Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA Copper Spur UL 3 vs Hilleberg or other for sheep/goat hunting ???

Default BA Copper Spur UL 3 vs Hilleberg or other for sheep/goat hunting ???

I am looking for a new tent for sheep and goat hunting. I was leaning toward a hilleberg allak but love the weight, size and price of the Big Agnes. The BA comes in at $400 and 4 lbs 7 oz vs the Hilleberg at $875 and 6 lbs 13 oz. The BA Copper Spur 2 comes in at $320 and 3lbs 9 oz. so that is also a possibility. I plan to use the tent primarily in Kodiak so it is important that it can withstand the weather. It is important to me to have two doors and two vestibules. Anybody have experience with the BA or have any other recommendations? Thanks Greg

I think they're apple and oranges. The design, construction and materials of the Allak make it a stronger tent. The Allak is a lighter smaller version of Staika. The Hilleberg is an exoskeleton design. The inner tent and the outer tent go up at the same time. Makes it nice when pitching in the wind and rain. No messing with getting the tent wet in a downpour while you get the rain fly over the top fighting the wind. And wind direction doesn't matter when you pitch it since it's a dome.

If it were me I'd go buy the Allak over the BA or even go up to the Staika if you like the dome style. A little bigger and stronger too. Especially with the winds they get on Kodiak. The Allak and Staika are true 100% free standing. Even the vestibules are supported by poles. Not so with the BA. Personally I'm weary of the hub type pole setups. More that could fail in high wind. Just my .02. Others may not see it as an issue.

When I bought my Hilleberg a few years ago I narrowed it down to the Hillebergs- Jannu, Staika or Tarra. In the end I went with the Tarra. Tarra and Staika have the Kerlon 1800 fabric and 10mm poles and thicker floors. Bomber tents. Plus Hilleberg quality is tops.

Lots of tent info in here. Spend some time doing search and you'll have hours of reading.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd, thanks for the input I will check out those other Hilleberg models as well. Over the years I have learned that buying high quality gear usually pays off.

I think the Hilleberg Jannu might be the best combination of strength and light weight at 6.5 lbs, for a dome tent anyway, but it only has one vestibule. That's what steered me to the Tarra. And since it's a 2 man tent where guys will be sharing the weight. 8.5lbs is fine to me. Some guys cringe at anything over 6ish for a 2 man tent. But remember, these Hillebergs are expedition quality 4 season tents. Hand made and guaranteed for life.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd you are just full of usefull knowledge ,and I agree the little extra weight is worth it when two guys are sharing the load to get a quality product that you will be depending on for shelter in difficult environments...Remember fellows dont ever try to scrimp on weight too much as to sacrifice quality especially when it come to shelter..Hilleberg makes some great tents,I know several guides that use them with favored success. I have carried a NorthFace ve25 but that is a lot heavier but I always seem to sneak it into my packers or partners pack..lol

I thought about this thread a little more and just wanted to expand a little more on what I was trying to say When considering a new tent I think you have to consider the primary use. When I hunt and guide I actually have 3 different tents. I have an ultra lite marmot that can fit two people barely but it servers it purpose which is shelter in mountain country. I take this tent for the long approach hunts where going light is essential since being the guide I expect to carry the bulk of the load.Next for shorter pack hunts I use a bigger tent like my ve25 as I know I don't have to carry it far. Lastly if I am not too constrained by weight an make camp where we land I used use a bomb shelter or hurricane hut as they are bullet proof.From reading you post you see to be in the market for an all around tent and some of the choices Snyd pointed out are excellent.A high quality tent is of the utmost importance could even be lifesaving.it would be a bad situation to come back at the end of the day out hunting in bad weather only to find you shelter has failed now at the very least you are going to be extremely uncomfortable.It appears that you live in Kodiak so you already know how severe and relentless the weather can be there. I believe in another thread Mr Stid has stated he takes two tents with him to Kodiakwhich is a good idea. Most focus in how little gear they are can bring on the plane I focus in how much I am allowed and bring as much as I can provided is does not cost me or carry it on my back.My other advice is regardless what tent you choose be sure to have enough para cord and stakes to tie down everyone of those tabs on the tent to keep the poles from moving and breaking in the wind and if you can't stake it use big rocks or whatever you find. This gets over looked too often and when the wind blows the floor is still staked but the poles are broken like twigs.. Sorry to ramble just wanted to point out some things I think about when choosing a tent.

Another Exoskeleton tent is the Exped Venus or Orion excellant tents.Many features and quite a bit cheaper than the Hillebergs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcam View Post
    Another Exoskeleton tent is the Exped Venus or Orion excellant tents.Many features and quite a bit cheaper than the Hillebergs.
    Those look pretty nice. Have you ever seen one in person? I wonder how the fabric and build quality is. I think Big Agnes or someone else made a mostly exoskeleton tent a few years ago. Maybe I'm thinking of the Expeds.

I'm no expert but I've used traditional tents with the rainfly and an expedition quality TNF single wall with internal poles and I can say one thing for sure....for a mountain/backpacking tent, I will never buy another tent that's not an exoskeleton tent. Except maybe a tipi of some sort.

