Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reciever Hitch (broken)

Default Reciever Hitch (broken)

So, I drug the boat to homer for a couple days of snowy winter king fishing. When I got home and unhooked the trailer, I had the hitch break off in my hand. Glad I made it home. I think one more bump and it would have been dragging on the chains.

What do you guys use for a reciever hitch? I've been looking at the B&W hitches since they are adjustable. Any thoughts?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Wow, you are a lucky man. That was a close one!

Robbentler... I'd say that the fishin gods were watchin out for you buddy. That is way to close for comfort... I happened noticed that my hitch is starting to bend so I got an new one for this year. I'm not taking any chances. Especially after seeing your post. Dam glad I got an new one... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Wow, thank goodness you made it off the road before she gave way. I wonder if the continous saltwater dunking or just a heavy load repeatedly flexing it at the elbow stressed it enough to snap? It does look a little rusty....
    Be safe!
    BK

I have wondered about those deep bend hitches for years because they always seemed as though they would be prone to metal fatigue. My fears are now confirmed.
    I think if you have to drop down from your receiver more than an inch or two, an adjustable hitch is the way to go.

That looks like a clean break, was there a weld there? Could the temp have been a factor here? I see the size boat what was the hitch rated for? I sume you had chains on.
    Well welcome home safe and sound.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Wow, you are a lucky man. That was a close one!
    x2!!

There are many of those designs in use here as the launch ramps vary so wildly around the State. How long you had that one? And as others noted, a clean break tells me that the metal selected wasn't the correct alloy as it resembles those of the cheaper farm tractor attachments I break from time to time.

Oh I have had nightmares that were not as scarey as that photo. Glad to see you made it home safe. I have a hitch that looks exactly like that, but its not used very often, mostly its on the back of my truck to deflect hondas, time to take a good look at it.

If it were me I would be looking at an adjustable drop style hitch from a reputable company. I would also oversize it, the hitch I have for my boat (about 10-12K lbs of boat and trailer) is rated at 20K as is the coupler on the boat.

On a side note, How was the fishing? How was the road down to Homer?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I think right now would be a good time for you to buy a lottery ticket, and fill out a bunch of gueesses on the Tanana ice classic

Need to send that photo to the company name stamped on the hitch, Might get an upgrade for free Glad you made it back .I had the entire receiver bust off the frame on our move up here that was not fun
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Geeze, Rob, I really do want to meet up with you this summer...amazing I may still get to do that! Reminds me of the time I was riding in my little brother's Corvair on the new freeway behind the house doing 80, and we pulled down the off ramp and when we stopped the entire right wheel and suspension came off and the car flopped to the ground!

That looks like a 3500 lb. drawbar, maybe. You are towing between 4-5,000 lbs. You should get a drawbar rated to at least double that, say 10K lbs. and be fine (right on JR!). Put a 1" shaft heavy-duty ball on it too. Both should be the expensive ones, not the WM stuff. That metal at the break doesn't even look like forged steel, it looks almost cast...I've never used an adjustable draw bar, but anything with adjustments would, IMO, have weak points that a solid drawbar would not.

Your experience and Roger's above make it a good idea to check your entire hitch system...the receiver could be made poorly too. Even if the safety chains work to keep the trailer from digging into the ground, they don't help if the entire hitch fails...and if you are at highway speeds, I've seen some pictures of jacknifed boats and bad wrecks when the drawbar or ball broke.

Glad you are safe...and stay that way!

Something like this ought to work for you..

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45900.html

Rated at 14K, not cheap.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sorry I didn't get back so fast. Night shift worker/day sleeper. That was a hitch I've used for a couple years towing my last boat. 2 5/16" ball with 1" shank. The rust on it (looked) to be just surface spots. There wasn't any rust inside the break, but one little line about half way across looks to be some sort of weak spot. I was speakless when it fell off after unhooking the coupler. Buying an ice classic ticket is a great idea....

JR2, I was researching hitches last night and found that one to be the highest rated adjustable around. I think I'm gonna go with that one. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on it.

Yeah, I had my safety chains hooked to the truck and my surge brake safety chain hooked up too, but all I could imagine was that big boat and trailer winch upright slamming into my truck as I'd try to stop.

The fishing in Homer was very slow due to a big storm in the Gulf I guess. We had huge rollers that kept us close inside and behind some islands. The roads and ramp were great though. No ice anywhere at all. But gas and diesel is getting out of control in Homer. $4.87/diesel and gas was close behind.
    MMSI# 338232859

Good idea to check your truck's reciever. My 2006 F-350 had a Class III reciever on a truck that was rated at 17,000 lbs which is what the dealer assured me it was good for. I swapped it for a Class V rated at 16,000 lbs before towing my boat. Same thing for the ball mount like Rob's failed mount. Nothing like the fine print for an insurance company to back out of any payment if you have a problem and the reciever wasn't rated for it.

I have a picture I can't figure out how to post, but it is of a 2" rise broken in exactly the same spot.

I just purchased the same hitch that JR2 showed me http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45900.html Got it on Amazon for $124.80. Did some research on it and found that the who shaft is solid steel and not hollow. Plus it's the highest rated towing capacity of all the other adjustable hitches. Now I'm thinking about upgrading my truck reciever too.
    MMSI# 338232859

It looks like that was a formed, or bent receiver hitch stinger, whenever you bend metal it weakens it, like a cloths hanger, just bend it back and forth and it will brake. A gusset welded to a formed piece would be much better. I put a 2-1/2" receiver on my 2500HD, and I tow a 17,500 pound boat, but my choice of tow rigs is my C4500, It feels a lot safer with that much behind me. Get a stinger that is rated for at least 1-1/2 times your load. 2 times if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Sorry I didn't get back so fast. Night shift worker/day sleeper. That was a hitch I've used for a couple years towing my last boat. 2 5/16" ball with 1" shank. The rust on it (looked) to be just surface spots. There wasn't any rust inside the break, but one little line about half way across looks to be some sort of weak spot. I was speakless when it fell off after unhooking the coupler. Buying an ice classic ticket is a great idea....

JR2, I was researching hitches last night and found that one to be the highest rated adjustable around. I think I'm gonna go with that one. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on it.

Yeah, I had my safety chains hooked to the truck and my surge brake safety chain hooked up too, but all I could imagine was that big boat and trailer winch upright slamming into my truck as I'd try to stop.

The fishing in Homer was very slow due to a big storm in the Gulf I guess. We had huge rollers that kept us close inside and behind some islands. The roads and ramp were great though. No ice anywhere at all. But gas and diesel is getting out of control in Homer. $4.87/diesel and gas was close behind.
    Glad you guys made it back okay and you are one lucky man to have it happen after the trip rather than during. I check over my rig everytime before towing to make sure she's hooked up good and everything appears right. Problem is you just never know when's something doing to give. I have a hitch just like that but only a 2 inch drop. It's only rated for 5K pounds. I use to pull our small boat around with it but once I got into these bigger ocean boats I bought something much more robust. I now have a one piece aluminum hitch rated for 14K pounds and the ball rated for 16K pounds. In your case it wasn't the receiver that failed but the hitch insert. Good reminder to make sure you check the ratings on everything, receiver, hitch, ball, etc.

Glad you made it back okay and if you're at the derby next weekend I hope to see you on the water.

PatrickL, Good luck in the derby. I don't think I want to fight that crowd. I'm gonna sit this one out.
    MMSI# 338232859

I agree w/ gerberman about cold forming of steel hitches, and adding welded gussets on the outside of the bend. In fabrication in industry I've seen this same thing with "cold" bends .I feel that a lot of them are offshore imports, and who can guess what "bed springs" and other scrap are in this metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast