Thread: Puritan Creek or Boulder Creek

Default Puritan Creek or Boulder Creek

Looking for some Spring Bear hunting areas that might produce good results. I have tried baiting and I much rather glass and stalk. How is Puritan Creek or Boulder Creek, Area 13A I think it is. Interested in this area for the ability to glass some and stalk lots. Any info would be great. I plan on early spring hikes in to check it out but more info is always good. Thanks
    B

Are you looking for black or grizzly bear as a primary target? Both are present in those drainages, though that might affect the kind of advice you get. Also, what is your intended means of access?

Was simply checking to see if people had gone in Spring bear hunting in the area. I plan on heading in to make my own judgement but curious if anyone headed in there blackie or brown bear hunting. Didnt find your site too helpful but will check around. Thanks 323.

Planning to head in blackie hunting but will definently take a good grizz if we run into one. We plan on snowshoeing or skiing in but never been there before so we may have to wait for the snow to melt. Just feeling the area out and seeing if anyone is willing to share their experience. Didn't think I would get too many replies but good to know they are both there. Thanks Brian.

blofgren go ahead and ask your questions,I wish I could help you out but I do not have any personal experience in that area.Dont let the opinion of the ignorant, dissuade you from seeking advice...there are more helpfull people on here then not

As Bear mentioned, there are loads of helpful people on here. It generally helps to be as specific as possible with your questions and you'll find that you get better responses when you flesh out your ideas a bit more. I've never bear hunted in those drainages, but there are certainly bears in those mountains. Getting in there when the snow is rotten is the perfect time for spring grizzly - it's just a miserable time to be snowshoeing. If you travel early in the morning or late at night, you'll likely be fine. It's a nice time to try, as that window between when snowmachines can't get in there and before ATVs can will afford you a bit of solitude in valleys that otherwise see their fair share of traffic.

Good luck to you!

I haven't hunted in that area for a number of years, but used to be in there quite a bit. I ran into more grizzlies in there by far than black bears. There are lots of places with more black bear than I used to see in there. Easy to access and therefore lots of people, but even when that wasn't the case, there were still more grizzlies.

I personally would not count on a window between snowmachiners and atvers to find solitude in a place like that (especially Boulder). If you are snowshoeing or skiing, and don't want to be totally frustrated, best to find a non-motorized area. Not trying to challenge any of the great "experts" here, just lost of experience in that area.

ya boulder is a POPULAR for snowmachiners. a walk in area i think would be a much better bet.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya boulder is a POPULAR for snowmachiners. a walk in area i think would be a much better bet.
    In Unit 13 aren't all the controlled use areas open to snomachiners during the spring bear hunting prime time?

I would say yes, as long as your not hunting, you can drive in with a truck, car or atv to look around you just can't hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I would say yes, as long as your not hunting, you can drive in with a truck, car or atv to look around you just can't hunt.
    Not true, at least not in some of the areas. You're allowed to use snowmachines in the Clearwater CUA for the spring hunting season, just not in the fall.

love it! There's a couple threads you missed posting it on though