Thread: 2011 Bison hunt results?

Default 2011 Bison hunt results?

I havent seen to much on the results for people this year. Has it been a bad year? I love the stories of others getting this rare tag and the way they get them, I was lucky to draw it in 2010 and feel in love with these beautiful animals. So if you shot one this year, share!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I see you with your bow in your avatar. Did you fill you 2010 tag? If so did you get it with your bow? One day I hope to make that happen.

Jcorwin I never have drawn the tag but I understand your feelings toward these critters.Several years ago I guided a bison hunt in the fall over in the farewell area and it was one of the coolest things I have ever done..Even had a huge bull try to run over me...

The most majestic animal on the face of the planet. And when you screw up a stalk and feel them running away with your feet (the world is shaking) it is quite a humbling experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    The most majestic animal on the face of the planet. And when you screw up a stalk and feel them running away with your feet (the world is shaking) it is quite a humbling experience.
    FM you said it right they are majestic, it was awe inspiring to be hiding in a clump of weeds and being surrounded as they marched up the river...still one if not the coolest hunts I have ever been part of...

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    I see you with your bow in your avatar. Did you fill you 2010 tag? If so did you get it with your bow? One day I hope to make that happen.
    Yes I did connect with a nice 4-5 year old bull. I did not however use my bow. It's nice to dream about it, but after seeing how skiddish they are taking one is all that matters. If I am ever lucky enough to draw it again, I will try with my bow!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

So far hunters have not filled half the permits issued. Sadly about half a dozen taken are the wrong sex. I am happy for hunters when they get their bison. These are such magnificent animals! There are still a few on private land. I had 120 on one of my tracts 2 days ago. I am not sure if that many are still there. I too enjoy reading about bison hunts. I am lucky and get to talk with several of the hunters and hear some really interesting stories...I enjoy bison season!

I pulled a bull Bison tag for 2011. I have YET to hunt it, but will be there in about 24 hours. I have been unsuccessful in getting hold of Silver Fox Lodge for accommodations. Are any of you other permitees headed down? I would love to coordinate efforts. Ms. Shultz, I will be contacting you upon our arrival. I spoke to you from Fairbanks day before yesterday. I am excited as is my 14 yr. old son!

Quote Originally Posted by grndthunder View Post
    Sadly about half a dozen taken are the wrong sex.
    I don't want to start anything on here (that happens too easily, and too quickly...) but do you know or can you say what F&G does in that situation? PM is OK too; I'm just not familiar with how they handle that and would like to know.

It is sad. Likely just a case of shoot first 'cause those horns look big, I'd imagine. Sure, the bulls do have generally larger horns, but you just gotta look underneath to know for sure; or at least that's the only way I know to tell for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I don't want to start anything on here (that happens too easily, and too quickly...) but do you know or can you say what F&G does in that situation? PM is OK too; I'm just not familiar with how they handle that and would like to know.
    I would say the best answer to your question is to call F&G and ask them directly. I do know the best thing is self turn-in. Besides, you no doubt have heard the old saying: " talk to the horses mouth not his @$$." I am not calling myself an @$$, I am just saying. lol
    PS: I tried to PM you only it didn't work.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grndthunder View Post
    I would say the best answer to your question is to call F&G and ask them directly. I do know the best thing is self turn-in. Besides, you no doubt have heard the old saying: " talk to the horses mouth not his @$$." I am not calling myself an @$$, I am just saying. lol
    PS: I tried to PM you only it didn't work.
    Thanks for the effort and the answer, and yes, that probably is the best course of action to get an answer.

Not sure why PM'iing me did not work since my PM box is not full (I can't say that is always the case), so some other disturbance on this site or the Internet must have caused that failure; sorry.

Thanks for trying.