Thread: Just a little warning about XD pistols and Alaska Sportsman holsters

Default Just a little warning about XD pistols and Alaska Sportsman holsters

This is not a dig against the holster. I happen to love the holster, but it does have one issue and I can't believe I haven't figured this out yet.

On the XD and XDm series of pistols there is a grip safety. This is a necessary design since unlike other striker fired pistols the XD line cocks the striker on recoil and keeps it in tension until the trigger is pulled. The striker is blocked by the grip safety and you have the added safety on the trigger. A Glock actually pulls the striker back on the trigger stroke and releases it. Therefore a Glock striker is at rest until the trigger is pulled back. I really have no comments on which is better because I like them both.

The problem with the holster lies in the fact that it's retention strap compresses the grip safety and that leaves very little holding the seer in place. Since I wear the holster in pretty aggressive uses such as ATV riding and snowmachining it has become a real concern.

Just something to watch out for on XD pistols and 1911's with grip safeties. On a side note, I wrecked my wheeler a couple years ago with this holster and pistol with no ill effects..at 40mph. Still not a good practice and I will be looking for a solution.

Doug, I've had issues with thw Alaskan Sportsman chest holster too. My beef is that the speedloader pouches on the newer ones(revolver) are too shallow and I've had loaders fall out. I've been looking into this;http://www.voodootactical.net/p-704-...-platform.aspx as a solution. This way I can place my holster and loaders where I want.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Unfortunately, DiamondD also places the retention strap in the same place. I am going to email them and see if they will place the strap across the back of the slide for me. I am also thinking of unstitching my Sportsman holster and moving the strap on it. Right now I am just packing the pistol without one in the chamber since I figure I'll have a couple seconds to figure out what to do before a moose stomps me.

That tactical vest looks pretty cool too. I'd just have to come up with a good holster to fit on it.

Frost Modular Systems LLC here in Anchorage can make you a molle compatible holster system for that carrier or any molle system. I have been using a FMS holster for about a year now, CCW and OTW beach/tundra ATV cruzing on hunting/work trips all over AK. Joe makes a very durable piece of kit and I opted for the custom work option for my RDS equipt FN Military pics are on his web sight.

[QUOTE=AKDoug;1093653]Unfortunately, DiamondD also places the retention strap in the same place. I am going to email them and see if they will place the strap across the back of the slide for me. I am also thinking of unstitching my Sportsman holster and moving the strap on it.

Hey guys,

I own a full-size Springfield XDM .45, so I noticed the thread.

I just bought the DiamondD Guides Choice chest holster in November 2011. The retaining strap runs behind the slide, NOT the grip, so there is no issue with defeating the grip safety. I just now ran upstairs and double-checked, so I'm sure. Maybe you're referring to a different DiamondD holster? Or an older version?

BTW, this chest holster is REALLY nice. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. The craftmanship is outstanding.

A great holster to go with a great gun.

Have a great day.

Kauffman, thanks for the info. I made the mistake of just looking at the pics on the website, not contacting them. My bad.

EBG- Thanks for the info on Frost.

Yea Daveís holsters are made for each gun model, there is even a warning in the package saying using a holster for another model could defeat the safeties so donít do it.

He knows what he is doing and makes dang good stuff! I have done leather work all my life and still buy Daveís stuff . . . itís that well made and you got to buy leather by the truck load to get the quality leather he uses. Worth every dime he charges in my book.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Good thread, its probably a great reminder to leave an empty chamber 99percent of the time no matter what kind of gun we are carrying. If you don't have enough time to jack a round in it, it likely won't matter much anyway and the odds of accidental discharge are much higher then an emergency need scenario...
    Man AKDoug, wrecking a 4 wheeler at 40mph you are very lucky, I rolled one at about 20mph once and that was enough to slow me waaaay down - ouch!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have been trying to find a holster I liked for... well since I started shooting. After a ton of research I ended up going with Crossbreed Holsters and now have one for my XD .40 and for my CZ 2075 RAMI. I love these holsters, they took awhile because they custom make them but it was well worth the wait.

one in the pipe isnt a good thing unless your ready to fire.
    Semper Fi!