Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large sheep

Default Large sheep

Came accross this picture of the buthcer baker murder's basement. The state troopers took it during investigations. That looks like one heck of a sheep.

http://butcherbaker.net/photos.html

What a HAWG!!

I saw a special on TV about that guy. The show said that his Ram was Boone and Crockett, Somebody with a copy should be able to look him up and post the measurements. His name is Robert Hansen, sick individual, but what a Ram!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

He claimed to have shot them with his bow. His one sheep was a world record at the time. His records were stripped from the book after he was convicted.

Ya, I found it insulting and not good for our collective image to see his trophy room. I'm a hard working honest family man and enjoy having trophies. That was not good hunter PR material.

It was taken in the Chugach Mountains in 1971 and scored 163 1⁄8. If my memory is correct the longest horn was either 52 or 55 inches long.

I have researched this a bit. I have an early 1981 Bowhunting Big Game Records Book by Pope and Young that has his sheep as the number one sheep. It is listed as 163 1/8 R41-6/8 L40-7/8 Bases-R 13-4/8 L13-2/8 GS 31-5/8.
    He reportedly took it near Knik Glacier. Hansen supposedly took another large sheep by bow in 1970 that was 148-0/8 near the same location.
    One of the things that happened during the investigation of his murders was that it was discovered that he shot the largest of his sheep with a rifle and then put arrow into the bullet hole. I have talked with many of the sheep hunters from the time and they have said that he was a "shady" character who would "nose" into peoples areas. He was nonconfrontation if you found him in the field directly but he would buzz sheep and mess with peoples camps(stealing stuff.)
    I am glad that the hunting organizations took him out of the books.
    I would like people who have anything about him to email me. It is one of the stories that I would like to develop. I always have a pretty good list of different stories but it is interesting. It sure paints sheephunters in the wrong light.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

What a shame!!...Does anyone know where the rams are now?

Speaking of large rams, does anyone know about Gene Effler's 183 1/2 B&C ram that came out of the wrangells? ... was told its displayed somewhere. I would like to see it sometime.

Last I heard was that Gene Effler's ram was on display at the wildlife center on Elmendorf Afb. I can find out if it's still there. I want to see that ram as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Hansen's trophies and effects went with his wife who divorced him and moved back to Idaho.

Roy Effler-the son of Gene who was a guide, pilot and homesteader who lived next to the Kilchners in Homer- lives in Wasilla might be close to you Duckslayer Closer to you guys than others. Swank ram which is the world record is at the Wildlife center at AFB.
    It is still the biggest of all time.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I heard that Efflers Ram ( I believe was 42-43 " length wise) had the Largest Bases and mass ever recorded on a Dall ram, even bigger than Swanks....would like to see it in person. .....thanks for the info. Thomas .....

oops, you are right, I got the two mixed up. Sorry
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    It was taken in the Chugach Mountains in 1971 and scored 163 1⁄8.
    I sure would have though that ram scored higher than that.....

Yeah i read the book years ago...it was a shame how the author correlated that freak shows homicidal acts with being a hunter...

It's my understanding that the whole ideal behind "Book" trophies is that the animal is honored, not the person who took it. That is why road kill/animal kill, pickup etc horns, skulls and antlers are included in the books. Regardless of how the animal expired, it is a true trophy and should be included without a human's name accompanying it.

Wow, I agree what a monster sheep. Gotta be bigger than 163. Looks like that subsistence sheep from the Wrangells a couple of years ago. I am glad they took it out of the books. I bet Thomas's details are the tip of the iceberg. Fair chase? I bet that jackass likely broke every game law in the book getting that ram. Probably took it in February from a snowmachine. No way did anything of his belong in any record book!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I have hunted with a guy who's best buddy had hunted with the Hansen guy. My hunt partner spent some time with guy too, but his buddy had nothing good to say about the guy and his hunting. Lots of illegal stuff went down. Not really what you want to hear when you are stuck out in the middle if no where for the time with a new hunt partner!

There may be someone on here that knows this better than I about Butcher Baker, but through the grapevine one of his rams had a 50" horn. Possibly the biggest ram ever.

There was a poacher/Taxidermist/USFWS informant who took a very large sheep in the Wrangells in the early 1990s. He said that he got it on the Eastern fork of Barnard Glacier. I saw the mounted sheep. It was about 44 inches on one side and darned long on the other. However, the bases were not big. It was probably upper 170s but that one horn was crazy long. It had a similar look to the sheep mounted in Full Curl Archery that was taken by Keith Johnson on Chisana Pass in the 1980s. The poacher who later shot ole One eye said that it was the Greenough Ram. I know it wasn't that sheep. This leads me to believe that he just went in an poached it by snowgo during this time period and put a different cape on it. I asked the trooper in charge of the investigation about it and he never got back to me. I don't know where it went. It is another lost sheep. There are a bunch out there.
    Nellie Lawing shot three sheep on the Kenai that scored more than 180 and only one is known today. I have also heard of another German hunter who took a monster 183 Chugach Ram who packed it up and off to Germany without recording it. There are other stories. I am as I mentioned before interested in Hansen. The guy is a black mark against hunters.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Man you "hardocre' sheephunter are murderes too jesus you guys are definatley a hardcore bunch... So where do the lowa boots come into play when you are disposing of a body?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast