Thread: airstrips not listed by FAA

Default airstrips not listed by FAA

Howdy, anybody have a list of "unlisted" airstrips, or airstrips not recognized by the FAA, for Alaska, preferably with owner contact info?

Why you ask? I support National Science Foundation funded temporary seismic deployments and am fortunate enough to be able to fly to some of the experiments. We occasionally support professors attempting to study the geology/seismology in Alaska and I'd like to learn what the other options are regarding airstrips if I have an opportunity to get up there again. I've seen references on line, on a 99's website for example, that there are over 3000 airstrips in Alaska - yet finding the list is not easy (the 99's chapter I contacted in Alaska did not know where number originated).

I have never seen a list like you are inquiring about. In Alaska there are so many places you can land with a Cub that you should not have any problem placing a grid for your research.

Many years ago, The Territory of Alaska (Department of Aviation, Division of Aeronautics) published a 3-ring, looseleaf notebook (4" x 7") which they called their "Alaska Airport Directory." Strips as small as 400-ft were listed, and there were a zillion of them. I still have a copy of that directory (NO. 613). Revisions were free. As for today, I don't know of any listing of Alaska's many remote (and generally quite small) strips.

I notice, too, that several strips noted on earlier Sectional Charts have recently been deleted. Places like Painter Creek Lodge down on the peninsula near Port Heiden, for instance. If you stumble across a listing, please PM me so that I can pick up on a copy too . . . . .

This FAA site lists a bunch of Alaska air strips: http://www.city-data.com/airports/Alaska.html

I appreciate the input everyone.