Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 375 H&H Loads for black bear and Griz/Brownies and Goat...

Dude seriously, the Barnes 270 grain TSX is all you need. "I've ask everything I've shot with this round. On a scale from
    1 to 10. Ten being the worst pain ever; causing death. What would you rate your experience"? I've never gotten a response. Bottom line this bullet kills... I'm sure you can find a pie-chart out there that proves this. Enjoy

Put me down as another fan of the 270gr TSX. I use the Hornady 270gr SP's as less expensive range fodder, and fling the TSX when the chips are down.

Used 300 grain TSXs on my last bear hunt, but after seeing the damage caused by Accubonds, I would hunts bears with them. Worked on my Sako 375H&H Kodiak 260 grain Accubond load. Seated them out as far as the box would allow.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

I think any of the 235, 250 or 270 grain Barnes X bullets will do the job on any North American critter. I have only heard good things about the 270 grain Barnes X and Reloader 15. I think that powder is used by the military for their 7.62 Nato round and that it is supposed to be one of the powders that is not as sensitive to temperature changes. I think they also tried the 270 grain Barnes X on Cape Buffalo when it first came out and had good results. I have never really understood the desire to step up to a larger caliber and then shoot the lightest weight bullet made for it. Still, from what I know about Barnes X bullets the 235 grain bullet will kill any thing in North America all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I been looking at bullets for black bear and griz, I was thinking of going with 235 gr. Barnes TSX, 260 Gr. Nosler Accubonds, or the 270 gr. Barnes TSX.

Trying to get a good load similar to what Double Tap Ammo has got... they are getting 3100 fps with the 235 gr and 2795 fps with the 270 Gr Barnes TSX's . the Accubonds are flying 2900 fps.

what powder would you go with?
    I have some serious doubts about those numbers from a 375 H&H...of any barrel length.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

N540 also works great with 270TSX in my rifles.

I'm getting 2900 plus out of my 375 with 300gr Sierra boattails. So I figure it should kill a bear...
    “When the people fear the government, that's tyranny; when the government fears the people, that's freedom.”

"I handload for several 375 Wbys, one of them for over 20 years. I load them pretty hot and chrono everything I shoot ... those loads match or exceed any vel's that I have ever gotten for any of the 375 Improved that I have. As an aside I had a gunsmith friend that was determined to find out the best barrel length for his 375 Improved. He started with a 30" barrel and chronographed three rounds. He then cut 1" off the barred, crowned the end and using the same lot of bullets and powder chronographed another 3 rounds. He continued doing this until the barrel was 19" long. From 30" to 20" he lost a TOTAL of 25 fps. From 20" to 19" he lost another 19 fps. Based on these results he replaced the barrel with a new 20" barrel. My fastest loads for a 270 gr. was with IMR 4064 at just over 2800 fps. "

That was a kewl experiment. i bet the muzzle blast from the 30" barrel was almost non-existent, and the blast from the 19" must have been something to behold! I'd go with a longer barrel just cuz I like them.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I'm getting 2900 plus out of my 375 with 300gr Sierra boattails. So I figure it should kill a bear...
    This is a 375H&H load thread. What type of 375 are you referring to?

If you are pushing a 375H&H with 300gr bullets to 2900fps you are way over it's designed pressure limits.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post

If you are pushing a 375H&H with 300gr bullets to 2900fps you are way over it's designed pressure limits.

marshall it is good to see you are paying attention and caught 323's joke I was wondering how long it would take someone. He is shooting a 375 Ultramag.

This thread cracks me up I don't understand it at all. One minute the OP is trying to get the max performance from a 375 H&H after seeing Double Taps claim to higher than average fps from a given weight bullet. Then he starts talking about the heavy felt recoil people have stated from his new Sako that he has yet to fire.

So why would one want to load up some rounds that produce a lot of felt recoil when they are worried about felt recoil?

In the end we are talking about a black bear load and a 375 H&H, you could load up just about any load you want with any bullet and it will work fine on black bears.

Oh well to each their own hope everyone is enjoying their spring and has a great time bear hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    marshall it is good to see you are paying attention and caught 323's joke I was wondering how long it would take someone. He is shooting a 375 Ultramag.
    Well Rob if we are going to play that game my .375 can get close to 3000 fps with 300gr bullets....lol

Well excuse me! If you want to get 2900 F.P.S with a 375 buy a 375 Ultra mag. Dont make the 375 H&H something it isn't!
    “When the people fear the government, that's tyranny; when the government fears the people, that's freedom.”

I have to agree with bronco here, any box of bullets off the shelf for a .375 is going to kill a black bear and kill it very well.

why shoot light bullets in a 375 H&H to begin with? It's difficult for me to grasp why anyone would want to shoot a 235 grain bullet in the 375. If you wanted to go that small, than a 338-06, a 338 RCM or a 338 win mag would be the ticket using 225 grain bullets. I honestly feel the whole reason to even tote a 375, is to shoot bullets above 250 grain. Those danged fake Double Tap velocity figures, messes with people's heads. That's how they make their money though.

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well excuse me! If you want to get 2900 F.P.S with a 375 buy a 375 Ultra mag. Dont make the 375 H&H something it isn't!
    Ha, I wasn't. Just looking out for the 2900fps H&H guy. If you had looked at my two posts to this thread you would have seen both leaning towards doubt and concern to his requested speed in a H&H package.

Didn't know you were trying to make a funny and didn't know you were pushing an Ultra Mag. Personally, I'm not interested in that weight and length in a 375. My little 20" 375 Ruger does just fine.

Didn't know you were trying to make a funny and didn't know you were pushing an Ultra Mag. Personally, I'm not interested in that weight and length in a 375. My little 20" 375 Ruger does just fine.
    marshall it is nice to see someone besides me likes the idea of a 375 with a 20" barrel length. Don't think about bringing up barrels under 24" with 323 he will start accusing you of all sorts of bad things.

Mainer, lately you and I have been on the same page, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. If a man has a 375 H&H (for decades arguably the best all-around cartridge for big game the world over) and wants to use if for whatever, then more power to him. Shouldn't he use the most effective loads possible for the game at hand? Black bear aren't hard to kill, so the 235 grain bullet at around 2600 fps is more than enough and won't beat him up with recoil, either.

But if hunting where you might encounter grizz, then use the 270 grain bullets at the same or even higher velocity, as they are more stoutly constructed and will penetrate better on the bigger, tougher bears.

When I deer hunt with my 35 Whelen AI I don't use 250 grain Partitions at 2600 fps. I use 200 grain Hornadys at 2800 fps, because they open up faster and kill quicker on the light skinned game.

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post

But if hunting where you might encounter grizz, then use the 270 grain bullets at the same or even higher velocity, as they are more stoutly constructed and will penetrate better on the bigger, tougher bears.

When I deer hunt with my 35 Whelen AI I don't use 250 grain Partitions at 2600 fps. I use 200 grain Hornadys at 2800 fps, because they open up faster and kill quicker on the light skinned game.

Little bit different up here, if you're hunting in Alaska, you're liable to encounter a grizz at any moment, for example: on a gutpile, a carcass during the hike or float, or coming to sniff out the fresh blood in the air when you start skinning that black bear.

It's a bit different than white tail deer hunting my friend, I choose 375, 9.3, and 358 caliber rifles for this very reason, to be prepared for that moment when I'm challenged for my meat and hide, or when momma bear explodes into the river at my boat, or when I accidentally stumble on a carcass.

Had a blood shot mess of my moose meat with that very same bullet you down-load for deer, wouldn't dare point it at a grizz if I found myself in a pinch. It took me a good 5 minute stare at a massive grizzly 20 yds from my boat to help sculpt my preferences. As he stood there, I thought how he looked like a sheet of plywood, with a big head on top. Griz aren't supposed to be that big where I hunt, surprise to me I guess. When a man purchases a nice heavy 375 H & H rifle, it won't be punishing with a 260-300 grain bullet, nor will you gain anything from a light/shorter bullet. When you step up to cartridges of this power level, a bit of healthy recoil is a given. Heading towards my older years, I seem to prefer simplicity and as few loads for my rifles as possible.

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Heading towards my older years, I seem to prefer simplicity and as few loads for my rifles as possible.
    For a "one gun, one load" kinda guy the .375 with a 260AB@ 2700 would be a pretty good answer. I'm kinda following Mainer's logic that just about any hunt can turn into a griz hunt, just about any time. I know the .375 can get pretty comforting with you stumble over a big steamin' pile of berry colored scat.

I've toyed with the idea of using my .375 for everything, while it seems like too much of a good thing at times. I'm probably going to take mine black bear hunting this spring. What I really want is a .375 with mountain rifle dimensions...good slim stock, reasonably light for the high country. After messing with the .375 Ruger a fair bit, perhaps a cleaned up Alaskan in a better stock might be in order.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast