Thread: Remmington 760 Bushmaster questions

Default Remmington 760 Bushmaster questions

Looking to outfit an old 760 that has been sitting in my Dad's gun safe for 30 years. I've pulled up a picture from the internet that shows an sling that looks to be attached right to the barrel. I've yet to track down one of these. Any recommendations and also some thoughts on these interesting looking scope mounts?

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

i dont know about the sling mount the mounts are weavers same as on my 45-70 i really like them. i would gladly own a 760 again. it shoulders so nice like all rem's do i guess.

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I had a set of scope mounts like that on a Remington 7400 in 308. No matter what I did I could not get the scope on target. It was always low. I went through several different scopes and never was able to get the thing more than 4in low before running out of adjustment. I gave up on the rings after that. Liked the rifle though. I sold it years ago before moving to Alaska.

Good luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    I had a set of scope mounts like that on a Remington 7400 in 308. No matter what I did I could not get the scope on target. It was always low. I went through several different scopes and never was able to get the thing more than 4in low before running out of adjustment. I gave up on the rings after that. Liked the rifle though. I sold it years ago before moving to Alaska.

Good luck!
    John
    4 inches? Hell, that's minute-of-moose!
    Here's a couple pics of me and "Ol' Rusty"

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Get it done gun,great pics
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks guys. I was on a few sites today and found some real negative comments on a few of the scope bases, that echo JC's comments. I'm really looking forward to getting this gun set up.

My father has one too, still hunts with it. He's left handed/left eye dominant. Works good for him, but now in his older years he don't like to tote it because it's heavy. He now does most of his hunting with a 30-30 trapper model with an 18 in. barrel.

Jes Reboring can rebore that model 760 to 35 whelen or 9.3x62 mauser for about $200 (shipping included). He could also drop the barrel down to eighteen inches I'd assume. Would make a dandy bear gun with the ability to push 250 grain bullets from the whelen or 300 grain bullets from the ole 9.3.

I had a newer 7600 variant and I couldn't get it to shoot for crap. One thing to watch out for, is the rubber o-ring on the fore-arm cylinder. If there is excessive noise, that o-ring has to be replaced.

The little plastic shroud on the ejection port, is the only thing that will hold one of the un-captured pins of the bolt in place. Make sure to always put it back during re-assembly.

The wilson combat ghost ring sight for the rear of a 20 gauge 870 will fit the receiver of a 760/7600 because it's the same receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    My father has one too, still hunts with it. He's left handed/left eye dominant. Works good for him, but now in his older years he don't like to tote it because it's heavy. He now does most of his hunting with a 30-30 trapper model with an 18 in. barrel.

Jes Reboring can rebore that model 760 to 35 whelen or 9.3x62 mauser for about $200 (shipping included). He could also drop the barrel down to eighteen inches I'd assume. Would make a dandy bear gun with the ability to push 250 grain bullets from the whelen or 300 grain bullets from the ole 9.3.

I had a newer 7600 variant and I couldn't get it to shoot for crap. One thing to watch out for, is the rubber o-ring on the fore-arm cylinder. If there is excessive noise, that o-ring has to be replaced.

The little plastic shroud on the ejection port, is the only thing that will hold one of the un-captured pins of the bolt in place. Make sure to always put it back during re-assembly.

The wilson combat ghost ring sight for the rear of a 20 gauge 870 will fit the receiver of a 760/7600 because it's the same receiver.
    This is an intruiging idea. I like the whelan thought.

Then again, as Stranger says, if you can't kill it with a 30-06, you should hide

Uncle mike's 760bb swivel set. That is what is in your photo.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I`m looking to pull my Mom`s old (4-digit serial#) 760 out of the closet too...would like to get some use out of it. Anyone know where to get 10 round magazines??

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Anyone know where to get 10 round magazines??
    Try Gunbroker or Google.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Steer clear of ten round magazines, they seldom work IME. While the 760 isn't the most durable, or the most accurate rifles they are usually goodnuff for the majority of hunting. The newer 7600 is a better design as far as longevity goes, the larger locking lugs don't have the tendency to batter like the smaller ones on the older 760. I too will suggest that you steer clear of see through scope mounts, most of them are pretty flimsy, and they generally put your face up in outer space trying to look through the scope.

I shot my first two deer with an old 760 when I was a little fellow. It was my great Grandad's rifle and he loaned it to me after he got too old to deer hunt, it was chambered in 244 Rem.

Midway USA has a bunch for the 760, 762, 7600, 740 rifles in 30-06, 270, 35 whelen. The non remington ones have been know to be cheap and need modifications to feed correctly. Heck I have a couple factory magazines that did not work no matter what I did to them either. Good luck.

I love shooting my Grandmas autoloader, 762 woodsman in 30-06. It feel good to shoot but can't hit a barn door. It shoot the best with 180g coreloks, go figure. I have the 740 in 35 whelen and like it a lot. Still not the most accurate gun I have, but minute of most critters and cans. Fun to shoot. Just wish it was easier to clean and it was stainless. I only use the 5 rd magazines, I don't like to put 10 rds down any gun in a hurry unless it is a .22 caliber.