Thread: Kodiak fishing

Default Kodiak fishing

Looking for a little input and advice. This year I'm looking at possibly doing some fishing on kodiak in late july. I have a friend from church who has asked me to take him back to alaska one last time. He is actually a native but left at an early age. He has some medical issues that will soon limit his abilities and he would like to get some fishing done. I'm thinking of maybe a charter or two and then some DYI possibly trying to use some of the base facilities due to be retired usmc and my fried being a former Marine himself. Has anyone rented boats from the base? Any insights to fishing during that time frame would be appreciated
    Semper Fi and God Bless

July is an excellent time to fish Kodiak. Pay your way into charters, rent a car and road fish, and enjoy it.
    Unknown if the USCG reciprocates USMC in boat rentals.
    Your friend can literally park and fish for dollies at the American River.
    Query me if you need the book on the place; it's helped many...

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Shoot me a PM or e-mail. john.r.abel@uscg,mil. I'm on base here. I've hooked number of the militray/retirees up off the site here. Help me cover cost of fuel, and if you're from NC, you'll probably feel right at home on my boat.

Gonna have to find someone (like Mr. Abel) to take you out. You have to do a safety course, test, and check ride before you can rent the morale boats. Last year I waited 2 months to do the check ride. It never happened. There are people (at least there were) that would put their name on a list be the Coxswain for people who didn't qualify the rental. I ended up just going with buddies that had the card.

Come boating season, call up here (to the boat house) and see if that is still going on. You can find the number if you search for "uscg kodiak mwr"

KodiawMWR.com is the site for all the morale/rental stuff on base. They willalso have a list of people just like metnioned that will take people out, either on a morale boat or on their own.

Can anyone share any info about vehicle rentals?

I would appreciate any info on some of the better charters, does any of them offer military discounts?

How far in advance do I need to make reservations if we can work it into the budget?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Sam is a great guy, known him years. He's ex Coast Guard, ask him about a military discount.
    http://www.midnightsuncharters.net/

A couple other good guys
    http://www.alaska-fish.com/

http://www.kodiakislandcharters.com/
    There is avis and hertz for cars, might have to call them, they are in the book.