Thread: ceracoat vs duracoat

Default ceracoat vs duracoat

just curious...

both are good but which is preferred by you guys and why? ceracoat is actually cheaper than duracoat by far. i see videos by ceracoat boasting its like 4 times better than duracoat but that may be a biased video.

this one is duracoated...

it appears ceracoat wont bind the inks i use so i guess its out of the equation anyway...

IF I were to have a gun "coated", I would use cerakote, as it is much thinner, and appears to be a harder coating. Less chance than a thick coating to bind the working parts.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Cerakote hands down !!!!......To me, cerakote is more durable, I always thought Cerakote was a little more pricier. I Talked to the folks at Nosler, they went with cerakote for their Model 48 Custom sporters.

Cerakote is a great finish for exterior parts but it is a bit gritty on things inside the gun. IMHO,best finish for interior parts if you are going to use a heat cure is Norrell's Moly Resin. If applied properly and cured, Duracoat does not need to be thick to protect but will scuff quicker than Cerokote or Moly Resin. If you are just doing the exterior of the gun then there is nothing wrong with any of them. I do not use Gun Kote because of a chipping issue.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have been researching this topic for a couple of weeks and Duracoat seems to be the best way to go on a limited budget. For less than 30 bucks, a person can get a kit that will take care of at least 1 long gun. The best part about this is being able to do it easily on your own. Cerakote looks like its application process is a little lengthy while a bit more expensive than Duracoat. As I explained to my kitchen commander, if this was a self project than I would use Duracoat and if I was willing to pay someone else to do it, then it would have to be Cerakote.

I've used duracoat for awhile and have never had any issues with it. Cerakote has less color options and you can only buy it in larger quantities. With duracoat i can buy 2oz, 4oz, 8oz, etc so there is less waste if your only doing a small project. I usually buy colors that are used more often in larger quantities. The thing that kills either of them is the hazmat fees to get it shipped to Alaska so either way you go it's better to do a group purchase. I've sprayed actions, bolts and all moving parts with duracoat without issue. I guess it depends, like in the last post, if your doing it yourself or having someone else do it what your personal preference is.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I've used duracoat for awhile and have never had any issues with it. Cerakote has less color options and you can only buy it in larger quantities. With duracoat i can buy 2oz, 4oz, 8oz, etc so there is less waste if your only doing a small project. I usually buy colors that are used more often in larger quantities. The thing that kills either of them is the hazmat fees to get it shipped to Alaska so either way you go it's better to do a group purchase. I've sprayed actions, bolts and all moving parts with duracoat without issue. I guess it depends, like in the last post, if your doing it yourself or having someone else do it what your personal preference is.

You can buy small quantities of Cerakote also. I've done it several times, straight from NIC. And I spray the Cerakote myself. Though I did build an oven to bake the parts in, they have air cure formulas for almost all their colors too.

And my goodness, if Cerakote doesn't have enough color choices for you, I'm not sure what you're looking for. They may not have all their colors listed as gun finishes, but they have a LOT of colors.

I don't care what works better, that stock looks great! Good job Can't wait to get the action back into it!

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    You can buy small quantities of Cerakote also. I've done it several times, straight from NIC. And I spray the Cerakote myself. Though I did build an oven to bake the parts in, they have air cure formulas for almost all their colors too.

And my goodness, if Cerakote doesn't have enough color choices for you, I'm not sure what you're looking for. They may not have all their colors listed as gun finishes, but they have a LOT of colors.
    what quantities have you found in cerakote? I've only seen larger quantities. I can't open the webpage where i'm at so it may have changed since the last time i've looked at that stuff.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    what quantities have you found in cerakote? I've only seen larger quantities. I can't open the webpage where i'm at so it may have changed since the last time i've looked at that stuff.
    They sell 4oz. bottles that they cal "testers" for $35. I did 4 barreled actions with one 4 oz. bottle.

I looked into getting some Cerakote but nobody from NIC ever got back with me. I think I'm gonna try them again, but am curious to see if the non-bake has the same durability as the bake version....

That said, I just placed a HEALTHY duracoat order a few minutes ago

Preed, I gotcha covered...I'll yak atcha in a few weeks when I get home.

Air cure Cerakote is good but not up to the heat cure.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.