Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airboat motor on a 19' Grumman?

Default Airboat motor on a 19' Grumman?

There is a guy on craigslist advertising a small airboat motor that he says he used on a 19 foot grumman. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I know someone who was building up a system for that. Don't know if he ever got it finally put together and working, but maybe he is trying to clear out some stuff from the house. I'll have to check out the listing.

Edit: Not him. Guess there are two crazy guys out there.... probably a few more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    There is a guy on craigslist advertising a small airboat motor that he says he used on a 19 foot grumman. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?
    I'm no marine engineer/mechanic, but that would scare the heck out of me.

The key word is "small", I have seen alot of these on the Texas Gulf coast for shallow water. They sit over the outboard, might be good to ease up small streams in Alaska?

I'd like to see it. Not saying it can't be done, but just that I'd like to see how that works (or doesn't).

Just google "Texas flounder gigging boats", and I have seen plenty on 19' Grummans. A guy down the street from me has one with a Honda motor about his Mercury outboard.

Great idea with an 80" bottom...but on a canoe??!! I Googled and found mention of such a thing but no picture.

We used to do that when I was kid in FL with a jon boat and a Coleman lantern and still fell out of the boat sometimes.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Well, I went to take a look at it and I gotta say it's pretty cool. It was obviously made for a small boat or canoe and it actually appears to be manufactured for this reason. It's real old with a tiny 4 stroke that runs like a top. It's old enough to be pre-recoil starter.

I think I'm going to buy it just because it's so unique. It's too small to actually push you up much a river. It could do slow moving streams. He used to line it up some rivers that I'm pretty familiar with using the prop as an assist with his load and hunt moose way back in there. I might use it for the same purpose. I'll try to get a photo later.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default pic of the motor

Here is a picture of the motor. I said it was a 4 cycle...it's a 2 cycle. Interesting little motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Here is a picture of the motor. I said it was a 4 cycle...it's a 2 cycle. Interesting little motor.
    I would pay money to see that in operation, mounted on any canoe other than a big HB, Mainer's "mystery tank", or oyster's beautiful new giant rig.

Typically folks that run fans on the back of canoes need two hands to show you five fingers or more...heheheh

I talked to this guy.. it's actually an older motor/unit... wood blades.. interesting..

Well, I'm going to try it out this summer. Should I announce the time and charge admission? :-) I think I'll take it on Jim Creek first as soon as it opens up. I think I'm going to modify it a little to have a long enough tiller handle so that I can sit in the middle seat.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I don't mean to seem pessimistic but to raise the center of gravity and hope the boat slide's a little is something I would feel better about doing in Texas with warm water!The prop cage doesn't look too secure either- I must just be a chicken, but I think someone may need to video the maiden voyage in case it needs to be sent into a TV show!

Seriously I hope it works, but I would definitely want someone else to "show me how it is done" with thier boat first.

BEE

Thumbs up u bet!

Well, I'm going to try it out this summer. Should I announce the time and charge admission? :-)
    Heck yeah, I'll pay.

I would also be willing to lend a PFD to every member aboard, and furnish you with a complete movie of your journey, however short that may be.

might want to wear chainmetal armor.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    might want to wear chainmetal armor.
    That might necessitate an extra PFD or two.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Heck yeah, I'll pay.

I would also be willing to lend a PFD to every member aboard, and furnish you with a complete movie of your journey, however short that may be.
    I'm in....does this include popcorn?

How about a test run on the ice before the water gets soft then you won't need PFD's!

This could be a cool idea but the top heavy thing would worry me too. If you turn the contraption sideways will it blow the canoe over?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Ha. I think all you guys missed the part about this already being used on a 19' Grumman.

Don't worry, I will at least take a video. And if possible announce the trial run.

It only weighs 30 pounds and is not that powerful. I actually don't think it's going to be that practical because it doesn't have enough power to push a real load. It should work fine empty with one guy but I'll be surprised if it gets up on step.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

i think the guy sold you a industrial fan from a old factory converted with a small engine from electric.

looks like a lowes ceiling fan turned sideways.
    Semper Fi!

In my younger days we used a side shaft 5h/p with a 8 blade Cadillac fan on 10ft jon boat for flounder gigging and pond fishing.When done fishing but the blade back on the car and the motor went back on the mower.Then we were rich in ways to get it done and poor in money to have someone else do it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast