Thread: Skilak lake (Becareful)

Default Skilak lake (Becareful)

Took the wife and daughter ice fishing yesterday. We had got everything setup, and the wife being a die hard photographer took off towards the Swans. I told her not to go to far because the ice is thin out there and we were in 20ft of water (you could see where the ice shelf changes thickness).There was another 75 yards to open water. I'am tying on a lure and I hear a splash! I look up and she is pulling herself out of the water!!! Talk about being a scared husband!! our daughter was a ft away and didn't go in!(thankfully!) she was in a little bit of shock mumbling about how she ruined her camera and. I told her to strip down. I set up the Eskimo popup and turned the big buddy on high. She warmed up and and clothes dried out. We stayed the rest of the day to complete a great day! Thankful for us returning safe.

Realizations
    1. When it goes wrong it goes wrong fast.
    2. God was looking over her.
    3. Always have a safety plan and make sure everyone knows it, How to implement it.
    4. I should have used different wording with her after she fell in.
    5 The Big Buddy heater and Eskimo popup was a really good investment!!!!!

P.S. We caught 2 fish a Rainbow and Whitefish

Wow, thanks for sharing. Glad everything went well, thanks scary...

Glad all was good in the end.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

So, now that makes two people falling through the ice in as many weeks. Member that fella that fell through Kenia Lake just recently? I always wondered about the size of the cahones those fellas must have out there when I see how close their huts are to the open water... I can't imagine the fishing being worth it... Please ya'll, just try to be as safe as possible out on the ice... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by s_wright121 View Post
    Took the wife and daughter ice fishing yesterday. We had got everything setup, and the wife being a die hard photographer took off towards the Swans. I told her not to go to far because the ice is thin out there and we were in 20ft of water (you could see where the ice shelf changes thickness).There was another 75 yards to open water. I'am tying on a lure and I hear a splash! I look up and she is pulling herself out of the water!!! Talk about being a scared husband!! our daughter was a ft away and didn't go in!(thankfully!) she was in a little bit of shock mumbling about how she ruined her camera and. I told her to strip down. I set up the Eskimo popup and turned the big buddy on high. She warmed up and and clothes dried out. We stayed the rest of the day to complete a great day! Thankful for us returning safe.

Realizations
    1. When it goes wrong it goes wrong fast.
    2. God was looking over her.
    3. Always have a safety plan and make sure everyone knows it, How to implement it.
    4. I should have used different wording with her after she fell in.
    5 The Big Buddy heater and Eskimo popup was a really good investment!!!!!

P.S. We caught 2 fish a Rainbow and Whitefish
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

What time on saturday did she fall in? I was out there in the quickfish6 next to you I think. We never heard any yelling or extra commotion.

Man...!!!....glad she, AND your daughter made it out all right.......

We got there, I drilled the holes put 2 rods in and then... splash! first 15 minutes we were there she went in. no yelling or nothing. I had a few choice words with her( I wished I had rephrased my wording) my army days came out for a second or 2. Started going through the shock and hypothermia steps. I had to make a quick run back to the truck for extra boots and gloves.
    All in all.
    She learned a very valuable lesson.
    $2000 Nikon camera does not work after being submerged.
    Maia got a great training lesson on a ice water victim.

Quote Originally Posted by cschmunk37 View Post
    What time on saturday did she fall in? I was out there in the quickfish6 next to you I think. We never heard any yelling or extra commotion.

Quote Originally Posted by s_wright121 View Post
    We got there, I drilled the holes put 2 rods in and then... splash! first 15 minutes we were there she went in. no yelling or nothing. I had a few choice words with her( I wished I had rephrased my wording) my army days came out for a second or 2. Started going through the shock and hypothermia steps. I had to make a quick run back to the truck for extra boots and gloves.
    All in all.
    She learned a very valuable lesson.
    $2000 Nikon camera does not work after being submerged.
    Maia got a great training lesson on a ice water victim.
    Do you remember the couple last year that hit overflow on Tustumena? I think they lost their snowmachine, both were soaking wet, but they were lucky enough to make it to shore and to a cabin where they got warmed up. Pretty scary for sure.

Ok yea, I was out there. I heard you say that you dropped a boot. Then saw you head about half way back across the lake to get it. I had a buddy last year put a snowmachine through the ice at night in Skilak. Its a scary thing to go through. Glad she wasn't injured or worse. On a brighter side at least you did better fishing than us. We got skunked on saturday. Only caught 3 small rainbows on friday.