Thread: GPS recommendations?

Question GPS recommendations?

I have a really old Garmin and was wanting to get a new one. I would mostly be using it for hunting, hiking, fishing. I was looking at all the models and features and just can't decide which one would be best. I was just curious on what most people think about the new ones. I was considering the Garmin Etrex, Dakota, Oregon, and Montana models. If anyone has any experience with them I would appreciate some advice.
    Thanks,
    Greg

Just got the Oregon 550T, really like the topos and the 3D view. Also like the ability to check you compass without having to move.

I love my Oregon 440. But the camera of the 550 would be nice. I would not go with the preset topo you can get better quality maps for around $100 that IMO show better detail.

garmin 60 or 62 series......i like the non touch screens personally, easier to get around for me

I have a Garmin 60cs, I would not recommend you buy it because of the poor sensitivity, I have gotten lost several times because of it. I now have a 62s and it work’s a lot better.

60csx...LOVE it. It has the increased sensitivity (works in your house). I'm not a fan of the touch screens for my GPS. This one works great, and w/the topo card: awesome!

gpsnow.com <---cheapest place
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

For what it's worth, the industrial users of Garmin's (of which I am one) seem to have shied away from the touch screen versions. Mostly due to screen visibility issues in direct sunlight I believe, although I haven't messed with one. Current "issue" GPS for our company is the 62s, which I like a lot. The new version of the etrex isn't bad for light duty use, and takes up very little space in your pack or pocket.

One great thing about Garmin's is the Basecamp software. The latest version makes it easy for your GPS to talk to Google Earth, a feature which I think is very cool.

Yk

I don't have experience with garmin ...

As far as topo charts go ... we generally don't use the topo features on the GPS much like we did when we would navigate around the kelp beds at good speed.

I usually print out a color photo (or topo chart) that has our waypoints on it. If we need to see topo ... then we look at the large photo or topo chart in conjunction with the GPS.

Between the Delorme and magellan brands, I like the delorme. The delorme picks up satellites really fast but has a small screen. Generally store the trail we ride in, and the return trip is quite easy to follow.

I was looking into replacing my old etrex as well, I looked at the Oregon and the Montana models and although the Montana is large the sales person was explaining an add on "BirdsEye" satilite images. Are you or anyone else familar with this option?

I have the Oregon 450t and really like it!

Quote Originally Posted by onthekenai View Post
    I was looking into replacing my old etrex as well, I looked at the Oregon and the Montana models and although the Montana is large the sales person was explaining an add on "BirdsEye" satilite images. Are you or anyone else familar with this option?
    I had a 62s and tried the BirdsEye on it. Didn't care for it. The screen is too small to be real useful And the Garmin software to run it was awful..
    I also didn't care for the 62s and sold it. 2 major problems I had with the 62s, 1st, the screen is difficult to read, without the back light on, in some light conditions. 2nd the software used in the 62s would render the Forest Service roads in my area as a gray color,vs a red in the 60csx. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it made seeing the roads very difficult. I use a GPS daily for work and need to see those roads easily. I went back to a 60csx. I have 2 60csx's now, just in case one breaks.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I believe that the color for roads is a adjustable in the settings. I will check on mine when I get a chance. I do run a low setting of backlight on mine and get great batter life, especially with lithium batts. It also boots faster than my 60csx did so I usually leave it off and just fire it up when I need breadcrumbs or to check position.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I had a 62s and tried the BirdsEye on it. Didn't care for it. The screen is too small to be real useful And the Garmin software to run it was awful..
    I also didn't care for the 62s and sold it. 2 major problems I had with the 62s, 1st, the screen is difficult to read, without the back light on, in some light conditions. 2nd the software used in the 62s would render the Forest Service roads in my area as a gray color,vs a red in the 60csx. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it made seeing the roads very difficult. I use a GPS daily for work and need to see those roads easily. I went back to a 60csx. I have 2 60csx's now, just in case one breaks.
    Agree that birdeye or any other imagery on a small screen is pretty useless. Also the last time I looked, the birdeye coverage in Alaska was very poor.

I haven't had any issues using my current 62s in the field, but then again I liked the 60csx also, and in some ways the 60 was a little simpler and easier to use.

One thing I do really like about the 62s and other newer Garmin versions is the ability to transfer data to another GPS wirelessly. Really handy to be able to teleport over that new route you bushwacked, survey point, LZ or fuel cache without having to fire up a laptop or try and hand enter it.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I believe that the color for roads is a adjustable in the settings. I will check on mine when I get a chance. I do run a low setting of backlight on mine and get great batter life, especially with lithium batts. It also boots faster than my 60csx did so I usually leave it off and just fire it up when I need breadcrumbs or to check position.
    Road color is not adjustable in the settings (at least when I had mine, maybe they changed it).

There are pluses to the 62s, just for me the 60csx is a better choice.
    I kept the 62s for about 6 months, I caught myself grabbing the 60csx more often than not.

The wireless transfer is a nice feature, especially for the folks in my age group, blind as a bat and can't hear.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I personally prefer the 76/78 series marine unit over the 60/62 series. The internals and software is the same. The differnce is the button placement and the antenna, plus the 76/78 floats if dropped in the water.

Unless you need the geocaching functions of the latest 62 or 78 series, I'd recommend picking up the older 60 or 76 model at a reduced price. You definitely want the CSx model, regardless of which case you go with.

Stay away from the touchscreen models. Very fragile and not worthy of the Alaskan outdoors. They might work OK in Oregon, Colorado and Montana, but they haven't made an Alaska model yet.

Don't bother with anything in the eTrex series. They are cheap for a reason... cuz, they are cheap.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Delorme Earthmate PN60W. I hate having to pay hundreds of dollars for a GPS and then having to spend another $99 just to get maps that are worth a crap. the PN60W comes with Topo 9.0 and a years subscription to download sattelite imagery and other maps (regularly 30/yr)
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

garmin 62st, already has the maps which is great for up here. don't have to worry about the touchscreens and works pretty well in the cold with lithium batteries. great piece of equipment i wouldn't get anything else.

Thanks for all the input guys! Lots of helpful info.