Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a partner for Kodiak in April

Default Looking for a partner for Kodiak in April

Hi all Im bound and determined to use my Kodiak tag this April. Everyone that has shown interest has now backed out on me. So with a little over a month to go before I'm wanting to head down to Kodiak Im asking everyone here on the forum if anyone is interested in going down for a spring bear hunt. The tag I drew is for Uganik Island. I'm thinking of heading down apprx 4/20 but am open a little on either end if those dates don't quite work. If you are interested please PM me and I can answer any other questions. Also, if anyone else has this tag please PM me
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Roughly what would the dollar cost be to someone who went with you.......? And take good care of that cannon. You should be able to find out who else has a permit and make contact. Good hunting.

All I really ask is to get to Kodiak. I can pick up the rest. Some help with food and such would be helpful
    I believe a ticket right now is about $300-$400
    Just got done shooting it a couple hours ago. I really like that gun! Thank you!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post

Just got done shooting it a couple hours ago. I really like that gun! Thank you!!
    You should, you thief........you stole it from a very nice OLD man.

I tried to PM you but it seems that you dont have that function...Are you interested in going for a nice spring hunt??

Dang! Would love to go and check out the area. I have a goat tag for Uganik this fall. Using my leave for that. Good luck..

MJM,

Have you tried contacting the others that have a tag in the same area?

Randy

I tried to PM you but it seems that you dont have that function...Are you interested in going for a nice spring hunt??
    Yes, I want to go. (I can't believe I just said that) I'll send you my E-Mail address.

With all the snow this year are you sure you want go April 20th? Talk to the biologist but the majority of the bears harvested in the spring on Kodiak are killed during the last two weeks of the season.

This is true. I was there on the 20th of April two years ago, only 17 had been killed by that time..Larry Van Deale told me and my buddy that 90 percent of them will come in the last two weeks of the season. Unless this is all you have for time, go for it. Hunt hard and stay at it. I did see a huge difference in the snow melting the last 4 days we were there..but you can never tell. From the pictures I have seen of Kodiak this year..looks like the later you can go the better.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    With all the snow this year are you sure you want go April 20th? Talk to the biologist but the majority of the bears harvested in the spring on Kodiak are killed during the last two weeks of the season.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

That is the million dollar question lol "when will the bears be out" I'm not so sure it has to do with the amount of snow but how warm the days will be. I'm no bear expert, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can chime in

If you have not contacted Larry yet on Kodiak. I suggest getting in touch with him. He provided us with a ton of information, and seemed to be on the up and up even before I got to shake his hand. He is a top notch biologist and really cares about the species and the hunters pursuing them. Sounds like a great hunt..

That is the million dollar question lol "when will the bears be out" I'm not so sure it has to do with the amount of snow but how warm the days will be. I'm no bear expert, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can chime in
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

+1 on later in the season, especially in light of the tough winter we have had hear in Kodiak I guess you never know could be warm spring be we on track to set a record snow fall this year and it has been cold to boot. As suggested earlier you should definetley touch base with Larry he is a super guy, I drew Aliulik Peninsula and was just talk with him today and he is always will to help. I would target first of May or so... Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    If you have not contacted Larry yet on Kodiak. I suggest getting in touch with him. He provided us with a ton of information, and seemed to be on the up and up even before I got to shake his hand. He is a top notch biologist and really cares about the species and the hunters pursuing them. Sounds like a great hunt..
    Thanks everyone! I have not yet called Larry but it is certainly on my list of things to do in the next week or so

mjm316,

You may also want to contact the guide who has the area. When I drew my tag in 2010 the biologist as well as the guide were great sources for information. The guide also let me know where he will be guiding his clients so that we can be out of each others' hair.

Regards,

yhc

I also think "later" (May) will be better this year.. I'm jealous if AGL is going with you. I would love to share a campfire with him and hear some stories.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I also think "later" (May) will be better this year.. I'm jealous if AGL is going with you. I would love to share a campfire with him and hear some stories.
    Well that is the plan! I'm hoping to meet up with him this weekend in beautiful Hope and go over some plans and maps. I'm excited to say the least!!

We're going last week in april/first week in may. Due to my work schedule, only time we can do it. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
    We're going last week in april/first week in may. Due to my work schedule, only time we can do it. Fingers crossed.
    What area did you get drawn for?
    Best of luck to you!

What area did you get drawn for?
    Best of luck to you!
    Wild Creek.

Well, actually, I got drawn for Sharatin Bay and Husband got drawn for Wild Creek in the same year... silly odds. The way things worked out we can only hunt the one and opted for Wild Creek for a few reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast