Thread: 270 Goat Load...???

Default 270 Goat Load...???

I am bound and determine to leave the cannon at home and take the the Browning A-Bolt stainless/synth up the mountain to try and kill a goat with. I'm about ready to start working on a load. I believe I've narrowed the slug to either the Nosler Accubond or the Barnes TTSX. It seems that the 140 grain is pretty popular? I have a lot of H4831 I'd like to use as well. I have done very little reloading over the last 15 years so am not up on all the latest. Would love to hear the thoughts of the pros....Thanks much...!!!

4mer for what its worth based on years of hunting and seeing bullet performance I think the barnes is a better bullet,I have used nosslers but seems to me that the barnes hold and retain weight better..But to me it all boils down to which ones your gun will like better as they will both do the job..

I am leaning that direction, as from what input I've gotten, is being that the 270 is as fast as it is, you want the slug to stay together on impact. The Barnes seems to have more of the advantage there, even tho the Accubond seems to have a better BC.

Goats are narrow and tall if you use TSX I would try and hit bone. Accubond would open up faster. IMHO

That's the idea for sure. As one of the guys said, if you can shoot down on him from above, a shot between the shoulders should be a good one.

I have purchased only one box of Accubond and swore I would never use them again. I shot a deer in the white throat patch at 25 yards with my 338 and the head was severed from the body! I was picking pieces of bullet from all the way down the back even into the hindquarters. I have made the same shot dead center of spine on other deer with partitions in 338 or even 150 grn. fusions from my 270, and never the complete bullet disintegration like that. The one little billy I have managed to knock over was shot with the fusion 150 grn/270 combo. I don't care for the fusions per se but the rifle loves them so we coexist. For the 270 any good 140 to 150 grn bullet would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    I have purchased only one box of Accubond and swore I would never use them again. I shot a deer in the white throat patch at 25 yards with my 338 and the head was severed from the body! I was picking pieces of bullet from all the way down the back even into the hindquarters. I have made the same shot dead center of spine on other deer with partitions in 338 or even 150 grn. fusions from my 270, and never the complete bullet disintegration like that. The one little billy I have managed to knock over was shot with the fusion 150 grn/270 combo. I don't care for the fusions per se but the rifle loves them so we coexist. For the 270 any good 140 to 150 grn bullet would be my choice.
    So you mainly went with the 150s because your rifle like them? Which is a great reason for sure. I just can't decide on the 140s or 50s either. If I ever go sheep hunting again they are easier to kill so the 140s or even 30s would be fine. I just would like to find the best all around size, dial them in and be done with it.

either will work well but in this application, I would shoot the Barnes, for what that is worth. Best wishes. J.

I've had just as good of luck with Accubonds as I have Barnes and think both would be equally effective on goat. I shot my goat two years ago with an Accubond but I was also shooting a significantly larger caliber, 325wsm. With the smaller caliber I think I would lean towards a bullet with a little quicker expansion so you are maximizing the hydrostatic shock. I've seen a 150gr .270 bullet zip right through a young billy.

Here's a few 225gr TSX I've recovered from my 338wm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I read this thread... this is what I immediatley thought of.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...e-AOD-question

Err, I guess that made more sense in my head. Yes I shoot the 150's because the rifle likes them-I feel that is more important than my prejudice against the bullets. Also, I would never spend money on accubonds because of bad experiences with them. So any theoretical advantage in BC wouldn't matter to me. This is just my experience, I'm sure plenty of people like them I just couldn't get them to stay together. (and thats only at 2800 fps, not real screamer territory)

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    Err, I guess that made more sense in my head. Yes I shoot the 150's because the rifle likes them-I feel that is more important than my prejudice against the bullets. Also, I would never spend money on accubonds because of bad experiences with them. So any theoretical advantage in BC wouldn't matter to me. This is just my experience, I'm sure plenty of people like them I just couldn't get them to stay together. (and thats only at 2800 fps, not real screamer territory)
    Well not staying together is a big one that's for sure. Especially when it comes to shot placement on a goat....I'm probably going for some bone.

i wouldn't hesitate with any partition, A frame, X bullet, Accubond, siracco (sp), bear claw. anything with a partition in it i'd use. i'd steer clear of core lock, game king, anything with no partition' i'd never use.

its highly doubtfull that your choice of accubond or X is going to make or break your goat hunt. seen goats shot with .270's before and see grizz shot with them too...stick with heavy for the caliber bullets and something with a partition in it. some fragmentation inside the animal only causes more damage, your not loosing performance persay.

and as long as you recovered a "failed" bullet from a dead animal....?!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think either of your choices would be effective, and would go with whatever the rifle likes better. I've been using Accubond's for the last few years with great results. My 270 loves the 140g Winchester Supremes, and the 6 deer and 2 caribou they put in my freezer never got a chance to complain about 'em. I can't say that about the 150g Core Lokt I used on my sheep.

Isn't the Fusion a bonded bullet, like the Accubond, Scirocco, and Bear Claw?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

ya your right rod, i've been impressed with the scirocco with the heavier jacket near the bottom, and i've recovered some nice accubonds outa grizz. never seen a good game king or cor lokt though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I've only killed one goat so I am by no means an expert, but I did it with a Bear Claw. One shot. Downhill, quartering away, a shade under 200 yards. Bullet entered at the back of the ribcage and lodged under the skin in the off side armpit. The bullet looked like one of those magazine ads--perfect mushroom. I lost it a few hours later on the hike out so I never had it weighed but from the looks and heft, it had to be in the high 80% to 90% weight retention range. Very well built bullet.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

killed two billies with my .270 in 2011.....it is all about placement and bullet. 150 grain supremes for me....love the caliber!
    Proud to be an American!

My vote is the 130ttsx out of a 270.

My vote would have to be the Winchester 150gr XP3 bullet in the supreme elite line.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman from Vegas View Post
    My vote is the 130ttsx out of a 270.

Don't you have another posting on here asking about people's experience with that ammo? (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...x-factory-ammo)

What are you, a Barnes plant on this site?
    NRA Life Member since 1974