Thread: Price of a STOMP grate?

Default Price of a STOMP grate?

What is the going rate for a STOMP grate and the install?

For those of you that have ran with them and without one, is it a worthwhile investment?

Replacement for my stomp grate was $700-$750. Is it worth it.... mine has saved my butt twice in serious situations, and to many times to count for in general running. It does cavitate some in turns, but the benifit out weighs it by a lot. my$.02

Im getting one put on my boat this week. Great Land Wielding for 600

I heard the term before but I do not know exactly what a stomp grate is. Could someone enlighten me?
    Tennessee

SnowWolfe,
    A stomp grate is a hinged grate on the intake of an inboard jet unit. You stomp on a lever and in swings the grate down, clearing the gravel, or whatever junk got sucked up in there. Saves you from having to get under the boat to clear the jet.

I have seen them on outboards too, but I couldn't tell you where to get one.

Smile Compeau's

Compeau's had them a few years ago when I was last in there, I have since looked other places for boat related stuff, so I don't know if they still have them.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Bought our stomp grate thru KEM Equiptment for our Kodiak jet. It was about $800 delivered to the house and I installed it within two hours. A great tool to have. You still need to have a good jet rake along with you regardless, that is your backup in case your grate should break from hitting something and you have to wire it up to get home. I do not recommend obtaining a grate through KEM as you can find them for much cheaper, just make sure it is of quality construction and the stomp rods are stainless steel. Our grate was manufactured in Ketchum, ID.
    For you OB jet owners you could probably find a garden tool at Home Depot that would work and save some $$.
    As a precaution, several years ago I added a pair of small swim goggles to the tool kit just in case I ever have to go swimming to cut a rope or similar item out of the grate. A friend of ours that runs in PWS even brings along a lightweight wet suit along with the goggles. That all transpired after having to go into the drink and remove an anchor line from his prop.
    SeaULater

See Ben at Silver Streak boats he has a patient on one.
    Behind West Marine on Dimond.