Thread: Moose Hunt Booked!

Default Moose Hunt Booked!

Booked a drop camp hunt with Willow Air wanted a float hunt but they were all booked up, we had to book to stay out till the 22nd of Sept. so we will just be camping and fishing the last 2 days since season ends the 20th anyone know how the pike and grayling fishing is on the Innoko river? Also any moose hunting advise would be appreciated.

A little more info would allow people to provide a more relevant response.
    - Are you an AK resident?
    - How many in your party?
    - Ages and approximate physical condition?
    - Have you and your party members hunted moose in AK before?
    - Have you and your party members hunted in Ak before?
    - Are you getting dropped on a river bar, or a ridgetop?

I'd post the fishing part on the fishing forum or float forum

Non residents here, party of 2, age 49 and 47 in pretty good shape for our age, we hunted in 2009 same area was very hot and dry did not see a legal bull, actually only saw one, we are being dropped on a river bar. Hope this helps a little more.

the biggest trick for me with moose hunting is the ability to cover as much ground as possible with your eyes. Meaning get up as high as needed to see as much as you can.Watch edges of timber and brush and look for two sheets of plywood(thats what antlers look like to me in the sun)I have not hunted in the area you are heading but if its like some river bottoms you will need to find a good vantage point as the river is too low to the terrain,i have hunted a lot of flatter areas with patches of trees and swamps in that case I climb a lot of trees to see more area I have even used logging spikes to climb.Also get a video and learn how to do a little calling, its not too difficult, just be patient with it and dont expect them to come running in,sometimes they come in right away other times seems like it takes a day or so. Your transporter should be able to give you all the info you need on the fishing.

Edit:I would ask your transporter to fly you over the area a little so you could see what types of terrain and vantage points are around and maybe mark notable areas on your gps....

The lower Innoko is world class pike fishing.
    You're probably hunting on the upper river, which still has pike, some places, lots of pike. Check any sloughs in your area. Grayling should/may be present; just need to explore a little. Definitely bring pike gear.

Moose - find a hill. Climb the hill. Glass, glass, glass. Do some calling too. Stay on the hill to do it all.

if there is any hills out there.
    worked on the innoko river for a while, loads of pike, big shinny spoons and spinners. top water plugs are fun for them too. bring some small spinners just in case. and dont' forget steel leaders!!
    lots of calling, early early am and late late at night, one or two cow calls around noon or so. but dont' go crazy calling after 10am or before 4pm...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for all the info, what kind of work did you do on the Innoko BRWNBR?

i built wall tent frames for the refuge when i was in high school and went to a 2 week science camp there the following summer.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Piles of brush left by beavers attract loads of fish, burn the edges with a lure and you'll find them. You'll also find several staged at the place where smaller tributaries flow into the river.

I have used the black weedless leaches. They seem to work the best for me. Cast to the bank as close as possible. As for the innoko there are hardly any hills or high points in some areas. So the tree spikes are a great way to go. I brought five last time and realized that eight to ten was a better number. They worked great. Some times calling in the middle of the night has produced some early morning encounters. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lynxx2004 View Post
    Booked a drop camp hunt with Willow Air wanted a float hunt but they were all booked up, we had to book to stay out till the 22nd of Sept. so we will just be camping and fishing the last 2 days since season ends the 20th anyone know how the pike and grayling fishing is on the Innoko river? Also any moose hunting advise would be appreciated.
    How did this hunt go.........?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR