Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOG divorce and sale your biggame?

Thumbs down BOG divorce and sale your biggame?

What is going on?
    I know we should have had a bet going what would be the wildest thing the BOG would come up with.
    Get a divorce and you can sale biggame trophys.Wow.
    First thing I thought of was how could I make some money?
    How bad does it have to get before somebody does something right?
    This is wrong.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TLT View Post
    What is going on?
    I know we should have had a bet going what would be the wildest thing the BOG would come up with.
    Get a divorce and you can sale biggame trophys.Wow.
    First thing I thought of was how could I make some money?
    How bad does it have to get before somebody does something right?
    This is wrong.
    Thoughts?
    That was just a proposal. It wasn't passed by the BOG.

There was a proposal from a woman who'd gotten divorced and ended up with some trophies and that was passed by the Board. There was quite a bit of discussion on it, and in the end the board decided that since we already have laws on the books that allow for the sale of trophies in cases of bankruptcy or when clients of taxidermists fail to pay for their trophy (after a six month period I think), adding one more thing such as in cases of divorce whereby there is a court divorce decree and the trophies were part of a settlement, they could be sold.

Just seems to be no big deal to allow it for legal divorces, doubt it will be something we'll see much of.

There was another proposal to allow sale of big game trophies for all, no conditions would apply, glad that one didn't pass.

Mark, Do you know if the complete results for all props are available?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

as I found out last year It is dang well cheaper to keep her.. lol I thought losing your shirt was bad but your mounts now.... wow.... it really is getting bad .

I am guessing a lot more support will be coming from women for their husbands to go hunting, since now there might be a paycheck for them when it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    There was a proposal from a woman who'd gotten divorced and ended up with some trophies and that was passed by the Board. There was quite a bit of discussion on it, and in the end the board decided that since we already have laws on the books that allow for the sale of trophies in cases of bankruptcy or when clients of taxidermists fail to pay for their trophy (after a six month period I think), adding one more thing such as in cases of divorce whereby there is a court divorce decree and the trophies were part of a settlement, they could be sold.

Just seems to be no big deal to allow it for legal divorces, doubt it will be something we'll see much of.

There was another proposal to allow sale of big game trophies for all, no conditions would apply, glad that one didn't pass.
    Thank you for correcting me. I was mistaken on what I heard. Sorry about any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post
    as I found out last year It is dang well cheaper to keep her.. lol I thought losing your shirt was bad but your mounts now.... wow.... it really is getting bad .
    Just go commercial, it's cheaper in the long run

Thanks for the link Mark.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Glad it's just me and my pup. He loves the hunt, carries his own wieght on the hunt and..... Would never try and take my trophies from me!!!!

Want proof your dog loves you more than your wife/girlfriend.. lock them both in the trunk for and hour and see which one is happy to see you when you come back.

I guess now the new game in town will be for broke hunters to get divorced, sell their trophies, then remarry and go hunting with the profits.... Or, for those single hunters out there, get "married", then divorced and sell the trophies...

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I guess now the new game in town will be for broke hunters to get divorced, sell their trophies, then remarry and go hunting with the profits.... Or, for those single hunters out there, get "married", then divorced and sell the trophies...
    This scheme would only work if the marriage lasted less than 8 years so that community property laws did not apply. Of course child support payments could derail all kinds of plans where money was involved.

From what I have seen over the years, if you live in AK and are truly "broke" you have made some seriously bad choices in your life that no amount of funding from the sale of trophies will help.

I have several Alaskan trophies here in my Ohio home. I was going to sell a moose euro to the highest bidder. I dreamed I was hearing ATVs coming up the driveway, and a Super Cub circling overhead. I woke up in a cold sweat and decided I would keep them.

I am basically against 'hunt to profit' ideologies. At the same time, what I legally acquired is now mine. I disagree with someone telling me I can't sell it. I could trap (kill) for pure enjoyment and sell my trophies legally. Why not a grizzly skull, as long as the supporting paperwork accompanies? From what I can see, not much to prevent an Alaska resident from sending or transporting a legal trophy to the lower 48 and having it sold after it arrives there. If it doesn't sell in Alaska...wasn't transported out illegally...all laws followed...not much could be done by the state of Alaska to stop it. Any federal laws to worry?

IMO - The story doesn't add up. If the trophies couldn't be sold (have no value), what motivated her to keep the trophies in the divorce settlement in the first place?

In more political correct terms - If one spouse ends up with trophies (that the spouse shot)... I don't have the sympathy/empathy for the other spouse to be able to sell them after divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    IMO - The story doesn't add up. If the trophies couldn't be sold (have no value), what motivated her to keep the trophies in the divorce settlement in the first place?

In more political correct terms - If one spouse ends up with trophies (that the spouse shot)... I don't have the sympathy/empathy for the other spouse to be able to sell them after divorce.

In reading through a couple other stories, there was a little more information given behind their decision to allow this. I am in no way an expert on divorce (heck, i've never been married to start with), but I guess that in some cases, the "estate" is divided up in such a way that one party gets the house and furnishings while the other gets either other property and/or a cash settlement. Trophies would likely be considered part of the "furnishings" to go with the house. Personally, I don't see why the person getting the house, if they were not the one who wanted the trophies in the first place, wouldn't just let the other party take them, but as many know, a lot of divorces are not clean and probably end up with both parties trying to take/keep anything they can even if they don't really want it for any other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Personally, I don't see why the person getting the house, if they were not the one who wanted the trophies in the first place, wouldn't just let the other party take them, but as many know, a lot of divorces are not clean and probably end up with both parties trying to take/keep anything they can even if they don't really want it for any other reason.
    Yep. He probably got the sewing machine and china (passed down from her grandmother's side).

I can see it going down something like this....Dad is home in bed with his GF and wife flies in from Seattle a day early to surprise him.
    Both are "surprised". She's madder than he// and gets the best divorce lawyer in town. The only thing he really cares about is the sheep and griz mounts and she knows this. She gets her pound of flesh in the form of taxidermy and he discovers that the beaver pelt wasn't really worth the sheep and griz.

You gotta know the price of the game before the hand is dealt.

I will say I do support this. Not that I feel a man should loose his trophies or a woman hers but I would guess their are situations where one person ended up with trophy mounts after the divorce and needs a way to legally rid her/himself of said trophies. Knowing that they have some value and possibly needing money I can see the sellers motivation.
    So long as this is done in accordance with the law just like in estate sales where court documents from the divorce were required I don't really see the harm.
    I highly doubt you will see a large amount of trophies enter the for sale market each year.
    If this was not allowed what would be the alternative? The person has been divorced so they are unlikely to let the other person have them for free. I would hate to see them end up in the dump.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Boy, do I feel dumb.... I've been writing numerous letters in support of this proposition to the BOG. But now, after reading this thread I guess I might of messed up. I thought the proposal was to 'sell your wife' to 'get the trophies'!! My bad!!!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

How does the spouse of a hunter end up with legal possession of the trophies to begin with? Are they simply left with the spouse because the hunter was forcibly evicted from the home? Does that then legally render ownership to the spouse? Does a judge "give" them to the spouse, even though before this BOG ruling they had no legal monetary value? It all smells rotten to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast