to the south and look for open tundra ridges with good berry crops on them and denser forest down below the ridges. If not pressured the bears will be feeding all morning in the open and then head into the spruce thickets to sleep in the afternoon. Or not. Bears do what ever they do when they want to do it.

You will want to keep the meat from a black bear that has been feeding on berries in late summer and fall. Its really good stuff. A salmon fed bear does not make for good eating.

Good info, thanks. Should have specified wheels for the plane. Totally understand the bears doing whatever they want!! So good optics, spotting scope base camp and berry patches. That helps a lot with the strategy that can be most effective. I would love to keep with my bow but from looking at the regs I would have the option of a rifle too wouldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by pldawg View Post
    I would love to keep with my bow but from looking at the regs I would have the option of a rifle too wouldn't I?
    I think the only thing you can't use is a spear.

AK does not restrict bow hunters from packing a firearm. The grizzlies might injure themselves when picking camo cloth out of their teeth with the arrows.

Also keep in ming that black bears in AK are fairly small when compared to black bears in the L48 where they have many more food sources. The bear density is low in some areas and bears migrate through quickly looking for food. So if you see a bear take it.