Thread: Sheep hunting - Bugs - Fishing - Gold panning

Default Sheep hunting - Bugs - Fishing - Gold panning

We are headed to the Wrangells in August to chase rams. Current plan is to get dropped off at a small lake and hike till we find one or until it is time to turn back. Will be at 3,500 to 7,000 feet.

How are the bugs? Do we need to carry any repellent?

How about fishing? Trout or grayling at the lake? Pretty big stream runs the length of the valley we will be at. Do the streams normally contain grayling? Debating if I should take a ultralight outift with a few flies or spinners.

Finally, anyone ever carry a gold pan and mess around with it?

Just trying to find out if carrying any of these extra items are worth it.

Fishing, gold panning? Really? Given the expense and effort that goes into a successful sheep hunt and reducing pack weight, I couldn't imagine lugging all that other stuff around or wasting time with it while I could be hunting.

What is the name of the lake, need that to comment on fishing/prospecting potential.

I would recomend not giving specific lake on the internet for a sheep hunt.

Bugs not bad was there this august. I did not bring any repellant.

Don't worry about bringing fishing stuff, you should be much higher than the lake hunting. If you have extra weight you can bring I guess I would bring a rod and leave it at the lake.

Would not worry about the gold pan.

Different strokes for different folks. I like to hunt but just as important is having fun. You can't hunt 24/7. If one of us is glassing I see no harm in tossing a spinner or running a pan. Fresh grayling can taste mighty good after 3 days of freeze drieds.

Ultra light fishing rod, reel, and a plastic gold pan is 20 ounces. I can live with it

If you have the room and weight I would bring a small rod worst thing that could happen is you dont use it. Might give you something to do if waiting for a plane or you tag out early and yes the fresh fish would tast good.Your transporter may be able to answer the question of fish being there or not and I agree dont post the name(which I am sure you know already) or fishing might be the only thing you'll be doing cause of all the other hunters there..;-) I have a small bottle of bug spray that is double baggied that never leaves my pack,I rarely use it in sheep country but sure hate to not have it if I did need it.(could be bugs around the lake).Gold pan I have had the thought of playin around and taking one but Im sure that would depend on the area and I would only consider if I was tagged out...

No harm in taking a few extra things and leaving them at a base camp at the strip or drop off point. If you get done hunting early then it will be fun to fish or pan for gold.

I had actually thought about taking a pan with me this year on my Brooks Range hunt, not sure if that's legal in ANWR though. Last year we sat around for 3 days waiting for the plane to come and was bored as hell!

Thanks for the tips guys. We also plan on taking in a nice big heavy bag of canned goodies and leave them where the plane drops us off. Could be a real treat if we made it back early. Just hope the bears dont get into it.
    Sounds like a tiny bottle of deet might make it in the pack, just in case.
    And of course the lake will remain nameless.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. We also plan on taking in a nice big heavy bag of canned goodies and leave them where the plane drops us off. Could be a real treat if we made it back early. Just hope the bears dont get into it.
    Sounds like a tiny bottle of deet might make it in the pack, just in case.
    And of course the lake will remain nameless.
    I tell everyone,,if they give you 70lbs take 70lbs or whatever the allowence unless you get a break in cost for less and leave it at the drop, just be smart in what extra you take..good luck on your hunt
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I tell everyone,,if they give you 70lbs take 70lbs or whatever the allowence unless you get a break in cost for less and leave it at the drop, just be smart in what extra you take..good luck on your hunt
    dave
    pretty much my philosophy on this topic as well. As long as it doesn't cost more and I don't have to haul it on my back then I might as well drag it along.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    pretty much my philosophy on this topic as well. As long as it doesn't cost more and I don't have to haul it on my back then I might as well drag it along.
    Yea I taken books,camp chairs,blocks of cheese,a six pack,spice kits for the meat if sucessful all kind of stuff to keep busy with while waiting for the plane...beats counting the squares in the tent...lol

Snowwolfe,
    For more specific answers, are you flying into the Northern or Southern Wrangles?? (Note that PMs work just fine.)
    But based on your current questions....

Bugs have not been a problem on either side, north or south of the "hard park". A few mosquitos sometimes, an occasional black fly while in the tundra stuff hiking up toward sheep. But I would still have some type of bug juice for a hot day with no wind. A much larger problem will be keeping those big-@$$ huge black flies off your meat bags after whacking a ram. They can lay out thousands of eggs on the bags, and they can find the smallest hole in the bags.

Grayling, usually smallish 12 inchers, in nearly all clear water full-time-creeks. Sometimes in the clear water some-of-the-time-creeks also. The bigger waters, both north side and south side, are generally glacial melt waters and not fishable.

No gold to be panned on the north side. South side unknown. While working the south side I was working too hard to be concerned with gold, and I never heard anybody discuss panning. Gold pan works well when frying up a pile of sheep meat.

Do not forget 5 pounds of salt for the cape. I take 2 1/2 pounds for the mountain camp, and leave 2 1/2+ pounds at the pickup point.

Of the items you mentioned I would only take insect repellent.
    Hope this helps some.
    (Might have some useful info specific to either north side or south side of the "hard park".)

AlaskaTrue/Dennis