Thread: kayaking from red shirt lake through a portion of fish creek

Default kayaking from red shirt lake through a portion of fish creek

Hello everyone. New guy here. I have a question about kayaking a area of fish creek just south of red shirt lake.
    I live in Florida and have a good pal who owns acreage approximately 2-3 south of red shirt lake only accessible via fish creek. Last year I visited him and we stayed in one of the daily use cabins on red shirt lake. we canoed from the cabin down to the entrance of fishcreek and then down to within a half mile or so of his property before running into a beaver dam. We could have crossed it but were worried that being gone all day we maybe crunched for time. Anyway I am heading back this July to hangout with him for a couple of weeks and he ask if I would be interested in kayaking to his property and spending a 4 or 5 days out there exploring his property, etc.
    So, has anyone ever done this part of fish creek and what can we expect? wildlife? creek conditions? is the fishing any good along this portion of the creek (except for the pike fishing)? etc. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like a fun way to spend your time. I haven't made it to Red Shirt Lake yet. I'm kind of wimpy to be packing the "boats" that far. Did you pack your canoes in to the lake or rent them? Where was your take out point? I've only seen beaver and moose on my trips in the area. The bear boxes at Lynx Lake caused the heart rate to go up, but saw no signs of any.

I shared a flight with a nice lady and she told me her father owned a cabin on Red Shirt Lake. The trout fishing was great when she was young. Some people were excited by the size of the pike when they first started catching them, but then the whole system seemed to crash. Last year some wonderful folks showed me how to spot pike on the Deshka and I better understand how catching them can be fun.

The time crunch. I can relate to that!

last year we rented the canoes from Nancy lake rec center. humping the kayaks in is going to be a trip i'm sure. further into fish creek we got we saw tons of trout. They did have a bear box at the end of the lake access trail that had me worried last year but once we made it out there we had no worries. Thanks for the info.!

Let me know if you figure out an easy way to pack your kayaks. I have an Old Town Otter something. I've done the Nancy Lakes Trail a couple of times and it takes several days for my shoulders to stop hurting. I've tried foam pipe insulation and harder foam from a sitting pad; both were better than nothing but neither worked very well.

Nice to know about the fish. I caught a bunch of small trout in a lake on the west side of the road. The small ones that hit a fly and then fight like they think they should be 10 pounders. I've only had pike hit my stuff on the east side of the road, but haven't tried to fish it much.

Is the creek slow enough for you to paddle back to the lake from your friend's place?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Let me know if you figure out an easy way to pack your kayaks. I have an Old Town Otter something. I've done the Nancy Lakes Trail a couple of times and it takes several days for my shoulders to stop hurting. I've tried foam pipe insulation and harder foam from a sitting pad; both were better than nothing but neither worked very well.

Nice to know about the fish. I caught a bunch of small trout in a lake on the west side of the road. The small ones that hit a fly and then fight like they think they should be 10 pounders. I've only had pike hit my stuff on the east side of the road, but haven't tried to fish it much.

Is the creek slow enough for you to paddle back to the lake from your friend's place?
    Its been awhile since I was on the trail to redshirt, but if I remember right it was a pretty wide path that was fairly easy going. There are several makes of Kayak carts out there that should fit your needs. Just google Kayak cart and start shopping. Id get a cart with balloon type tires for pushing on trails. They will help with going over potholes, tree roots and mud.

yeah the creek is wide enough and slow moving from the lake to his cabin. I was worried about that at first but it was a very gentle current so no problem paddling back. Didn't think about the kayak carts. good idea. I'm sure if we talked to someone at the rec center they would be ok with us locking them up at the lake entrance point at the end of the trail. It was a nice path/trail. a little hilly in spots but no hill for a climber : ) Thanks everyone