Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hunting on tv...yay or nay

Default hunting on tv...yay or nay

Another thread got me thinking quite abit about this...

In my line of work i obviously know alot of hunters...from the some of the best professionals down to the weekend warrors that we all know...i deal with hunters of all kinds. One reacurring thing im noticing amongst more experienced hunters is a disdain for televised hunts and hunting...many guys who live it eat it btreath it,just dont care to watch much of what is being aired on our major hunting networks...in fact my dad who has been an avid hunter sine he was seven or eight had to special order the outdoor channel this year in order to watch a bear hunt i guided that aired...he let it go the following month. and unless i show up again i doubt he'll watch a lic of itever again. This mindset is common from hunters these days. Ive got another filmed hunt comin up this spring and ive been thinkin about it alot...in another thread theres a guy asking for a comped hunt right here on the forum...looks like he booked up with some poor shmuck too.

My personal feelings are mixed...i dont watch it...but other than movies and netflix with the wife, i just dont watch much tv period...i guess id like to know how many of you guys do watch on a regular basis...and what your thought are about it and what you think could be done to make it more appealing to "real" hunters....or maybe i should say more hunters...i love watching good film of hunts that are real and not staged...entertaining as hell. But that isnt the norm it seems...let er rip guys...no better place than here.

I loath those programs, and I don't even own a TV, but I have seen them when house sitting someone cabin. I just want to PUKE when they break into giggling like 7 y/o girls and high'five each other over their massive conquest. I always enjoyed guiding European hunters for their reverence for the harvested animal.

I don't watch the hunting shows much anymore, unless it's an alaskan specific show. I personally don't care to watch the Whitetail obsession shows, or the guy and gal hunting buddy shows, or the southern redneck shows, or the killin turkey shows, ( I mean really the calls that they do grate on my nerves). If it relates to Alaska then I'll tune in.

I think the problem is depending on the type of hunting getting a realistic hunt on video is extermely difficult as you well know.They are out there just few and far between.Most shows today seem to be about the kill shots and fluff vs the hunt with twenety minutes of ads in between,,I remember watching eastmans videos on Alaska and thinking how amazing they were and I think that had a lot to do with his commentary.There are way too many out there that are set up and people have been caught at it all to make that buck.I have hunted with people in the buisness and have heard all kinds of crazy rumors like frozen critters and such(true or not I dont know).. Ya know its a buisness out there to make money and chase ratings and I understand it and some shows are truely entertaining but less and less all the time but hell I dont mind watchin Tiffany once in a while shoot a deer To answer your question I watch very little....

I eat up everthing Alaska, everything else I can do without. I recall a forum member mocking one of those shows some time ago, I still think of it and chuckle whenever one of those whitetail shows comes one, said something like.......... "dhaats a guud buck!"
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Not really my cup of tea but with family in the south that buys into a deer lease I see their side. It's what they have and they work hard at it. Killing a deer is pretty simple, there are tons of them! Killing big ones is a challenge though. For guys making the best of what they have in a world full of private land I see the draw. Most of them see the AK hunts and can only dream of such an adventure. For those of us who do it year in and year out its hard to get excited about a guy sitting over a clover field waiting on a deer to walk out that meets the harvest requirements for their management plan.

I have to admit I watch outdoor stuff, mainly Ak. hunting & fishing but you have to cut me a little slack for the fact that my WIFE made me move back down to the states after spending 10 years up there fishing, hunting ,and guideing in the '80s'. I know thats a piss poor excuse , but right now thats the only one I've got. I still come up every chance I get and I'm trying to talk my son in to getting his first good job when he graduates this spring from C.W.U. so he can he can be my guide for a change. Thanks for letting me vent. Ron.

I might watch something from Alaska but don't watch those shows as a rule.From what I seen its mostly selling the latest greatest this or that over the hunt.The hunting shows probably keep many big eyed with new hero's and the outdoor industry growing which is a good thing but to me it loses the real purpose of fair chase hunting.Unlike me times change
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You got me on that one .I too have watched Tiffany a time or three. My bad?

I like the Alaska stuff, but mostly cause its the spot and stalk types of hunts. I don't enjoy watching some guy in full camo sit still for 10 minutes then shoot a deer and talk about its "score" for the next 10.

I much prefer fishing shows over hunting shows (not the bass fishing but anything exotic or Alaskan) I really liked watching a trout bums movie on New Zealand trout (maybe cause I was going to NZ in 2 months at the time) I also liked eastern rises by felt sole media (on Kamchatka) those are two sweet movies on fishing

Quote Originally Posted by shanksmare View Post
    You got me on that one .I too have watched Tiffany a time or three. My bad?
    Lol...not at all. And no need for apologizing...i actually think its a good thing just done wrong much of the time...

It was all cool the first year or two, but now it all seems to be a repeat of the last 20 years of hunting shows.

I can still enjoy Jim Shockey when he is moose hunting or sneaking on a bear eating grass on a beach. The Choice is alright once in a while when they are hunting something other than deer and black bears. Tiffany, I just can't figure out why I watch that mess, but a few minutes a weekend is all I can handle.

The deer hunting from stands just does not do much for me. It appears to just be putting meat on the table kind of hunting. Growing up in the west and then spending the last 30 years up here I prefer open country with vast vistas and spot and stalk. Which makes Eastman's interesting some times.

The Wardens show from MT is kind of cool. They have gone through some situations that if it had been the Nat Geo AK Trooper show someone would have been face down in the mud and cuffed. However, the MT Wardens just wrote tickets and explained why and moved on.

In my opinion, there is nothing more boring than midwestern game hunting shows. They all seem to hunt in blinds or on horses and there seems to be not much challenge to it except for the patience necessary to get something. And they all seem to be wearing some ridiculous camo get up, head to toe. I always see their outfits and laugh.

At least Alaska shows sometimes highlight the difficulties that the terrain and weather and regulations offer. The only ones I can tolerate are Alaskan or African ones, but then again, I dont have TV service at my place either. I dont really consider hunting as entertainment. I generally only search out media for it when studying for the next season or attempting to show someone what hunting up here is like. I will admit, in the dead middle of winter, when the indoor madness is setting in good, I will watch almost every video on the forum here.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I to watch the shows about Alaska, or one that might have information or tips, as for the ones that all about the white-tail hunt. As for the sitting in a tree and waiting all day , Im not a bird so I dont belong in a tree. And when they jump around and act like they cured cancer after the kill is sooooooo stupid, and couple od Females on the show I doubt could hunt if they were not guided, and feed good animals, But if I do watch them its for the comedy of the hosts, or the wisdom of th NUGG

I was overjoyed when the Outdoor Channel first came out, but within a month I was disgusted and dismayed. I too was looking for something more like The old Eastman shows where they got out and actually worked for their animals amid some real wilderness settings.

What turns me off? First, to me hunting is actually searching out the animals that you take. It's not sitting in a blind in a baited field sorting through 50 or 60 animals for your choice of trophy. The search and the settings are a big part of what makes hunting enjoyable to me. Then there is the disrespect I see people on these shows giving to the animals. And lastly, most of these shows seem to be commercials either for an outfitter, a guide, or the products that they use. It's all about trying to sell you something instead of being about communing with nature and taking on a real challenge.

I'd rather set and trade old hunting stories with my friends than watch any of these shows ever again.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I can't stand hunting television with darn few exceptions. I haven't made my mind up about Rinella but the three minute trailer I saw was promising. Most of the hunting shows have an infomercial feel to them- one makes no bones about it and advertises their product through and through.

By and large though, I'm a doer, not a watcher. I actually like playing golf but I think televised golf is the only thing perhaps more boring than televised hunting.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I could probably watch the Eastman films day after day. I remember one of them where they were horseback riding through BC and I think on up into AK. A group of 12 rams virtually let them walk right up on top of them. Eastman said........."I don't think these rams ever saw people before." Those old films never get old to me.

But most of this crap I see on the Pursuit channel drives me nuts.........especially when they have to throw in the "head bonkin" music "for effect". For some reason it rubs me the wrong way when after a kill, the person says..."I smoked that sucker!!!"

I must admit tho, that a lot of it depends on the person/s doing, and in, the video. And the other is the animal they are after. I have to say I have a fondness for well done elk hunting shows where they take horses deep into some beautiful country like CO. MT. WY. or ID.

I can't stand them. It's the same show over and over with exception to a few. Some "Pro" sitting in a tree stand hunting over a food plot, on a game ranch where these deer are grown. These deer walk up to eat the bait and they get shot. That is not hunting, that is fishing! Many of the deer look like they have broccoli growing out of thier heads. It looks like they are genetic defects. I like the look of a typical fork horn much better.

It's sickens me to see what hunting has become on tv. Some "Pro" acting like a d-bag after he makes the kill. What ever happened to honoring the animal. What ever happened to walking up to the deer and noting how big bodied he is instead of going directly to the antlers and trying to make a guess at what he scores. That's one thing I like about the show with Shockey's dad, and father in law. They see a fork horn and start saying "Wow! He is a monster, look at the size of that thing!" then they shoot it and talk about how good it's going to taste. And as somebody stated earlier, the european guides are typically the only ones on these shows that actually honor the animal.

Most people have already hit on what is wrong with these shows. They are basically an infomercial peddling some new camo pattern or some junk piece of gear that they just couldn't be a successful hunter without. Most of these guys would probably not even be able to hunt a deer in a zoo without a guide. They only hunt places where they are guaranteed a kill. Never on public land, or without a guide.

I would watch these shows if maybe they did a DIY public land hunt like the guys do on Alaska Outdoors TV do. Shockey also does DIY hunts although he is guided most of the time. The guys on Best of the West have some good shows, although it would be nice if they would back off a little on trying to sell thier rifles and scopes. It's the only show I have seen where they do a lot of sheep hunts.

Personally I would rather watch waterfowl shows than big game. The problem is, they cancelled most of them.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I like the Jim Shockey show that's about it. He incorporates almost a travel channel aspect to some of his hunts which is sometimes interesting. I can not stand the country bumpkin shows where they act like a bunch of clowns giving each other <insert celebretory act here>.
    In fact I dont have cable at all. When at my uncles house sometimes I watch some of his recorded Shockey shows.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Personally I would rather watch waterfowl shows than big game. The problem is, they cancelled most of them.
    Hey guy........I wanted to mention to you that there is a duck hunting video floating around out there where a guy put a camera on his retriever. I must say its pretty cool to watch...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast