Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimping Charters

Smile Shrimping Charters

The wife an I are wanting to get some shrimp this year and we're looking to find a charter outfit that takes people shrimping, either out of Whittier or perhaps Seward. Thanks

If you only want shrimp for the freezer you would be money ahead if you just buy shrimp from one of the few commercial shrimpers.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

saturday afternoons on the corner near the stoplight.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

My understanding is that you would have to have and bring your own shrimping gear. The transporter may not touch your gear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    saturday afternoons on the corner near the stoplight.
    by 3 bears on pw hwy?
    Semper Fi!

Default Cost

a 6 pack charter costs $200-$250 per person. So to charter a boat you are looking at $1200+. So at the end of the day those shrimp are going to cost you about $200+ per pound. 10th&M is a whole lot cheaper.

There is a shrimpimg charter out of Whittier http://www.saltwaterexcursions.com/shrimping-charters/
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Check it out. The charter provided by Roger charges $285pp halibut or salmon and $310pp long range/combo for fishing ~ shrimping prices not listed but they drop pots on the way out to fish and pull either once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    a 6 pack charter costs $200-$250 per person. So to charter a boat you are looking at $1200+. So at the end of the day those shrimp are going to cost you about $200+ per pound. 10th&M is a whole lot cheaper.

Redfisher,
    Or you could buy your own boat, gear, truck to haul it, insurance, fuel, maintenance, safety gear, kicker, dinghy and on and on dropping six figures and come home with 40lbs of tails every like we do. LOL!!
    It's all about the experience and maybe thats what the OP is looking for?!
    I say take the shrimping charter and have a blast, I'm sure you won't regret it. The bonus is eating those sweet sea cockroaches at the end of the day.
    Good luckk and let us know how much fun you have.
    BK

I says they only do the shrimp if you buy to whole boat for the day. So minimum of $1806. The OP stated they wanted to do a shrimp charter. If shrimp is just a bonus for a fish charter then it is what it is, but just for shrimp its crazy expensive.

Full boat taxes port $36 and fuel $60 add another $96. WoW! This is starting make all our expenses [as bkmail eluded] seem even more worthwhile...

Ok I'm going to jump off the subject (Nothing new around here ).. But is there a place in Anchorage that sells Alaska shrimp this time of year ? Reason I ask I had my first taste of Alaskan shrimp 2 years ago and I tried to tell the wife it taste nothing like the crap you get the the grocery store has a sweet taste as BKmail said. But she does not believe me

akjohnson98@gmail.com is the guy you'll see along the road wit the yellow signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Ok I'm going to jump off the subject (Nothing new around here ).. But is there a place in Anchorage that sells Alaska shrimp this time of year ? Reason I ask I had my first taste of Alaskan shrimp 2 years ago and I tried to tell the wife it taste nothing like the crap you get the the grocery store has a sweet taste as BKmail said. But she does not believe me

You can ask to be added to their mailing list so you know when and where they'll be in your area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    akjohnson98@gmail.com is the guy you'll see along the road with the yellow signs.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    You can ask to be added to their mailing list so you know when and where they'll be in your area.
    Thank You very much

This time of year the yellow sign guy is selling SE caught shrimp not PWS shrimp.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If you had enough people to fill the boat then why not? You are going to pay $250+ nowadays just for a full day halibut charter so $310 per person to get to fish Halibut/rockfish and or salmon and get some shrimp isn't all that bad.
    Cheaper to buy at 10th and M yes but if you can find others to fill the boat and you would do a charter either way then why not?
    Maybe you could even find some others on here willing to help you fill the boat.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    place on muldoon by holiday seafood place, alaska spot shrimp 21 bucks a lb, and you need to peel them and depoo yoruself.
    Semper Fi!

Thanks for the replies guys. Something like Roger mentioned is what I'm looking for. I should of been more specific in my opening post. A combo trip would be fun and a learning experience for a newbie like me to. I do however someday soon to do lie bkmail mentioned, get a boat, gear, new truck, friends/buddies etc etc and go out and do it on own, but that will happen in due time. Alot of things have to come together first before that happens. I'll checkout that saltwaterexcursions and see what they're all about and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    This time of year the yellow sign guy is selling SE caught shrimp not PWS shrimp.
    What's the difference Steve ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast