Thread: getting to kodiak

Default getting to kodiak

Just wondering if anyone can share the details about taking the ferry. What is the charge per person, what is the charge for a vehicle and trailer, how long does it take? Any addition info or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

It was an overnight trip from Homer last time I did it.

Check out Alaska Marine Highway website for details.

Second what Vern says. IT will depend on where you are embarking the ferry at. Also trailers over a certain length you might have to hire someone to do a shuffle. If in doubt call the AMHS.
    Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    It was an overnight trip from Homer last time I did it.

Check out Alaska Marine Highway website for details.

From Homer to Kodiak is close to 12 hours.

The cost depends on the season and who and what is going check the website.

One thing to watch for, as far as seasonal breaks go,
    if your planning a hunt or something that works in fall, or early spring

is that the driver goes for free, along with your rig, in winter season
    this has been the story in the past anyway,

can be a pretty big savings if you can wait for the fall break
    thought I'd mention it, in case it's not obvious on the website
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

In 2006, was $760 Homer to Kodiak, and $900 Kodiak to Homer coming back. Was two people with large pick-up truck. Web-site is where you start, then go ahead and call. Don't forget to ask if any discounts... Military, cabin, day vrs night passage, driver free??

Hope this helps,
    Chris

Not ferry details, but I booked a flight from ANC to Kodiak, round trip, it was only $385. I was planning on taking the ferry, but the flight was so cheap I figured ***? I'm just going to ship my gear down a few weeks in advance and hope for the best! I have friends down there so even if my gear doesn't make it, I should be ok. Still a gamble, but what's life without a little risk?!?

ok,the thought of shipping gear ahead makes sense but what about vehicle rentals on kodiak. I'm looking into the late July time frame. Does anyone know if the base has anything as I'm retired military. Thanks again for the help.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Kodiak To Homer and back on Labor Day weekend, me and 21' truck and my dog cost just a tad under 400, no cabin. Trip is 9 hrs depending on tides and whether or not the ferry your on stops in Port LIons or not. Be careful that you don;t get on the ferry that goes all teh way out teh island chain, then it's a couple days. When I came over from Homer in June with the truck and boat, 56' total it was $303 for the truck and $551 for the 35' boat trailer, I also had a cabin, but not really needed for that short trip. The Kennicott has a 50' loading elevator, the Tustemena has a 40'er. So if your over length on the ferry your scheduled for you may have to "Double Shuffle". I had to double shuffle to get on the Kenicott it the boat, you pull the trailer up to the loading area in the parking lot then pay the guy $35 to load your rig, then you just drive on, you can do the same to get off. I was able to drag the boat onto the elevator, they unhooked and blocked boat in place, then backed alongside boat to fit everythign on. Can't do this loading though as teh elivator when up high has a wall on one end. When it's on the car deck below it runs in a way that you can acutally drive onto one side ond off the other a little, giving you room to manuver. I've done it a couple times, spent lots of time on teh ferrys, if you need anything else give me a shout.

The Base does not have rentals, however there is a rental car facility at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    ok,the thought of shipping gear ahead makes sense but what about vehicle rentals on kodiak. I'm looking into the late July time frame. Does anyone know if the base has anything as I'm retired military. Thanks again for the help.

We stayed at one of the hotels in town weathered in when we returned from the field a few years ago. Ended up walking to the little shopping area in town and there was a rental place there. Picked up a car and wondered out from town to try and trip over a deer. Ended up being a fun hike but no animals spotted. I imagine that the rental company is still in business and cost wasn't bad. Not like you can put many miles on a car there!

Not sure when you plan on going, but next winter the Tustumena will be in overhaul for several months. The Kennicott will be running, most likely doing the Cross Gulf to Whittier, Yakutat, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Prince Rupert. Kennicott cannot go to Port Lions and tide dependent for Seldovia.

kodiakmwr.com
    USCG base has boat and camper rentals and free check out of camping gear.
    Scheduled space-A flights to/from Anchorage can be found there as well.
    keep your load as short as possible to save money on ferry

You should bring your tattoo gear when you come up, could probably pay for your trip! I PM'd you my number a while back, give me a call if you need anything when you arrive.