Thread: .460 Weatherby Magnum

Default .460 Weatherby Magnum

Anyone ever shot or hunted with a .460 Weatherby Magnum in the US?

Or any of the big magnums? .600 or .700 nitro mag

I have zeroed two for different customers in past years one from the bench and one standing.I'd be very careful from the bench as this one will give you a pretty good scope cut if you aren't paying attention lots of power and lots of recoil, dandy stopping rifles if you can handle the recoil neither of the ones I fired had brakes are any porting good shooting...Ronnie

I used to have a 460 but never used it on an animal. It sure beat the piss out of me though when I fired it.
    Tennessee

Have about 500 rounds downrange now with my Hannibal in .500 A-Square. I've had it since 1996. Took it out twice for moose but they saw me coming. Talking about frustrating. Both times I was looking at tracks so fresh the grass began to straighten up. You know Mr. Moose was watching and laughing.

A friend of mine has a .460 Weatherby. I shot it twice; once with the brake and once without the brake. The difference? About 3 steps!

I shot one with a break and wondered what all the fuss was about. It definitely kicks but not as bad as I wondered/feared. Someone ought to make pointy bullets for these things. Should make a fine long range rifle. About 650 grains with a boattail. Someone get me a benchrest.

A friend of mine owned a .460 Weatherby. He killed a snowshoe hare with it from about 20 yards on the Kenai Peninsula. Clean kill.

I shot it offhand into a piece of firewood. It had a ported barrel. I don't remember it being terribly bad to shoot. It was a fairly heavy rifle and it was Weatherby equipped with a recoil reducer in the stock, IIRC.

Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to shoot a 460. I have had two 458 Lotts and a 500 Jeffrey. I'd planned on building a 600 overkill, but the 500J cured all my desire to go any bigger. Let's just say 600 gr bullets really get your attention

I haven't had the opportunity to take game with any of the guns, my plan was to use the 570 gr barnes X bullet from the 500 for moose. I might end up doing that one of these days.