Of course I get all excited about Hilleberg tents ever since I spent time in a Nallo GT and then bought mine. So, I am a bit biased at this point But...Lots of tents have worked for many a man over the years...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Snyd you are just full of usefull knowledge ,and I agree the little extra weight is worth it when two guys are sharing the load to get a quality product that you will be depending on for shelter in difficult environments...Remember fellows dont ever try to scrimp on weight too much as to sacrifice quality especially when it come to shelter..Hilleberg makes some great tents,I know several guides that use them with favored success. I have carried a NorthFace ve25 but that is a lot heavier but I always seem to sneak it into my packers or partners pack..lol
    haha.... well...ya and full of some other stuff to I've been told... and, some NOT so useful knowledge.... I've definitely got my opinions though

I came real close to buying a TNF Mountain 25 a few years back. Been around a long time and bomber. But, the Hilly Tarra won. Exoskeleton, 2 vesties and under 9lbs. I think the Mt 25 is right at 9.

This tent was bomber in the wind. 1996 model TNF Apogee. 9lbs, single wall built as a 4 man high altitude mountaineering tent. Just enough room to cram 4 climbers in sideways. Or in our case, 2 guys length wise and our packs. tri-laminate material like the Bibler Todd-Tex. Kind of fuzzy on the inside to dissipate condensation. It was a great ridgetop tent in the wind. Drum tight like you can't imagine. Absolutely no flappage in the wind. Made for a good nights sleep in a howl. But in still air condensation was way bad. More at home on Denali in cold dry air. It was a nice bunker for a 12 day DCUA walkin hunt though 25 miles from the truck. I replaced it with the Tarra.

Yea Snyd we are all full of something thats for sure...lol Here is a link for a review on the tarra....

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/4-Seas...illeberg-Tarra

Thanks Guys, I have decided to go with one of the Hilleberg tents I was just trying to save a little weight and money. I like good gear and always regret it when I try to save money. I was lucky enough to draw TMA and a Kodiak spring bear and although i have a nice light two man 3 season SD that is too light for the weather and a SD 4person 4 season that is too heavy it is great for flying in to a base camp but not for packing in. Of course, I am also in the process of trying to buy some new binos oh well, it is just $$$$ Thanks again

GDinAK,

Check Ebay on a regular basis as sometimes vendors will sell Hillebergs below retail price. Been researching them myself for a couple of weeks and the prices seem to be locked in stone with online retailers.
    Just picked up a Nallo 3 GT about 15 minutes ago for $660 with free shipping. The same vendor just posted another 3 GT for sale as well. Other online places wanted $770 for the tent.
    We plan on using it for a 2 person tent while sheep hunting as well as on Kodiak for blacktails. It will see use as a spike camp so we can hike up to the top ridges during the day then camp out and have an early start to getting a big buck the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Those look pretty nice. Have you ever seen one in person? I wonder how the fabric and build quality is. I think Big Agnes or someone else made a mostly exoskeleton tent a few years ago. Maybe I'm thinking of the Expeds.

I'm no expert but I've used traditional tents with the rainfly and an expedition quality TNF single wall with internal poles and I can say one thing for sure....for a mountain/backpacking tent, I will never buy another tent that's not an exoskeleton tent. Except maybe a tipi of some sort.

Of course I get all excited about Hilleberg tents ever since I spent time in a Nallo GT and then bought mine. So, I am a bit biased at this point But...Lots of tents have worked for many a man over the years...

I am currently using the Exped Venus II it is a cross between a tunnel and dome tent.Low profile so it cuts the wind well lots of tie outs and huge vestibules.The inner tent can be removed from the outer tent or setup with outer and a footprint.Floor is waterproof and robust you do not need to use a footprint.There are some good videos on setting it up.Also some video tips on some of the nifty features their tents have.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...0?opendocument

Hey that's great to know. It looks like a nice setup. You should get some pics and post your own review of in the tent photos and review sticky thread at the top of the page here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcam View Post
    I am currently using the Exped Venus II it is a cross between a tunnel and dome tent.Low profile so it cuts the wind well lots of tie outs and huge vestibules.The inner tent can be removed from the outer tent or setup with outer and a footprint.Floor is waterproof and robust you do not need to use a footprint.There are some good videos on setting it up.Also some video tips on some of the nifty features their tents have.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...0?opendocument

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    Thanks Guys, I have decided to go with one of the Hilleberg tents I was just trying to save a little weight and money. I like good gear and always regret it when I try to save money. I was lucky enough to draw TMA and a Kodiak spring bear and although i have a nice light two man 3 season SD that is too light for the weather and a SD 4person 4 season that is too heavy it is great for flying in to a base camp but not for packing in. Of course, I am also in the process of trying to buy some new binos oh well, it is just $$$$ Thanks again
    If you work or volunteer as a rescue or outdoors professional contact Hilleberg and see if you qualify for a Pro Deal. You can get a substantial discount. That's what I did.

Thanks for the input I will check out those expeds after all researching the gear is half the fun... Snowwolfe glad you were able to get a deal that is also a big part of the fun. I have been looking on eBay too trying to find a Jannu/Allak and/or some swaro els. Let me know if you need anything while in Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    If you work or volunteer as a rescue or outdoors professional contact Hilleberg and see if you qualify for a Pro Deal. You can get a substantial discount. That's what I did.
    Nice, unfortunately I do not qualify.... I know I just hate to pay full retail.

I've got the BA Copper Spur UL 3 man and love it. Plenty of room and very light.

Northway, have you used it in any strong weather. I know it gets great reviews and it looks like a great value and i love the room, weight, and two door/vestibule layout. I am just worried if a tent that light can handle Kodiak's wind or high mountain snow. Thanks

GdinAK just wanted to point something out that may be obvious but just in case when you get home with your tent from a hunt be sure to thoroughly dry it out prior to storage,I put mine up and let it air dry for atleast a day depending on weather, it would really stink to pull it out next year to find hundreds of mold spots on a very expensive tent..
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast