Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Such a Good Picture, for the Blacktails

Default Not Such a Good Picture, for the Blacktails

Having lived in Kodiak since the early eighties,...I have Never Seen anything near this,
    for just behind and above Kodiak city, the Pillar Mtn road

thought I'd see if I can post this pic,....just for the Deer Hunt planners

was posted on facebook by a friend of mine,
    taken by Officer De La Fuente, of the Kodiak Police Dept
    just yesterday

Ouch,....or is it Brrrrrr,...??

I have been watching the weather down low tho, and has been a fair amount of somewhat warmer rain, etc.
    so, maybe they're doing Ok,...??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Yeah... It's a cold one this year!

Yeah, I was out at narrow cape yesterday and we saw seven winter kill deer and a big dead buffalo on the beach... Been a tough, long, cold and snowy winter. I was down in Olga in November and it was below zero, blowing 70 and tons of snow we would see 40+deer everyday in the narrows and they would hardly move up the mountain even with pressure. That was four months ago, fingers crossed.

I hope it won't affect them too badly. I am planning a Kodiak deer hunt for this fall right now.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Man, that is bad news for wildlife of all sizes I reckon!
    I think that road needs some one way signs! Yikes...
    Hit 66 here in IL today - planted a little garden and shot some boolits! Muddy here... We
    only had a cpl very small snows that lasted a cpl days at most - really mild compared to last year...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thinking about it, I have seen quite few natural kills (cold) this year. I also have not seen many next to the road after Jan. Coupled with the logging trucks slaughter (they had ten+ deer days according to one of the troopers) it might be a rough year for them.

And I was so hoping that you guy's were getting rain down there. Oh well, I guess all the wishful thinking didn't help much. Looks like AK is the only state in the US to get snow this year. We got ours + all of the lower 48's.

pretty sure its gonna be bad..maybe not as bad as '98 but its gonna be noticable. still the big bucks will probably be the ones that make it, last years fawns will be few and far between though...won't have to wade thru all the little forkies to find big deer...just won't find as many deer.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

They're predicting a snowy April too! Can always re-stock Kodiak with POW stock...
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

There's no deer on POW ;-) I think we're losing some too.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

no way would they restock (unless it was ALL the deer that died)...to much money to pull that off. they'll just cut bag limits and let it ride itself out, like they have in the past.
    Master guide 212

Default logging truck slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    Thinking about it, I have seen quite few natural kills (cold) this year. I also have not seen many next to the road after Jan. Coupled with the logging trucks slaughter (they had ten+ deer days according to one of the troopers) it might be a rough year for them.
    RE: logging truck slaughter -- What are you referring to?

When we got the first real cold snap with snow it pushed the deer low. Directly onto or next to the roads. With Chiniak being logged they had a big problem with the truckers hitting deer. There were days (more than one or two) that they would hit ten plus deer. Can't say i blame them entirely. I would much rather run over a deer than end up on the side of the road in a ravine (which happened to one or two truckers.) Now, all of this is hearsay as far as numbers go (don't work for ADFG so I never counted), but there were plenty of times on my way to pasagshak I saw more than a few fresh kills.

ya they really got a pile of roads out there now, from the air that place is tore up!!
    Master guide 212

I wonder how the non-road areas are faring???
    I got a hunt planned for Deadman's Bay in November... here's hoping they doing okay. sure would be a rough trip otherwise.

Chris

Nope, deer for deer like a supermarket shelf.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I wonder how the non-road areas are faring???
    I got a hunt planned for Deadman's Bay in November... here's hoping they doing okay. sure would be a rough trip otherwise.

Chris
    Akgun, I was in that general area last year in November and there were deer everywhere but a ton of snow at it was cold minus zero and windy. I am sure that the deer will take a hit but, I am also sure you will have a successful trip. FYI, we had way more bear issues last year than ever before. I am not sure if it was because of the large snow fall or not but there was dramatically more bear around and had attitude.

So,...I wonder how the Mt. Goats do with heavy snow like that?

Seems they might just hunker down and are actually designed for serious snow ??

I should mention also, that photo is almost surely a wind drift area,...it's all bare tundra up there, so it's probably not accurate to portray all of Kodiak looking that deep
    was kind of assuming most of you would figure that

Tho, I'm not there to go up and look, but they have had a few thaws throughout the winter also
    Right? Kodiakers?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Jake are you heading over this spring for bears? If so give us a reoprt when you return or anyone else heading over for a bear hunt this April/ May. I remember 98. Lots of winter killed deer.

I would think the goats would fair a bit better than the deer.

Checking out a few of the webcams... its does look so bad. Id say as long as the deer don't get stuck up too high they'll be ok.

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast