Thread: Gulkana River Kings

Default Gulkana River Kings

Will be taking some visitors down the Gulkana from Sourdough to the Bridge the third week of June. In the good old days, 3 years ago, I could almost count my Kings before they were landed. Wonder if the run will still be weak this year, at least weak by the standards of the counters. It's a nice float anyway.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Interesting question. I actually spoke with the ADF&G about same subject they are hoping for a normal return this year. I don't know how they expect it i.e. the science behind the the possible data however they seem to think it may be a normal year. Let's cross our fingures and hope so.

Hasn't been a normal year for four or five years, so science should say that no it wont be a "normal" year. There will be fish but compared to the "good ole days" its kind of a joke. I tag one fish/year and quit, hoping for a return to "normal"

Thanks for the info. From 2000 to 2007 I could float from Poplar Grove or the RV Park to the bridge and never got skunked, almost always the 2d to 3rd week in June. I am ready for the good old days.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

The term "Good Old Days" is a relative term. How many of us remember the good old days in the early-mid 90's when King Fishing was crazy on the Gulkana? Also back in thise days it was almost impossible to find a bend in the lower river that did not have a group fishing it and 2 more waiting to fish it? I like the current fishing and rafting situation better even though it has been more limmited than back in the "Old days."

Last season our fishing groups had great results the 2nd/3rd week in June and the day that AF&G shut her down to Catch and Release my groups landed lots of kings. Even after the change to "Catch and Release" we still did well. The Gulkana is a wonderful gem of a river but it does need protection much like many road access rivers. Hopefully we will see good returns and lots of open river.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com