Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting canceled

Default Moose hunting canceled

The moose as you know are getting hamered by the snow They are dying now by winter kill. Yentna i seen 4 moose with ravens on them. 2 moose that were well on there way, (would not move off trail) Got a feeling moose hunting will be canceled or reduced to Subsistance but thats another story.

t

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    The moose as you know are getting hamered by the snow They are dying now by winter kill. Yentna i seen 4 moose with ravens on them. 2 moose that were well on there way, (would not move off trail) Got a feeling moose hunting will be canceled or reduced to Subsistance but thats another story.
    Back when the permits came out in February, they announced that a number of hunts in the Mat Su were cancelled. Not new news.

What's with all the blank space anyway?

Has anyone checked on our sheep?.......just wondering how they are doing too, I know the snow has gotta be pretty deep up in those mtns. .......just a little concerned, I know a few get taken by avalanches.

Baiting snowflakes next year to save the moose
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

mother nature takes it's course......if hunts got cancelled for a yr it's not the end of the world......i love to hunt & be in the outdoors too but we got to do what we got to do.....how's it much different than a tornado or tsunami the wipes out a bunch of people??

Thats a good reply!

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    .....how's it much different than a tornado or tsunami the wipes out a bunch of people??
    The people grow back a heck of a lot faster.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Has anyone checked on our sheep?.......just wondering how they are doing too, I know the snow has gotta be pretty deep up in those mtns. .......just a little concerned, I know a few get taken by avalanches.
    Not exactly, but I have spent a fair bit of time hiking in the front range of the Chugach this winter and have skied a few times a bit deeper into the mountains. The snow has been accompanied by not a small amount of wind, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how much soft, feedable tundra has been exposed. I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks Brian, Thats good to know....It just looks like the Chugachs got hammered this year with snow, especially out in 13D east.

Yeah the moose have been coming around the houses alot more here in the valley and seem less feared of anything, I know they are doing a number on my trees, but at least they are eating, saw one laid down by the little league baseball fields off KGB, next thing I know a bunch of ravens and an eagle are feasting on it....oh well.

For the good of the animals I am going to take next fall off and do my best to tip over a bear or two this spring!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    For the good of the animals I am going to take next fall off and do my best to tip over a bear or two this spring!
    What? ........you not sheep hunting?......I thought this was the year for you to close the deal ???

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yeah, me too. Strictly for the good of the animals (not due to the fact we will be overseas).

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    What? ........you not sheep hunting?......I thought this was the year for you to close the deal ???
    It's this "job" thing that keeps getting in the way. Generally I would commiserate, but since I don't have to be back to work until the 16th this year, I'm just going to give him a hard time this year.

My wife and I booked our flight yesterday. LuJon on the 7th of August = Afghanistan. Brian and wife on the 7th = looking at white dots in the mountains. Advantage = Brian.

A neighbor said he was seeing a lot of moose dead or dieing and then dead a few days later when he was running his lines on his trap line this year more then any other year he has been up here and he's been here since the parks hwy was dirt.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Yeah, me too. Strictly for the good of the animals (not due to the fact we will be overseas).
    To all you guys deploying.............Thanks for your service to this country!!!!...............and come back safe!!!

I had a young calf lay down at the end of the driveway about a week ago and die. I know fish and game cancelled all the permitts in south central for moose. I wouldnt be suprised if the they cancelled the season all togather.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The people grow back a heck of a lot faster.
    And they tear up everything
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It's this "job" thing that keeps getting in the way. Generally I would commiserate, but since I don't have to be back to work until the 16th this year, I'm just going to give him a hard time this year.

My wife and I booked our flight yesterday. LuJon on the 7th of August = Afghanistan. Brian and wife on the 7th = looking at white dots in the mountains. Advantage = Brian.
    Gloating is a sin only thing you two will see is a case of bubble guts and the inside of a tent... Best not to gloat just be content getting out and enjoying life...

Unless all this snow is man made, everything will balance out in the long run. The moose have been hammered with snow loong before there were people to notice it.
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-14-2012 at 11:42.

Holy cow... I wonder how some of you are going to react when we get a real winter again. Like I said in another thread, we had 9 years from 1984 to 1999 that actually had more snow on the ground than we did this year in the upper Valley. We still had moose and moose season then. Yes, Anchorage is having a record year, but an Anchorage record year is a pretty average snowfall in most moose country. Hell, it's hardly even gotten really cold this year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast