Thread: Double Tap 200grn .40 S&W load

Default Double Tap 200grn .40 S&W load

Have any of you shot this round in your .40? I am thinking of buying some (NOT FOR BEAR PROTECTION) and wondering how it shoots.

Never shot any of the .40S&W loads. However they are rated over 1000fps and I would carry them for bears if I didn't already have a 10mm and was still carrying a .40. Get the WFNGC and don't look back! Bear or people would hate to be hit by it! Carry for bears and you'll love the compactness and weight of auto!

I've done 180 gr at 1050 and they shot well out of my G35 and G23 but were no fun in the G27.

200 gr hard cast at 1000....I'd shoot a bear with them. No, it's not the best bear load but having the gun with you is better than a hand cannon that is in the safe or truck.

The G23 is a whole lot easier to carry than a bigger gun...even nicer than my G20 with a G29 grip.

Anyone have any loads for the short and weak that will actually do 1000fps with a 200gr HC out of a 4" barrel????
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

The recent Double Tap velocities don't match the boxflap on some calibers, so do some research before you buy.

That being said, they are probably the only ones in the world to offer a .40 S&W w/ WFNGC, regardless of velocity.

If you want to load your own, you might get to 1000 with that bullet using Blue Dot, 800X, AA #7, or Longshot. No personal experience with it, but you probably won't fit enough of the slower powders in the case to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by HBM View Post
    If you want to load your own, you might get to 1000 with that bullet using Blue Dot, 800X, AA #7, or Longshot. No personal experience with it, but you probably won't fit enough of the slower powders in the case to make it work.
    Yes a compressed load of Blue Dot can push 200g just under 1000fps from a 6" 40S&W but it's way hard on the little 9mm size guns.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by HBM View Post
    The recent Double Tap velocities don't match the boxflap on some calibers, so do some research before you buy.

That being said, they are probably the only ones in the world to offer a .40 S&W w/ WFNGC, regardless of velocity.

Some have not for years, like the 200gr WFNGC in 10mm rated at 1300fps, average for me was 1200 with some at 1180 out of a very nice KKM 6", yep not the 4.6" they so called test with! Lots of customers at the time had reported the same. That is why I swiched up to the 230gr WFNGC 10mm. Average was 1140fps and rated for 1120fps on the box. So out of a stock length bbl might be below the box rating. But out of my gun I chose to get the extra 30gr at only a few fps slower! Not into hand loading yet, prolly never will be. Saving up brass tho, havn't sold any for awhile.

I too am curious about the heavy cast bullets for 40 s&w. I do have a 454 and carry it in bear country but it would be nice to have a lighter smaller package with decent Hardcast bullets for my HK uspc primarily for hiking around anchorage trails. I am much more proficient with the HK and have a couple defensive handgun classes under my belt with about 5k rounds down the tube. I can't say the same for my ruger. Furthermore the usp is rated for +p+ loads so one would think this combination would be ideal for the heavy double tap loads. Unfortunately there isn't much info on this load in 40 on this and any other credible forums on the net.

So if I had to turn this post into a question it would be have any of you killed a brown or black near with a cast 40 s&w?