Thread: april fishing in juneau?

Default april fishing in juneau?

i will be in juneau the 22nd thru 28th of april and want to take a fishing charter out while i'm there. is there anyone going out then? i was interested in halibut. i'ver never been to jueau before, is there anything else i should be taking advantage of? thanx in advance for any help.

Hi Holly!

I can only think of one charter that's in the water and ready to go this early in Juneau...

As for the fishing, there are a few kings running around...deep. I've seen a few caught off the rocks and from private boats lately. Halibut fishing will take a longer charter as we've got to run quite a ways to find fish this early. Be prepared for a full day charter.

Also, the chances of finding someone to share a trip with are slim, so don't be sticker-shocked at the private charter rates you'll be quoted. Then again, anyone who does have their boat in the water is probably pretty willing to bargain this time of year too. It's definitely what I'd call "off peak" for at least another 6 - 8 weeks.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hopefully the lakes will be open by then and I'll be fishing for cutthroats
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    hopefully the lakes will be open by then and I'll be fishing for cutthroats
    Bring your snow-shoes if you're hiking in anywhere... Snowmobiles are still in full effect, and anything wooded and shaded still has at least 3' of snow laying around. All of the lakes I can see from the roads are still covered, but too scary to venture out on.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Bring your snow-shoes if you're hiking in anywhere... Snowmobiles are still in full effect, and anything wooded and shaded still has at least 3' of snow laying around. All of the lakes I can see from the roads are still covered, but too scary to venture out on.

-Case
    FYi I live here in Juneau and I got skis
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default 4 of us

there are actually 4 of us wanting to book a charter. we'll leave our snowshoes here in fairbanks. is winter king a better bet than halibut? rockfish? we all just want to go out and fish for a day. get back to me with that charter when you get a chance and hopefully we can get fishing.