Thread: how close is to close

Default how close is to close

i was out at big lake and in a spot all alone and had about 4 or 5 holes starting to pattern the shelf and drop off. had not 1, not 2, but 3 cars pull up and park close enough to me to touch doors. they were fixin to drill 30' away. i said the whole lake and you have to be here?, he said, we were coming here earlier but you got here first. i packed up and left. i dont fish to have a problem with people. i will share my fishing holes with any one with manners but i dont have any desire to crowd another angler. i choose a distance that i think that my drilling or shoveling wont cause a disturbance to the fish pattern in their area. i have no problem with this approach. just wondering how other people guage for themselves an appropriate consideration of distance.(i am not talking about russian, we all know what we are in for there.)

That's just rude.

27 sportfisher,

Even though its called big lake (and its kind of a big lake), there are only a couple of spots that I believe are worth fishing, spots where I know I will catch something. If I pull up to one of those spots and there are folks already fishing there, I will get out of the truck and socialize. You know, "hows the fishing", "sure is a nice day to be sitting on the lake", stuff like that. Depending on their demenier, I usually ask if they don't mind if I can try my luck here with them or fish here in the area. I will not crowd them, usually give them 100 feet away or so. I HATE COMBAT FISHING!!!! and will not do it. I don't care how good the fishing is. (The Russian River and the sanctuary can kiss my arse) Most fellow fisherman are very nice about it. Others are not, so it would be off to another spot and try it again. Unfortunately its not my personal lake so we must share damit!!!

Good Luck and "fishon" buddy...

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    i was out at big lake and in a spot all alone and had about 4 or 5 holes starting to pattern the shelf and drop off. had not 1, not 2, but 3 cars pull up and park close enough to me to touch doors. they were fixin to drill 30' away. i said the whole lake and you have to be here?, he said, we were coming here earlier but you got here first. i packed up and left. i dont fish to have a problem with people. i will share my fishing holes with any one with manners but i dont have any desire to crowd another angler. i choose a distance that i think that my drilling or shoveling wont cause a disturbance to the fish pattern in their area. i have no problem with this approach. just wondering how other people guage for themselves an appropriate consideration of distance.(i am not talking about russian, we all know what we are in for there.)
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

sometimes company is a good thing like bob said 100 or so feet if possible but 3 cars pulling up on you and saying they planed on that spot they should have went to plan B instead of you sportfisher some folks just dont know or they are just stupids FISH ON!!!! WP!!!!

I think 100' is to close ,its nice to be friendly but dont take my spot. If I see someone in a spot on a lake go find another ,dont invade, on a stream give a wide birth and dont low hole anyone.

Default Potlickers

When I lived down south and use to fish the Texas coast and boats would zoom right in on you when you when they saw you were on the fish. This would totally mess up your fishing. We called them POTLICKERS!

I get low holed all the time with Alcanron ....haha

From the story you posted, sounds like they were ignorant to courtesty. Glad I have not had that happen yet, its uncommon from my experiences icefishing.

I try and stay a good distance from others that are already fishing out of respect, unless its a friend. Then I get right on top of them, haha.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

that funny ron, dang potlickers. i have been out on the sound with the my boys and said, lets try and experiment we pick a spot at random anchor up and see how long it takes for somone pull up beside us. some times its only 30 miniutes. not to mention the shrimp pots that have been set right on top of my string 100' from my bouy. i love to share all the places i go to and like bob said a positive attitude goes a long way.

I liked Bob's answer. I would not like someone coming in on me that close at all but to be near enough to socialize would be fine. I am more tolerant of sharing an area when ice fishing than in open water fishing for some reason. This probably goes back to when I was growing up in Iowa and we would fish pan fish in the Mississippi River backwaters amongst many people.