Thread: Kah Sheets Bay

Default Kah Sheets Bay

Hi Guys,

Im planning a fishing trip in early September to Kah Sheets Bay and Lake. Were from Germany and do not have the possibilites to get some good informtation. Does anyone of you have experience with accessing the bay? Is it a big problem getting to the cabin through the tidal flats? I read that a 14' tide is required. Is this realisitc? Maybe is it also possible to get there with a 13' tide with lifted up engine and take the paddles to the edge? (it is a small boat,18' Crestliner).

I read that there are two waterfalls along the creek up to the lake. Is it far away from the bay?
    Are there good chances to catch some Cohos?

Thank you for your answers :-)

About 12 years ago I did it and unfortunately due to a significant storm, arrived at the bay with the tide going out. The person taking us there did not want to take a chance and get grounded, so he dropped us about 1/2 mile away from the bay cabin. 2 kayaks and quite a bit of gear. we spent the next 3 hours making 2 round trips hauling everything and I remember it afterwards as something I never wanted to do again. We went in May for steelhead. The fishing was just okay in the stream and we left the cabin early to explore other waters.
    Having fished southeast Alaska for the past 18 years, feel free to PM me for any help, glad to do so. Good luck!

I've been into the Kah Sheets Bay cabin several times. It won't be easy to get close to the cabin with a 13 ft tide. I think you may be able to get to the mouth of the stream and way the boat up it a ways. We have done this , secured the boat, and walked the rest of the way in. Also I have seen people leave the boats out in the bay and walk in along the south shore . Never have done it so I couldn't advise you . Be sure to know when you need to get out according to the tide. Silver fishing should be good. Great place

Quote Originally Posted by jsstony View Post
    Hi Guys,

Im planning a fishing trip in early September to Kah Sheets Bay and Lake. Were from Germany and do not have the possibilites to get some good informtation. Does anyone of you have experience with accessing the bay? Is it a big problem getting to the cabin through the tidal flats? I read that a 14' tide is required. Is this realisitc? Maybe is it also possible to get there with a 13' tide with lifted up engine and take the paddles to the edge? (it is a small boat,18' Crestliner).

I read that there are two waterfalls along the creek up to the lake. Is it far away from the bay?
    Are there good chances to catch some Cohos?

Thank you for your answers :-)
    I was there 2 yrs ago; the tidal flat does have a couple of channels which goes out to salt. People often do boat to that lower cabin. They don't paddle, rather, they get out of the boat and push or pull it up to the cabin - maybe 2 miles at most - I have seen it done and it is does not look that hard to do as long as the boat is floating. So, I say yes - you could do it at 13 feet. I believe the 14 feet means motoring up to the cabin doorstep, but I'm not sure about that is true anymore because the bay and channel has filled in somewhat with gravel since the forest service wrote that 14' on the website. You used to be able to fly a plane into there but not anymore. Just a boat now.

The first waterfall is maybe 1.5 miles from the lower cabin. There are also going to be fish in the river 100 feet from that cabin at high tide.

Hi,

I have been to the Kah Sheets cabin in a 18' crestlinere before. A 14' tide would be minimum. You will want to get there early and come into the cabin with the incoming tide. The tide change happens very quickly. You can't see the cabin from the bay so it can be hard to find if you don't know where in the bay to find the channel. Even with a 14' tide you will have to motor in with the motor lifted up.

Hi,

You will need at least a 14' tide to get all the way to the cabin in a 18' crestliner. Get there early to go up with the incoming tide. The tide change happens quickly!