Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou in the Hay Flats ?!?!?!?

Default Caribou in the Hay Flats ?!?!?!?

Driving into work this morning. I SWEAR I saw two of them. Saw about 20 moose on the western side of the flats, then I looked over on the Eastern side and I could swear there were 2 caribou standing 100-125 yards off the road. I slowed down and kept watching....and I am pretty convinced they were bou !!! Is this possible? Anybody ever seen or heard of bou' being in the Hay flats before? I've seen tons of moose and the occasional bear down there, but NEVER a bou before....
    Johnny

maybe they escaped from the reindeer farm or something
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I haven't thought of that...

Maybe I should call them or something. Do they keep accurate tabs on the population on the farm??

Mark

Rattle a can of grain, like you were calling the livestock in the barnyard.

I took my family to the reindeer farm a couple of years ago. When you step off the porch with a small bucket of grain, they'll mob you.........

Darned "urban" caribou............

Default I called...

....the Reindeer Farm..and they say that they have reindeer escape all the time. He said he'll go out and count them. If they escape, I figured they would be predator bait before he ever got them back.
    Johnny

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    ....the Reindeer Farm..and they say that they have reindeer escape all the time. He said he'll go out and count them. If they escape, I figured they would be predator bait before he ever got them back.
    Johnny
    Or butte resident bait lol!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I saw a sow brown bear and two cubs on the flats last spring.

Default caribou

These guys are dead but this is what they told me. Al Trihub was up some where in Eagle River Valley in the early 70's and found part of a old decayed caribou antler under the muskeg. Old guide Roy Biffle had a place up by Upper Bonnie Lake. He said he had run into caribou there before. Allen Hennessy told me he watched a goat cross the bridge right before Sheep Mountain. Hennessy live trapped goats for transplanting back in the Territory days. I like Reindeer meat!

Default Back in the day......

Back in the 50's and such, caribou did roam the palmer hay flat's. Fatherinlaw hunted caribou there eon's ago, pre 64' earthquake.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I saw a sow brown bear and two cubs on the flats last spring.
    I saw a brown bear near the Knik River Bridge two springs ago, and the previous year a friend said he saw a big one (perhaps an 8 footer) in the same general area.

When I saw it I raced home, got my rifle and caller, and returned. I walked in to that pond where everybody used to shoot. Right away I saw a cow moose with a small calf wading on the opposite end of the pond. When I started my calf bleating, she took off into the brush in a hurry. I called for about an hour and a half.

I never saw the bear again.

Default Pink Elephant

Once my wife and I were driving down the Rich and I coulda swore I saw a pink elephant cross the highway.. come to find out I was just drinking too much.. thank god she was driving..

Default caribou

Skydiver,
    Wow that is really wierd that I read this.
    I drive through the flats everyday adn I can't rememebr if it was yesterday or the day before, but i was checking out the moose on the right side of the road like they always are adn then i could have sworn that there was a bou in there with them. I was actually going to post this myself but then i dismissed it as i was doing 75 and they were like 450 yards away.
    this could take some looking into now that someone else has seen it too.
    Justin
    Justin

I have never seen them on the flats thats for sure. The closest I have seen them is in hatchers pass above the tree line. I agree with the Reindeer Farm as being the likely source. Not exactly a pink elephant but I was driving the Alaska Highway with my dad when a PEACOCK walked across the road. I just stopped and stared at it. Both of us were afraid to say anything because we didn't want to sound crazy. I am sure there was a full lynx within a day or two.

Mark

I've seen ringneck pheasants in the Valley several times, as well as bobwhite quail. But even though I've commuted through the Flats for over 25 years, I've only seen one bear, one wolf, a few coyotes, and never any caribou or pink elephants.

Anybody see a Bigfoot out there?:-)

Default Ahhh..credibility....

Quote Originally Posted by Adventures View Post
    Skydiver,
    Wow that is really wierd that I read this.
    I drive through the flats everyday adn I can't rememebr if it was yesterday or the day before, but i was checking out the moose on the right side of the road like they always are adn then i could have sworn that there was a bou in there with them. I was actually going to post this myself but then i dismissed it as i was doing 75 and they were like 450 yards away.
    this could take some looking into now that someone else has seen it too.
    Justin
    At least I know that I wasn't just "seeing things". Its nice to know that both of us saw the same thing. I would like to say, that now that some of you have doubted my credibility, or my sober state of mind......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Unless of course, Adventures isn't a credible witness....
    Johnny

So, would these fall under the hunting regulations for "deleterious exotic" wildlife, if in fact they are reindeer and not caribou? If so...anyone want to go hunting this afternoon?

-Brian

I once saw a guy shoot a bull moose on the flats. He was courteous to the bus load of tourist viewing the moose. He asked if everyone was done taking pictures, went to his truck, got his rifle and shot it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default WOW

I would bet that the caribou were from the reindeer farm, that is most likely since it is mearly a few miles away from there. I have seen caribou in chickaloon on a few occassions. I grew up right on the bluff from the hay flats near rabbit slew I know the area like the back of my hand, I have seen lots of bears and moose, but never a caribou, would be cool to see one.

Default Brown bear

Once the family and I was headed up to fairbanks and we saw a brown bear out in the flats, think it was in 03. They occasssionally find bou racks in the Chugak, maybe some of them could be from the farm, never thought of that.

Terry

Be careful what you mention. I can see a new tier II hunt in the making for Eklutna villagers who have a tradition of using those reindeer...I mean cariboo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast