Thread: HELP Mike LArdy programs (TRM or TRT)

Default HELP Mike LArdy programs (TRM or TRT)

Was on the internet about to purchase Mike Lardy's TRT and saw a discount for TRT and TRM. Now confused-- does TRT not cover marking and if so why do you need TRM. Can not afford both right now but definately want my youngster on a program -- she is ready and I need the help.

Help please which one -- want to get this ordered so I can get started.

Thanks

If you can only afford one, get the TRT set. It's been years and years since I watched the TRM tapes. Mine are so old they're VHS, as were my TRT tapes until the last year or two. I vaguely remember being disappointed with the marking tapes. Can't remember why, probably lack of working with factors and what kind of standards to shoot for.

The TRT tapes don't have much, if any, marking in them. It's mostly about the steps you need to go through and how to get the control necessary to get your dog to the advanced level of running blinds. Really, it's a whole series of step by step methods for control and blind work. You need the control the blind work gives you to teach your dog advanced marking.

Thanks Howard. What do you think about some of the other programs -- say Fowl Dogs or Dan Hosford? These seem to be a bit cheaper but cheaper is not always better. I know that you I need to get one program and stick with it so I do not want to waste time or money with trying out some of the others but if they are good programs overall why not save a buck.

Also I would assume it is ok to view some of the other training DVDs like evan graham etc just to see techniques. OR does this promote straying from the program you are on. This young pup has tons of zeal, a willingness to learn I am pumped and want to ensure I do things right.

thanks again

NDH Remember the cost of training videos is peanuts compared to the overall cost of dog ownership. I have several training tapes from various trainers. The Mike Lardy TRT tapes are good, worth the money but very involved. I don't know to what level your taking your dog but if you want to go to the retriever trial levels then it would be a good choice. If your just looking for a good "meat dawg" hunting partner I would suggest Chris Akin's Duck Dog Basics. It will get you started for about $20. Don't over look local training classes. You will learn from others and your dog will get the exposer to lots of distractions that you will never get out of a DVD. Duckdon

Join the M.S.G.D.A. and you can use them from there library.

Quote Originally Posted by 28 GA View Post
    Join the M.S.G.D.A. and you can use them from there library.
    This is a good idea.

Way ahead of you guys -- already did and also signed up for the banquet on 14 April. Now just have to wait until the librarian gets back so I can actually pick up the DVDs. I went ahead and ordered the Lardy Vol 1 though. Wish the MSGDA had the second edition but i would imagine the 1st edition will work just fine.

NDH Welcome to the club, As a member of MSGDA you have input on what we do. We do currently add to the library every year. If the newer edition is alot different than the 1st we would look at adding that to the library. We have just ordered more DVD's and they will be available to the membership soon. Keep your eyes on the website for availability. Once again Welcome. We look forward to seeing you at the banquet and the events.

MSGDA Board

I am not sure what the difference it between first and second edition. anybody want to weigh in here. Hoping Howard or Linda Wetland retrievers etc will post as I would bet they may have an idea. As far as new material what about Dan Hosford (sp) or Fowl Dawgs. i understand Fowl dawgs is suppose to be a good program and Hosford is as well. This is just from me reading have not seen either just putting it out there for discussion.

I am excited to be a member and can not wait for the banquet and the fun hunt.

All of the Hosford DVDs were ordered last week and should arrive any time. We also just ordered two other DVDs from Bill Hillman, "traffic cop", and "The fetch command". Once we get them all they will be posted on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by kodyb View Post
    All of the Hosford DVDs were ordered last week and should arrive any time. We also just ordered two other DVDs from Bill Hillman, "traffic cop", and "The fetch command". Once we get them all they will be posted on the website.
    Thanks -- can not wait I am sure there will be a waiting line but I will definately be in it. the wife will be gone for the next several weeks so looks like me and dogs have some videos to watch. She is just shaking her head right now -- says they are not kids ..I disagree.

The difference between Lardy's TRT and TRT 2nd edition is mainly that TRT was the taping of a Lardy training seminar. What you see is a Lardy seminar complete with scared dog being towed in front of strange people in a strange barn during a rainstorm with rain hitting a tin roof. TRT 2nd edition is more the documentation of Lardy's training sequence. So you see more Lardy training dogs following his program, rather than other people working dogs and Lardy commentating on it. TRT 2nd edition is a more complete thought out program. About a third to half of the stuff in TRT 2nd edition is new. The TRT didn't have force fetch in it. TRT 2nd edition, while it doesn't show a complete step by step force fetch program, it does show enough so you know what force fetch is and can apply it with some common sense. TRT 2nd edition is much better, more of a complete program than TRT.

I haven't seen the Hosford videos so can't comment on them. I have seen Hosford at different events over the past 20 years however, his dogs are trained.

I like Fowl Dawgs. It's pretty much a Lardy like program but cut down to 3 DVD's. It's not as complete and you don't see as smooth and as polished a production but he does show some real training with a real dog and not a dog who is advanced well beyond the phase of training being shown so he just smoothly goes through routine. Jeez, how's that for a run on sentence?